• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Another guy on Youtube going to visit Danny down in texas....

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Actually ... you are only paying $50 more than the normal version Funk w/ the V6 OpAmp + stand upgrade; and you get these for free:
- Super Charger 5A power supply ($345)
- Jay's mod including power supply circuit mod (MCPS)
- special gold/black color schema
So for those that are interested in a Funk already ... this is the version to get ... 52 units left as of now.

And No I am not buying one myself :)
Seems like they have 30-day return privilege. So how about one of you volunteer to buy the normal and special version for testing? :) We could see if there is anything to Jay's claims here regarding improvements.

nsfgp

Sorry to disappoint and thanks for the proposal. Not going to play along with that. Cashflow aside (2 DAC/2 Amp purchased recently) ... I mainly only deal with Amazon US now for any equipment purchase for their service when I can. Have had enough lessons learned with buying remote.
And I have no intention to buy this amp anyway in any form/packages available. Not to mention no interest to read their return-policy fine-prints (who knows if similar to those of GR-Research :p)

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To be specific, Burson’s fine print is a 10% transaction fee on returns. So the eval period has a comparable money grab to their high margin upgrades - no thanks.

As to the Jay amp, the $795 is a promo price and I was referring to the $1200 normal price. In either case, the value is just not there for me. :(

Last edited:

ta240

Major Contributor
To be specific, Burson’s fine print is a 10% transaction fee on returns. So the eval period has a comparable money grab to their high margin upgrades - no thanks.

I notice most places are doing that now. Even the ones that say "free returns". It has changed drastically from when nearly all the online manufactures were "Try it at home, free shipping both ways". I wonder if it is in response to so many people buying them to do reviews and returning them or if too many people were just trying everything to see what it sounded like with no real interest in keeping anything.

delta76

Major Contributor
I notice most places are doing that now. Even the ones that say "free returns". It has changed drastically from when nearly all the online manufactures were "Try it at home, free shipping both ways". I wonder if it is in response to so many people buying them to do reviews and returning them or if too many people were just trying everything to see what it sounded like with no real interest in keeping anything.
When you are new in the market, that is one additional cost you would have to factor in. Basically you need to burn money to get your name known and gain some trust from customers.

10% restocking fees for a new player on market, and is only guaranteed by a relatively unknown youtuber? No thanks. Better spend money else where

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
In part, online dealers offered free returns to compete with brick and mortar stores where you could go and audition multiple units before you buy. Now that these stores are almost gone and people have been programed to buy online they no longer have to do that. Win win for the dealers, no store or employees to support, same price. You know who the losers are. Were burning the wrong amazon.

BeachFunk

Not sure it helps to call them liars. Do you reject the idea that they actually believe what they say?

Astounding numbers of people in the world believe astounding things. Being mistaken - that is being human - is the more charitable, parsimonious inference, IMO.
Some actually believe what they say and some lie for financial (or other) gain.

Jukebox

He eventually went to Danny and made a factory tour and this A-B cable blind test

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
He eventually went to Danny and made a factory tour and this A-B cable blind test

I watched most of the video.

8/10 not statistically significant. But I'd still like any ASR members who can bear watching the video to comment. They describe the test, talk about what makes the GR cable "technically better" and then go in to the "mystery of why you can't measure the changes to the musical signal."

Of course it all huzzahs from the GR research fans in the comments, figuring "this will silence the ASR guys!"

Bruce Morgen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I watched most of the video.

8/10 not statistically significant. But I'd still like any ASR members who can bear watching the video to comment. They describe the test, talk about what makes the GR cable "technically better" and then go in to the "mystery of why you can't measure the changes to the musical signal."

Of course it all huzzahs from the GR research fans in the comments, figuring "this will silence the ASR guys!"

Knowing Jay (and Danny), any dissenting voices will be muzzled in short order. :facepalm:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I wish Jay had solicited input before conducting this test. I would have for example, repeated the same track 10+ times and see the consistency in him guessing that one right with random switching of the cables.

The 2 hour video is not up yet so we need to wait to see that. We may get some answers there.

Either way, it was a good effort. Can't take that away from them.

lemnoc

The thing is why did he choose to use tube amp which no doubt would have had a high output impedance where cable parasitics would have had the most effect ?? According to that video it was an amp he rarely used ??

maty

Major Contributor
The correct thing is 8/9 because detecting differences in recordings usually quite bad (in sound quality) such as those of the AC/DC group is very difficult.

With a much lower equipment than yours I also detected differences more than ten years ago, when replacing the typical OFC speaker cable with the current Kimber Kable 8PR (interlaced too, less RF interferences): more details and, above all, more bass.

It also easily detected differences between 16/44, 24/96 and 24/192.

One of the key factors is to have a clean power. My electrical network is very noisy and with a lot of continuous (almost 3 Vdc, I know, incredible) -> Schaffner RF/EMI filters + Würther 150 kHz ferrites + DC Blockers.

Also, by improving the tweeter filter components of my coaxial KEF Q100 the difference was very appreciable, incredible (I love the Miflex bypass cap). And Mills resistor.

Old picture

Attachments

• KEF-Q100-crossover-with-Mills-06R8-5-watts-resistor.png
    KEF-Q100-crossover-with-Mills-06R8-5-watts-resistor.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 41
Last edited:

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Forum Donor

I thought this "Kid" had potential, but after seeing this video, seems he is just falling in line with Danny and his ilk. He talks about MUCH MUCH BETTER sounding with Danny's speaker cables......:facepalm::facepalm:

Thirteen or so minutes in for those that get bored easily!
He never had any potential (as 90% of the reviewers from youtube), regardless his love with Danny's cables.

lemnoc

If it's any good I will order a reel of that cable from alibaba and make my own cables. Thanks Danny for the heads-up :D LOL

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
He's full of hot air. :facepalm: I watched his review videos and he waxes on and on about sounds and what he hears.

He’s just part of the showbiz side of Youtube. Carefully crafted make-believe with sponsorships and product placements. We might as well get worked up over how realistic an Ironman suit is.

lemnoc

I wish Jay had solicited input before conducting this test. I would have for example, repeated the same track 10+ times and see the consistency in him guessing that one right with random switching of the cables.

The 2 hour video is not up yet so we need to wait to see that. We may get some answers there.

Either way, it was a good effort. Can't take that away from them.
Better still do what the late John Dunlavy used to do and use the same Radio Shack speaker cable all of the time and pretend that you are swapping them in and out and you'd be surprised how many times people thought there were differences in the sound stage when they thought their favourite cables were being used :D LOL

SimpleTheater

Forum Donor
For us stats challenged, why is 8/10 not statistically sig?

And what is?

And what's the formula
8 out of 10 is significant. Only a 5% chance of getting it right by guessing. The issue is this was a massively flawed blind test. Video coming.

Top Bottom