• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). There are daily reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Another guy on Youtube going to visit Danny down in texas....

ta240

Addicted to Fun and Learning
According to their site "We don’t advertise, buy reviews, nor attend trade-shows, " So did Jay and the other youtube reviewers pay for the ones they use? If not they are getting some high quality infomercials, paid for with product.

mhardy6647

Master Contributor
Every time I see this thread's title pop up when I search "new posts", I get the mental image of a surly, burly guy* carrying a tire iron "going down to visit Danny". ;)

ta240

So, you have to tune amps for a lush mid range and a tube-like sound.

What a fool I am, I thought the goal of an amp was to take an input signal and increase it's amplitude, while doing as little else to it as possible. :rolleyes:

I don't have a problem with an amp having a sound signature, if that is what people want then yay for them. Especially if it is advertised as such. I mean, sure, the way they word it makes it sound better (they can't say we muddy the midrange to make it sound smooth) but if you know that for you it isn't then you can avoid it.

I am curious beyond imagining due to expectation, what causes the sound differences. Does a lot of distortion sound smoother? Does less bass make the midrange stand out more? Does a bit of increase in the high frequencies make it 'sparkle'. I would think there would always be trade-offs for increasing something in the audio. The caveat always included with 'all amps sound the same' is 'functioning correctly'. So what do the different parts of not functioning properly sound like? It would be interesting to get people to comment on a variety of amps with different issues, or a single amp with the issues artificially added, as to what they noticed in the sound.

Plcamp

It would be interesting to get people to comment on a variety of amps with different issues
I bought two Adcom 535II power amps from different local guys selling them. They both sounded dull compared to a Hafler, and one was even nasty.

The nasty one was hacked by someone to add a new isolation capacitor in the feedback of the input diffpair. The input dc offset opamp was crusty with some spill. fixed that. Cleaned everything, discovered input diffpair transistors had big gain mismatch, and fixed that. Unit runs perfectly since.

Second unit was (I think) untouched, but again needed a clean and diffpair transistor match. Listening to it right now.

They were both very dirty. Sticky dirt.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, looks like we got the answer sooner than I had expected...

Me too! Not suprisingly, he appears to be targeting a niche of high end audiophile wanna-bees. For $1200 can get a nice stereo Purifi amp. This Burson looks like more bling. Would be interested to see how the basic version tests. Would not pay 2-3 times more for the Jay variant (EDIT) vs the base price. :(

Last edited:

nsfgp

Actually ... you are only paying $50 more than the normal version Funk w/ the V6 OpAmp + stand upgrade; and you get these for free:
- Super Charger 5A power supply ($345)
- Jay's mod including power supply circuit mod (MCPS)
- special gold/black color schema
So for those that are interested in a Funk already ... this is the version to get ... 52 units left as of now.

And No I am not buying one myself :)

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
"Celebrity" reviewer endorsements can surely cut both ways.

I find the way that Jay Lee guy pontificates whilst looking pained and earnest, incredibly irritating, such that I wouldn't go anywhere near a product that he endorsed.

Last edited:

Cbdb2

Actually ... you are only paying $50 more than the normal version Funk w/ the V6 OpAmp + stand upgrade; and you get these for free:
So for those that are interested in a Funk already ... this is the version to get ... 52 units left as of now.

No your only selling them. And Burson opamps only advantage over real opamps is there marketing BS. I expected the same for that amp and there it is.

ta240

"Celebrity" reviewer endorsements can surely cut both ways.

I find the way that Jay Lee guy pontificates whilst looking pained and earnest, incredibly irritating, such that I wouldn't go anywhere near a product that he endorsed.

You perfectly put into words what makes me turn those videos off every time.

It is infomercials with overacting. Somehow a lot of people connect with that :rolleyes: because the number of channels hosted that way is increasing. That and the folksy "I'm just a guy talking to you about audio, because I like you." seem to be taking over.

nsfgp

No your only selling them. And Burson opamps only advantage over real opamps is there marketing BS. I expected the same for that amp and there it is.
I thought about selling them ... but decided not to because they don't have Tube Connectors on them; does not come with power cord w/ a plug that has a "moving" sleeve; and they did not called it some kind of "Giant Killer 2.0". :D
Joking aside ... I only posted above trying to point out some price/feature information after seeing Rick's message. He mistaken this thing cost $1200 ... instead of $850 shipped. Not trying to promote it or saying it is a good amp. I have never tried any Burson product myself.
I pointed out the fact that if someone is going to buy the regular Funk w/ the OpA/stand upgrade for $744; they should pay $795 for this package instead and have the Super Charger 5A included that would have caused him/her $345 extra (if only for resale later on). Shipping is the same $55 either way.

Sorry for interrupting your intended discussion. :)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Seems like they have 30-day return privilege. So how about one of you volunteer to buy the normal and special version for testing? :) We could see if there is anything to Jay's claims here regarding improvements.

nsfgp

Sorry to disappoint and thanks for the proposal. Not going to play along with that. Cashflow aside (2 DAC/2 Amp purchased recently) ... I mainly only deal with Amazon US now for any equipment purchase for their service when I can. Have had enough lessons learned with buying remote.
And I have no intention to buy this amp anyway in any form/packages available. Not to mention no interest to read their return-policy fine-prints (who knows if similar to those of GR-Research :p)

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To be specific, Burson’s fine print is a 10% transaction fee on returns. So the eval period has a comparable money grab to their high margin upgrades - no thanks.

As to the Jay amp, the $795 is a promo price and I was referring to the $1200 normal price. In either case, the value is just not there for me. :(

Last edited:

ta240

To be specific, Burson’s fine print is a 10% transaction fee on returns. So the eval period has a comparable money grab to their high margin upgrades - no thanks.

I notice most places are doing that now. Even the ones that say "free returns". It has changed drastically from when nearly all the online manufactures were "Try it at home, free shipping both ways". I wonder if it is in response to so many people buying them to do reviews and returning them or if too many people were just trying everything to see what it sounded like with no real interest in keeping anything.

Jim Taylor

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
. I wonder if it is in response to so many people buying them ... and returning them or if too many people were just trying everything to see what it sounded like with no real interest in keeping anything.

Ya think? :rolleyes: Jim

delta76

I notice most places are doing that now. Even the ones that say "free returns". It has changed drastically from when nearly all the online manufactures were "Try it at home, free shipping both ways". I wonder if it is in response to so many people buying them to do reviews and returning them or if too many people were just trying everything to see what it sounded like with no real interest in keeping anything.
When you are new in the market, that is one additional cost you would have to factor in. Basically you need to burn money to get your name known and gain some trust from customers.

10% restocking fees for a new player on market, and is only guaranteed by a relatively unknown youtuber? No thanks. Better spend money else where

Cbdb2

In part, online dealers offered free returns to compete with brick and mortar stores where you could go and audition multiple units before you buy. Now that these stores are almost gone and people have been programed to buy online they no longer have to do that. Win win for the dealers, no store or employees to support, same price. You know who the losers are. Were burning the wrong amazon.

BeachFunk

Not sure it helps to call them liars. Do you reject the idea that they actually believe what they say?

Astounding numbers of people in the world believe astounding things. Being mistaken - that is being human - is the more charitable, parsimonious inference, IMO.
Some actually believe what they say and some lie for financial (or other) gain.

Top Bottom