• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Another guy on Youtube going to visit Danny down in texas....

Music1969

Major Contributor
Agree about the flaws.

The first 5 minutes is also Danny giving excuses about the songs picked

I don't get it - it's his system. Why pick the songs and then give complaining excuses?

mmuetst

GR Research did a "blind" test with speaker cables and find 8 out of 10 to be his (Dannies) cable.​

So, what do we think about this test? It will fail the standard for correct double blind testing. Still, if this is done honestly, 8 out of 10 is pretty neat.
Time for Danny to invite @amirm to come over and do the test again?

Last edited:

test1223

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I guess you can hear a different plug in / out sound from the cable in the video. So it is a cue which is most like used to unconsciously select the right cable.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i mean this one is obvious

if i pick 8 out of 10 in what is an imperfect test then what is there to argue about? you're going to get questionable results positive or negative

JSmith

Master Contributor
@mmuetst , there is a discussion here;

JSmith

mmuetst

Personally, I take a very sober view of this test. Supposing he can tell the difference without cheating, Danny still has to do his best to hear the difference. It's not like it sounds terrible compared to the other cable. It is nice that they already indicate in the pre-announcement that acoustics are much more important. And that's how I am in it.
I listen to music, not difference in cables.

test1223

I think you can hear a difference of the plug in / plug out sound from both cables. This might be the (unconscious?) clue to detect which cable is which.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
@mmuetst , there is a discussion here;

JSmith
Duplicate Threads merged here. Thanks.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
An accurate comparison NEVER involves hooking and unhooking portions of the setup, especially cables or interconnects. Instead, a switchbox is used, and switching is done instantly. This was drilled into my head over 20 years ago by professionals, and demonstrations proved it. Yet today, it's ignored. I can't help but think this is deliberate.

Not only that, but the comment, " ... I'm listening to a pretty short segment" is misleading. Selected samples that are very short in duration, switched quickly, provide the best conditions for people to accurately assess whether there are differences between the two samples. That's true for hearing, and as far as I know it's true for sight.

The more I watch Danny, the more I'm becoming convinced that he knows exactly what he's doing ....... and I don't mean that in a good way.

Jim
The only thing Blind about this test was the blindness towards adherence to Science. So many tells and no use of a neutral party makes the results tainted. Does anybody really expect that a person who makes a living selling expensive speaker wire is suddenly going to admit he can’t hear a difference?

test1223

I don't think that they maliciously faked this test. I honestly think they aren't aware of the details of the test. Of cause it would be ideal to have a remote switching device where the listener can instantly switch between both cables. But you can't simply buy such a device. I think you have to build one since there are very few people interested in it. My guess is that they try the best to make an accurate blind test and I liked the effort they put into it even if the test might not be correct. It puts blind test in the spotlight and that is one of the best things which can happen for good audio reviews.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't think that they maliciously faked this test. I honestly think they aren't aware of the details of the test.
If you as a commercial company do such a test to prove your product works, and you fail to adhere to even the basics that such a test needs, you are either totally incompetent and/or failed to do the most basic research before constructing such a test and/or are not really interested in a genuine result. None of these options makes you look good.
But you can't simply buy such a device. I think you have to build one since there are very few people interested in it.
Of course, you can buy such a box. And otherwise, you can build one with little effort. If one is really interested in the science, one puts in the time and effort.

delta76

Major Contributor
I don't think that they maliciously faked this test. I honestly think they aren't aware of the details of the test. Of cause it would be ideal to have a remote switching device where the listener can instantly switch between both cables. But you can't simply buy such a device. I think you have to build one since there are very few people interested in it. My guess is that they try the best to make an accurate blind test and I liked the effort they put into it even if the test might not be correct. It puts blind test in the spotlight and that is one of the best things which can happen for good audio reviews.
it's up to you to do the test properly. it does not take a lot of time or effort to research on how to do ABX. you can test the way you want, and you can make excuses for the lack of fund or time, but that only damages your credibility.
sadly the average critical thinking of audio world is pretty low, many will accept their test as a proof that more expensive cables = better.

Tassin

test1223

Of course, you can buy such a box.
Do you have some names or links, I was once interested in buying one and I couldn't find anything useful.
If you as a commercial company do such a test to prove your product works, and you fail to adhere to even the basics that such a test needs, you are either totally incompetent and/or failed to do the most basic research before constructing such a test and/or are not really interested in a genuine result. None of these options makes you look good.
Come on the company is a one man show and no multi million dollar business. If there weren't the plug in /out sounds it would be a good enough blind test. Of cause you can fake everything from giving hidden hints to even fake a whole video. It is completely destructive to assume fraud if there could be other explanations. They put in the effort to do a test and it wasn't perfect but better than most other hifi-tests. Yes there is most likely a somehow twisted frequency response or detection by the plug in /out sound. They did such a test which is a good start and if all calm down they even might do another test with a better methodology in the future.

Most of the voodoo-hifi guys honestly believing in their stuff and it is hard to convince them of the truth since they have made a big emotional and financial investment in that voodoo stuff.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you have some names or links, I was once interested in buying one and I couldn't find anything useful.
Not at the moment, but I've seen these devices advertised
Come on the company is a one man show and no multi million dollar business
PS Audio is not a on-man-show ;) Thinking this is a Jay-only action is too narrow-minded.
It is completely destructive to assume fraud if there could be other explanations.
Hanlons razer:
Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I own one of these. It’s even fancy enough to let you daisy chain multiple units in case you have a biamped system and want to swap multiple things at once.

Edit: You can get these off eBay for a lot less. The power supply is switching, universal voltage. The remote uses a button battery. It uses Luxman grade audiophile level relays, etc.

There is a RCA unbalanced based switching unit too.

Last edited:

DanielT

Major Contributor
And if we assume that a speaker switch had been used and that Danny would NOT have been able to hear any difference what do you think his comment would have been?
Of course this: The fact that I couldn't hear any difference is because the cables go through the switch and it degrades the sound, that the speaker switch affects so that.....and so on.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And there are others, depending on what you want to do and how you want to do it .....
Agreed. Plenty of switchers. The Luxman just brings “audiophile credibility” (unit and remote are made in Japan, AC adapter isn’t). A criticism for subjectivists is that an ABX box deteriorates the sound quality so that subtle differences are lost. I got my used after buying something else used, and having it refunded because it broke.

For the record, I used the switcher to do rapid switching between a few different passive bookshelves as I went through my different options and ultimately chose the Onkyo D-TK10 as my final option.

I then compared it to my JBL 708P and lo and behold, they measure way closer than I would have predicted! (See my signature)

Top Bottom