• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Andrew Jones MoFi Speakers

cavedriver

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Why not?

So far there's zero evidence that these are in any way exceptional.
Yeah, that was a badly reworded post. I wrote it first referring to speakers that generally measure poorly, didn't mean "no one" in general, just anyone that is on ASR for the measurements. Of course many people in the general public like the speakers I gave as examples.

airgas1998

Apart from that. That wooden box is awful to me. Optically continuing the interesting shape of the front baffle would have been a sexy package. Like it is now it’s a no go just for the looks.
i guess it supposedly was targeted for "mid-century" looks. why I have no idea maybe a certain audience....

Doenerkunde

There seems to be competition for the Mo-Fis. Just days before the MoFi were announced, the danish brand Vestlyd was introduced. Both are offering big 2 way coaxials with the Vestlyds being much cheaper (and using a compression tweeter with a cutoff frequency of 1.1khz).

vestlyd.jpg

Last edited:

John57

It seems that the Vestlyds is going for volume, high SPL levels. The best thing in life is not the loudest in my book.

cavedriver

There seems to be competition for the Mo-Fis. Just days before the MoFi were announced, the danish-german brand Vestlyd was introduced. Both are offering big 2 way coaxials with the Vestlyds being much cheaper (and using a compression tweeter with a cutoff frequency of 1.1khz).
The compression tweeter appears to be much closer in implementation to Tannoy/Fyne designs. I would not expect the same behavior as the SP10's, although I will add that based on Matt Hooper's comments the SP10's seem to be somewhere in a middle ground between a KEF/Elac concentric arrangement and a Tannoy/Fyne "tulip" compression arrangement. I'm specifically referring to Matt's comments about the SP10's sensitivity to placement and narrowness of optimum listener position. When I've heard the Fyne's (502SP's) and gotten to play around with them a little the first thing that jumped out at me was their extremely narrow placement limitations. If you didn't toe them in to just the right angle the whole illusion fell apart completely. To me this is a big weakness and it's one area that I'm really paying attention to on the SP10's for fear that they will be similarly limited. The SP10's appear to have a very short "horn" that's just about 3/8 of an inch deep before transitioning to the surface of the woofer cone, so not a tulip but distinctly deeper than the KEF and Elac arrangements.

Edit: I should add that for some people this behavior of the Tannoy/Fyne's might be desired if you're the only listener and you're looking for some kind of optimum "imaging resolution", assuming the Tannoy/Fyne approach can actually improve on other strategies.

Newman

Major Contributor
It seems that the Vestlyds is going for volume, high SPL levels. The best thing in life is not the loudest in my book.
Their own words are, “Vestlyd was born in 2021 in admiration of the classical loudspeakers where dynamics, sound pressure and that certain “live-feeling” was more important than design.”

Which is not so much “going for volume” as the same kind of ‘dynamic live feeling sonics’ that the PointSource literature suggests they want it to convey.

4CA024F8-2D80-4411-8BCF-B95B8BADFE45.jpeg

Based purely on literature, specs, and price, the V12C looks like a winner vs PS10.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Their own words are, “Vestlyd was born in 2021 in admiration of the classical loudspeakers where dynamics, sound pressure and that certain “live-feeling” was more important than design.”

Which is not so much “going for volume” as the same kind of ‘dynamic live feeling sonics’ that the PointSource literature suggests they want it to convey.

View attachment 253353

Based purely on literature, specs, and price, the V12C looks like a winner vs PS10.

Gotta say, I like the look of those V12C speakers. I like the balance of the drivers to the dimensions of the speaker. Another speaker I'd enjoy checking out.

I seem to generally prefer a speaker whose dispersion is even/wide enough so I don't notice tonal balance shifts easily. But I'm still open to a great experience from a more directional speaker. (The old Dunlavy speakers were pretty notorious for aiming at a very fixed listener position, and they sounded very nice in that sweet spot).

oversky

Gotta say, I like the look of those V12C speakers. I like the balance of the drivers to the dimensions of the speaker. Another speaker I'd enjoy checking out.

I seem to generally prefer a speaker whose dispersion is even/wide enough so I don't notice tonal balance shifts easily. But I'm still open to a great experience from a more directional speaker. (The old Dunlavy speakers were pretty notorious for aiming at a very fixed listener position, and they sounded very nice in that sweet spot).
Vestlyd does clam “WIDE SWEET SPOT”.
V12C_take5_Directivity_hor_90_540x.png

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd love to see the the frequency response on those Vestlyds, or at least the -3dB point. The price is fantastic. I love the comments about the inspiration taken from classic 70's power speakers. I remember fondly my Cerwin Vega! 313 12" 3-ways, my first real speaker.

Martin

don'ttrustauthority

Forum Donor
I realize that, and turntables and cartridges only recently. To my knowledge they don't have an amplifier line to compete with. I think making these amplified would be a minimal cost (compared to purchase price) and make them a more appealing product. I don't see a lot of hifi people laying out that kind of money for Mofi speakers, but there are a lot of well-heeled record people that might.
These are for tube lovers. This is not a lot of money for a speaker. This is what most people with nice homes spend on speakers if they want nice speakers.

The only time I was tempted to spend that much money on speaker was when Amir put his Revel's up for sale. Sadly he's across the country.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
meh.
it's a lotta money. :cool:

FWIW, I don't think we're talking meticulous hand crafting here -- I suspect we're talkin' "build to spec" contracted to a sweatshop-style Asian contract manufacturer.
And a nice gross margin for... well... MoFi, I guess.
:rolleyes:

olbobcat

The Vestlyd reminds me of Tannoy. Looks like they have 15's as well I would love to hear both of them. Music Direct has to have a pair of Mofi. Might have to take a field trip. Not in the market for anything but always interested with what is out there.

Descartes

Major Contributor
The Vestlyd reminds me of Tannoy. Looks like they have 15's as well I would love to hear both of them. Music Direct has to have a pair of Mofi. Might have to take a field trip. Not in the market for anything but always interested with what is out there.
Yes unfortunately the Vestyd are not sold in the US!

RobL

Vestlyd is another Peter Lyngdorf endeavor, and sell from his Hi-Fi Klubben chain…

cavedriver

Thinking again about what Andrew Jones might be designing as a follow-up to these speakers. The obvious choices would be a floor stander and a smaller actual bookshelf speaker. The tower is the thing I'm wondering about. One weakness of the SP10 is that it's bottom end is spec'd as 42 Hz. Thinking of the $4k speaker thread here on ASR, this frequency range would not make the SP10's "full range", and therefore precludes them from that list. I suppose a tower version of these might look like a Fyne F703 in the sense of having a 10" bass driver and a 10" mid/bass with the same concentric tweeter. Of course then they wouldn't be "source points" to the degree the current ones are but it wouldn't be that critical for the bass only speaker just as in so many other designs.

oversky

Vestlyd does claim “WIDE SWEET SPOT”.
V12C_take5_Directivity_hor_90_540x.png
Read the plot again, the green color scales from 80 to 95 dB?
It may not be as smooth as the figure suggests.

cavedriver

Thinking again about what Andrew Jones might be designing as a follow-up to these speakers. The obvious choices would be a floor stander and a smaller actual bookshelf speaker. The tower is the thing I'm wondering about. One weakness of the SP10 is that it's bottom end is spec'd as 42 Hz. Thinking of the $4k speaker thread here on ASR, this frequency range would not make the SP10's "full range", and therefore precludes them from that list. I suppose a tower version of these might look like a Fyne F703 in the sense of having a 10" bass driver and a 10" mid/bass with the same concentric tweeter. Of course then they wouldn't be "source points" to the degree the current ones are but it wouldn't be that critical for the bass only speaker just as in so many other designs.
Answering my own question, lol: AJ should build subwoofer/stands for the SP10s, ala the Genelec W371a's, only not as expensive :)

YesChickenNuggets

Thinking again about what Andrew Jones might be designing as a follow-up to these speakers. The obvious choices would be a floor stander and a smaller actual bookshelf speaker. The tower is the thing I'm wondering about.
If they're still on the path of retro-cool, why not bring back the refrigerator sized towers for epic bass.

It literally takes up the same amount of space regardless of how tall the speaker is. The floor space footprint on any speaker really, is about the same, we payed for the vertical height of rooms, why not use it. :D

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
If they're still on the path of retro-cool, why not bring back the refrigerator sized towers for epic bass.

It literally takes up the same amount of space regardless of how tall the speaker is. The floor space footprint on any speaker really, is about the same, we payed for the vertical height of rooms, why not use it. :D
I'm with ya there, like the saying goes, there's no substitute for cubic inches. HELL YEA

Top Bottom