• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Andrew Jones MoFi Speakers

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Right then!

I'm going to "spill the beans" with some detail. Those who only want measurements can of course wait for that. But I know that some audiophiles, who become very interested in a product, appreciate reading some listener reports in detail while they twiddle their thumbs waiting for a chance to hear the speaker themselves. So...

I'm lucky to live in a city that still has a variety of actual audio shops where you can audition gear. I was able to sit down and listen for a while to the B&W 803 D4s and the Paradigm Founder speakers at two different stores (I was visiting to pick something else up). I heard the Audio Note speakers at the same place I listened to the Source Point 10s. (The Audio Notes sounded awful! Peaky, bright, woofy in the bottom! Very surprising and different from other times I've listened to AN speakers).

I was interested to hear the Source Point 10s (SP10s) because of course all the interest and hype on those speakers. Plus, while I do like slim floor standing speakers, I also like some of the older-school boxy wider baffle designs that have come back in to vogue (and that vogue is, I think, one reason Andrew Jones went that route). I'm not necessarily looking for a new speaker, but being a speaker whore, if I hear something different that I really like I might add it to my collection (and these were "cheap" enough to do so).

Source Point 10s:

The SP10s were in a dedicated room, I'm guessing maybe 12' wide by maybe 16' deep, set up on the short wall, pulled probably about 4 feet in to the room, mild toe in towards the seating position. Listening sofa was probably 9 feet or so from the speakers. Room had some sidewall treatment - absorption mostly I think, maybe some diffusion.

First impression visually: Everyone who has reviewed these is right. They look "kinda big" for stand mounted speakers in photos and videos, but in person you will let out an involuntary Keannu Reeves level "Whoah!" They are beasts. Big, blocky, imposing in a room. Not something one will sneak past the other half. This is dedicated room type stuff - like the speakers should be paying rent! The finish (walnut) was "nice" though not in to the "lux" category. As for wider baffle design speakers I really like the Devore O/96 which are even wider, but to me the SP10s, while not ugly (I kind of like the design) are more imposing visually, almost brutalist in their presence.

Before I get in to details, my main take away was: I get why people are liking these speakers. I can see how they will become quite popular. I personally found them to have a fairly attractive sound, as a place to visit, but not to live with, if you know what I mean. And a major take away - these beasts are finicky!
Which will come out when I try to describe what I heard.

I listened to various tracks - first selections by the salesman, Addelle, Tracy Champman (fast car), some jazz/pop, some Zeppelin, then some of my usual test tracks.

From a seat on the listening sofa, leaning forward a bit, I was probably around 8 feet from the speakers and the immediate impression was of a big, rich, warm sound with a slight peak in the upper mids/lower highs, and beyond that a slight lack of "air." So for instance a track with stand up bass, female vocals, acoustic guitar, sax, drums etc, the sound was very big, rich, room filling from the upper bass down, the vocals had enough body to sound somewhat natural, and atop that "dark rich bassy" sound there was a sparkle so that the acoustic guitars would pop out in a nice, vivid manner, as would higher vocal transients, drum cymbals, upper register of a sax being played hard. So that richness with sparkle was quite inviting, and I can see how many would like it. It did, as mentioned, seem more rolled off in the highest frequencies lacking that last bit of shimmer or 'air' that makes a cymbal sound like it pops out of the sound and could be in the room with you. So I describe this as being a bit on the "darker" side of neutral. So that immediate impression was that, yeah, these are unlikely to measure as neutral speakers. I wouldn't go so far as to say they are in the Klipsch category, but I did hear a sort of similar sculpting of the sound.

But here's the thing: then I leaned backwards, in to the back seat of the sofa. As I did so, the sound changed and snapped in to focus, brightening, sounding more coherent, but also losing richness. There was now a greater sense of vividness, snap and "realism" to drums, wood blocks, vocals etc. The bass warmth cleared up somewhat. This was a significantly different presentation! So I started experimenting with different listening positions - closer, further, moving side to side, standing up, moving off axis etc.

For imaging, the image shifted fairly quickly to one speaker as I moved off axis. The tonal balance shifted a bit, but less so. Standing up the sound significantly "lightened" in tone, the timbre gaining a bit more edge and vividness, also sounding a bit leaner. (I actually somewhat liked that tone when standing).
Way off axis, the speakers still sounded nice, though things really snapped in in the centre listening position.

This was interesting because most of my experience with coaxially mounted drivers is that they have been very tolerant of off axis listening. But I suppose this is because the ones I've heard most - e.g. the KEF speakers and my Thiels, had the tweeters mounted with much smaller drivers. In the case of my Thiel 2.7s (and the bigger 3.7s I owned), Thiel had gone to lengths to reduce the surrounding mid driver's influence on the tweeter - the mid driver surrounding the tweeter is actually flat (corrugated, actually). I have been constantly amazed at how smooth and regular the sound is from the Thiels, whether I'm closer or further to them, listening off axis, from just inside or outside the room, the general sound character remains very consistent. That's also true of my Joseph speakers. But, man, the SP10s really were sensitive to listener position! If I recall correctly, it is due to the much larger 10" driver surrounding the tweeter, which I think AJ has said act as something of a wave guide. If so, that would help explain what I was experiencing.

Since the SP10s really changed character with listening distance (at least in that room) I tried to find the balance of "rich/warm" but still vivid enough in the highs to not sound obviously rolled off, hence some excitement. I was probably about 9 to 10ish feet or so at this point.

One thing I found is that generally speaking I found the sound to remain somewhat "speakerly." By that I mean, while they did excellent, vivid point-source imaging, TONALLY the speakers didn't totally "disappear" as apparent sound sources - there was a sort of boxy-sounding warmth I was often aware of, with those slightly exaggerated upper mid peak sort of perched on top, that reminded me "I'm hearing the sound from a speaker." I can't say that whether this was a resonance from the speaker, or due to it's particular frequency response design, or if (and I think this might be likely) the way the bass frequencies were interacting with this particular room. This is one reason why I view this as a finicky speaker.

The SP10s did bass! Subjectively with tracks that had low bass they sounded deep and really room filling. However, in this room I felt really low bass, e.g. from some stand up bass and a pop track with low synth/guitar bass, there was a bit too much "bloom." On the other hand, a track I often play, "Missing" by Everything But The Girl, has a bass line that is tough for many speakers to get right - it's a very round sounding pulsing bass line that can sound very ill-defined
on lots of speakers. It sounded really well controlled, dead center in the soundstage not blurring, and tight on the SP10s, so I could hear the distinct articulation from the bass player. The fact the SP10 could sound impressively tight with some bass, but overwarm with other stuff, made me think there was possibly some room interactions not favoring this speaker in the lower regions. I was not able to get a perfect balance in this regard - if I was close enough so the sound filled out, giving warmth to sax, vocals etc the bass could be too rich, if I moved to far back, I found the sound brightened and leaned out more than I cared for.

How about the sense of dynamics? From what I heard, very good but not top tier. I think I may have been expecting a bit too much, for some reason I thought this speaker might combine something more like the dynamic life I hear from horn speakers. But it wasn't really. They sounded fun and engaging and relatively propulsive in how they combined "feel it in the whole room" bass response with those vivid upper frequencies. But when I listened for how things like horns, wood blocks, bongos etc sounded, they didn't have that "holy cow" sense of solidity and propulsion that makes me think "THAT sounds like a wood block being played right in front of me." (I DID get those type of impressions from, for instance, the Klipsche La Scalas my friend had, as well as some other horn based speakers I've heard). I actually think my Thiels give a better impression of a solid/dense object popping out in to the room than what I heard from the SP10s.
(And the Devore O/96 as well).

One of the things that stuck in my mind was hearing Led Zeppelin on the SP10s. Kashmir in this case. The sound was generally punchy and fairly vivid. But Kashmir as any Zep listener would know, doesn't actually have much low bass. It's a pretty lean recording in that regard, which is kind of good to see how a speaker handles this - the recording doesn't have much bass to speak of, but Bonham is bashing away on those drums so a speaker better translate that energy! The SP10s did so quite well. So, yeah, they rock.

But I also heard the same Zep track (and others) on the B&W 803 D4 speakers. And there was definitely a contrast in the presentations. I ultimately find the B&W sound a bit too sculpted for my taste, that rising top end etc. However, damn, they HAVE sort of perfected "that" sound, and while they may not have chosen a perfectly flat frequency response, they have otherwise gone to fairly heroic methods in the design of their drivers/enclosure, emphasis on dynamics etc.
And it shows. Zeppelin on the B&Ws had an utter, open peering-in-to-the-studio sense of clarity from top to bottom. Not a jot of blur or darkness, whether I was focusing on the guitar, super vivid vocals, sparkling clean cymbals, or the tight holographically placed bass and kick drums. The SP10s did not have this type of 'holy cow' sense of clarity and control from top to bottom. (I also find my Thiels better in that regard). The SP10s had a "sweeter" more laid back sound, even WITH their slight peak in the lower treble. Can I see someone preferring the sound of the the SP10s, which can be seen as a very nice combination of richness with some vividness, but not overbearing or "analytical" in the old school parlance. The SP10s were generally more relaxing to listen to than the always-on-the-edge-of-my-seat vivid sound from the B&Ws.

Still, by the end of my listening session with the SP10s I was starting to feel a little ear fatigue! It could be that my ears are in a more sensitive phase (I sometimes get ear sensitivity), but I do think I was reacting somewhat to that slightly peaky sounding response, even if not overtly "bright" sounding to my ears, over time.

So, that's about all I have on these things. It wasn't a long speaker audition. Nor nearly as extensive as the ones I do for a speaker that I seem to really like (where I will play with speaker positioning in a room, not just my listening position, to get to the bottom of things).

To sum up: I found the SP10s to be something of a chameleon depending on where I sat. Closer they sounded rich and warm in the upper bass down with a nice lower highs sparkle but with the highs seemingly rolled off above the attack of drum cymbals etc. Further back they snapped in as more vivid, exciting speakers, they disappeared more, though lost a bit of richness and sounded more "monitor like." But never seemingly fully neutral to my ears.

I can imagine that under the right circumstances I'd like these speakers more, if the set up was dialed in just so. And the flip side of how finicky they are can be that different listeners may be able to realize just the type of presentation they want - from vivid and monitor-like to bigger, richer, smoother and more "comfy" sounding with some attractive sparkle.

I am just as curious about how these will measure as everyone else!

Last edited:

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
LOL, from that video review: "When the speakers arrived I could not believe the SIZE of the speaker!"

Yep.

(Though if enough people comment on their size, maybe it will condition people to expect something huge and they won't seem that big once they encounter them in the wild).

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
LOL, from that video review: "When the speakers arrived I could not believe the SIZE of the speaker!"

Yep.

(Though if enough people comment on their size, maybe it will condition people to expect something huge and they won't seem that big once they encounter them in the wild).
Thank you. Very thoughtful and appreciated. Your posts always are and why I’m here.

Steven Holt

Forum Donor
Thanks, I was about to post it. Looks very promising. A 10" dual concentric could be quite a challenge, tho. The price seems right, it looks great, with solid construction:View attachment 242436View attachment 242442View attachment 242438View attachment 242439

Hope @hardisj, @amirm or @John Atkinson will have one to measure.

Whitepaper here.

ELECTRICAL SPECS

Frequency Response
42Hz-30kHz

Nominal Impedance
8 Ohms, 6.2 Ohms minimum

Sensitivity
91dB/2.83V/1m

Crossover Frequency
1.6kHz

Minimum Recommended Power
30W

Max Power Input
200W

PHYSICAL SPECS

Dimensions (WxHxD)
14.5" x 22.5" x 16.6" with grille
(368 x 572 x 422)

14.5" x 22.5" x 16" without grille
(368 x 572 x 406)

Weight
46.2 lb / 21kg each
Flanker, a question : I was looking at this post again as this speaker is getting a lot of press. The low end FR is 42Hz. But looking at the pictures, that looks like a 8 inch woofer to me. Shouldn't the low end FR be lower that 42Hz?

TimW

Major Contributor
Flanker, a question : I was looking at this post again as this speaker is getting a lot of press. The low end FR is 42Hz. But looking at the pictures, that looks like a 8 inch woofer to me. Shouldn't the low end FR be lower that 42Hz?
It's a 10" woofer... But woofers and loudspeakers can be designed with different goals which result in different performance metrics. This speaker does have a rather large midwoofer but part of its surface area is removed for the tweeter. Also It is a fairly high sensitivity speaker despite being a two-way design with a 'modest' baffle size. There are PA speakers that are even larger with 15" woofers that have even less bass extension, this is because they were designed for high efficiency and high output with subwoofers for low end extension.

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
EDIT: Posted almost concurrently with @TimW.

The woofer is a 10". The relatively high roll off frequency is due to the laws of physics. Mr. Jones chose sensitivity over extension.

I for one applaud the decision.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think these may need some dealer training. @MattHooper - your comments re imaging and moving around remind me of my past life with 12” Tannoys. They didn’t really snap into focus, or have stable imaging with small variations in listener position, until they were toed in to cross a good couple feet ahead of the main listening spot.

Your description of placement and results tells me the dealer’s setup aimed the axial cancellation notch at the listening position. That’s basically the worst thing to do with a large round waveguide.

Reactions: Zvu

John57

I also heard that Andrew wanted a low extension woofer so that the woofer wave guide for the tweeter will not move as much, which in turn can cause another form of distortion. There are tradeoffs.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think these may need some dealer training. @MattHooper - your comments re imaging and moving around remind me of my past life with 12” Tannoys. They didn’t really snap into focus, or have stable imaging with small variations in listener position, until they were toed in to cross a good couple feet ahead of the main listening spot.

Interesting. I used to listen to the Tannoy Dimension TD10s at a pal's house and quite liked them. I remember they were set up quite a distance from the listening seat, but I can't really recall much else in terms of off-axis behaviour. (They were coax with a 10" driver, though with an additional super tweeter placed on top of the cabinet). I just remember a big warm-toned dynamic sound.

Your description of placement and results tells me the dealer’s setup aimed the axial cancellation notch at the listening position. That’s basically the worst thing to do with a large round waveguide.

Yes I was getting the impression of some cancellation notches going on.** At certain positions voices could sound relatively full, at others it seemed to suffer a bit of a suck-out, thinning out the voice.

As I mentioned the speakers sounded more rolled off the closer I moved my listening position to the speaker (staying centered). That could be explained by the fact moving closer (without toeing in the speakers to compensate) puts me slightly more off-axis from the beaming tweeters. Normally to double check what is happening, if I'd move closer to a speaker I would also toe them in to see whether it's just moving slightly off axis causing the tonal change, or if something else was going on. When I auditioned the Devore speakers - wide front baffle, 10" driver, tweeter above, they tended to "darken" and loose upper frequency energy and coherence if I moved closer than 8 feet. To double check I would toe them towards me when I moved closer, but in that case it didn't really solve the issue, which suggested to me something about the crossover/driver design. Those really needed at least 8 feet to snap in to coherence.

I suspect the SP10s would hold up better listening closer if aimed properly. What do you think?

**(I know the SP10 doesn't use first order/time/phase coherent crossovers, but I've heard similar cancellation problems from speakers using first order crossovers, like Meadowlark and even old Thiel speakers, where movement, especially vertical, would notch out frequencies giving a slightly "hollow" sound to voices and upper midrange instruments)

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I also heard that Andrew wanted a low extension woofer so that the woofer wave guide for the tweeter will not move as much, which in turn can cause another form of distortion. There are tradeoffs.

I'm just going on memory from some of his interviews, but I think the idea was that a 10" woofer wouldn't have to move as much around the tweeter in terms of excursion, hence reducing it's influence on the tweeter in that sense. But aside from that, I think it's the case the 10" woofer is still acting as a sort of slight wave guide in terms of influencing tweeter dispersion, is it not?

Newman

Major Contributor
aimed the axial cancellation notch at the listening position. That’s basically the worst thing to do with a large round waveguide.
Sorry, to which notch are you referring?

the 10" woofer is still acting as a sort of slight wave guide in terms of influencing tweeter dispersion, is it not?
Inevitably.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry, to which notch are you referring?

There’s a cancellation that quickly fills in quickly on a round waveguide. That’s why, for example, the normalized Stereophile off axis plots for TAD speakers make them look like they go crazy above 8kHz or so.

KEF’s phase plug does a good job of avoiding it, and Genelec does something to address it as well. But IMO it’s not a big deal - fills in quickly off axis and can easily be addressed with extra toe in.

Newman

Major Contributor
Sorry, I'm still trying to figure how this is specific to large round waveguides? Are you instead referring to the midrange driver's cone being suboptimal for its use as a tweeter waveguide, eg sharp treatment at the 'mouth'? Causing back wave reflections to the 'throat'?

If so, instead of describing it as inherent to large round waveguides, I would describe it as a design challenge inherent to coaxial speakers.

Unless you mean something else?

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry, I'm still trying to figure how this is specific to large round waveguides? Are you instead referring to the midrange driver's cone being suboptimal for its use as a tweeter waveguide, eg sharp treatment at the 'mouth'? Causing back wave reflections to the 'throat'?

If so, instead of describing it as inherent to large round waveguides, I would describe it as a design challenge inherent to coaxial speakers.

Unless you mean something else?
It applies to round waveguides period. Coax, termination, etc. is not relevant. It's nothing but a cancellation due to the symmetry.

Size only matters in that the bigger the WG, the lower in frequency the notch occurs. A 6" WG (e.g. a 6" TAD coax) will have it at like 8-10 kHz. A 10" round waveguide (the MoFi coax, or a fixed one) will have the notch lower down.

Reactions: Zvu

NikJi

It applies to round waveguides period. Coax, termination, etc. is not relevant. It's nothing but a cancellation due to the symmetry.

Size only matters in that the bigger the WG, the lower in frequency the notch occurs. A 6" WG (e.g. a 6" TAD coax) will have it at like 8-10 kHz. A 10" round waveguide (the MoFi coax, or a fixed one) will have the notch lower down.
Probably explains why Klipsch horns are square. I always wondered that.

Newman

Major Contributor
I still think this is a bigger issue for coaxial drivers than for round horns. A round horn can be properly terminated at the mouth to minimise back wave reflections. A coaxial driver is more often going to be sharply terminated, both in terms of its functionality as a waveguide and in terms of the fact that it is primarily a midrange driver and its edge treatment needs to meet the driver's needs.

Example of a good round horn, the Geddes NS15:-
NS15.PNG

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Clearly this thread on the SP10s, just like on about every other audio forum, arose due to the hype. They seem to be the current "it" speaker that has everyone's interest. So even on that level it's interesting to see how these things pan out (especially how they measure), and to what degree they live up to the hype or not. Some gladiator watching in there :)

But I'm curious:

Are any members here actually interested in the Mo-Fi Source Point 10, eyeing them as a possible purchase (waiting to see if they meet the hype)?

The more I've thought back on listening to the SP10s, the more likely it seems to me they will sell like hot-cakes. Given the nice build quality and how, for a large stand mounted speaker the SP10s seem ready to sound convincing on all sorts of music, with an impressive sense of acoustic presence and impact, these may well fall in to the "get a lot for your money" category - at least given the type of competition and pricing one sees in lots of other high end speakers.

Of course a bunch are already selling just due to the hype, that's a given. But I can see the SP10s as a real all-rounder: so long as one is ok with their size for a stand mounted speaker, they seem ready to work very well with just about any type of music. Admittedly one thing I didn't do was crank them really loud. I probably only got to around 75 dB at the listening seat for some portions. Andrew Jones claims one of the characteristics of the speaker is being able to crank it loud without a sense of strain or distortion, and some listener reports seem to agree with this. Though I didn't go super loud, I did have the impression their character didn't change with volume and it felt like there was "plenty in the gas tank" if I had wanted to push them to party levels.

So I can see these speakers being able to please many different type of listeners. My sense was that they have a big and beefy-enough sound, and sense of dynamics and leading edge attack to do Rock, EDM, Pop, but also give nice precise insight in to the nature of recordings for those who want that, as well as doing some nice vivid timbre for jazz and acoustic music. I'm not convinced there wasn't a slight depression in the mids somewhere - I've heard voices sound a bit more filled out than on the SP10s. But voices did have a nice sense of vivid clarity and some density. But, again, I really don't feel like I got the full measure of how these can sound.

I wonder if, with the right set up speaker/listener positioning, these will actually measure fairly accurate. Andrew Jones does seem to know what he's doing. Perhaps they will be at least neutral enough to please some ASR members. In either case, even if the measure like they sounded to me in the audition, my sense is that they would be fun for all sorts of music, if you were ok with not having that last bit of neutrality but appreciated the presence these give to music.

Just musing away...

Top Bottom