• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Andrew Jones MoFi Speakers

Beave

Major Contributor
I imagine because the off-axis curves are individually taken manually. Also, realistically, most dispersion problems like a directivity mismatch in the forward radiating sound would be visible within the 120° slice measured.

When I wrote "the usual +/- 90 degrees," I was referring to Stereophile's usual measurements for bookshelf speakers, ie, they usually measure out to 90 degrees but didn't in this case. It makes comparing the graphs with other speakers they have measured a little difficult as the scales aren't the same.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The measurements have just been posted on-line at https://www.stereophile.com/content/mofi-electronics-sourcepoint-10-loudspeaker-measurements

John Atkinson
Technical Editor, Stereophile
Thank you, with that very wide radiation and slow on-axis tilted highs I expect that it can sound quite bright in many rooms as also your listening position measurement shows
123MoFi10fig6

Fig.6 MoFi SourcePoint 10, spatially averaged, 1/6-octave response in JA's listening room (red) and of the Mission 770 (blue).

but it seems you didn't perceive it as much as you also expected

"The combination of the MoFi SourcePoint 10's slightly rising on-axis response and its wide dispersion results in an in-room behavior that I would have expected to sound bright. Yet, its tonal balance wasn't so much bright as clean and extended in the top octaves."

Hope I can hear it one day at a dealer or an audio show as such makes me really curious.

Last edited:

John Atkinson

Industry Insider
Reviewer
Why do the Stereophile measurements for off-axis response only go out to +/- 60 degrees horizontally, instead of the usual +/- 90 degrees?

For various reasons, I had to do the quasi-anechoic MLSSA tests of the SourcePoint10 in my listening room, which is smaller than the room where I usually measure speakers. The geometry of the room meant that I had to limit the measurements to ±60° off-axis.

John Atkinson

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Fantastic dispersion and sensitivity, and a little EQ to tame the highs might be all to get very good SQ from a decently priced passive speaker. I wonder though what more would be possible with an active design using a DSP crossover ...
My thoughts exactly.
Might even be worth voiding the warranty and bypassing the passive crossover.

Beave

Major Contributor
For various reasons, I had to do the quasi-anechoic MLSSA tests of the SourcePoint10 in my listening room, which is smaller than the room where I usually measure speakers. The geometry of the room meant that I had to limit the measurements to ±60° off-axis.

John Atkinson

Thank you for the explanation.

fredoamigo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have to admit that I was a bit dubious while waiting to see some measures.
Even if it's not perfection, I'm impressed by the work of Andrew Jones who, let's not forget it, started here from a blank sheet of paper with a new concept... so bravo !

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
BTW, I'm almost proud of the fact that I have managed to avoid hearing the Cowboy Junkie's Trinity Sessions. I hope I can make it to the grave without doing so.
If you ever have trouble falling asleep, that track can work a treat. ;)

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Even if it's not perfection, I'm impressed by the work of Andrew Jones who, let's not forget it, started here from a blank sheet of paper with a new concept... so bravo !
Oh, I'll bet he had the work of folks like Hilliard and Olson in the back of his mind (and whether he knew it or not). :)

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had very low expectation that the SourcePoint would be available in EU anytime soon...

... Yet, it is finally announced to be imported, at least in Germany, for some 5000€ MSRP. :rolleyes:

I'll pass.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just out of curiosity, why don't you rotate the loudspeaker instead of moving the microphone?

John Atkinson

Industry Insider
Reviewer
Just out of curiosity, why don't you rotate the loudspeaker instead of moving the microphone?
I do one or the other, depending on the proximity of the room boundaries. A week ago I had to measure the Klipsch La Scala in the writer's room for a review to appear in the April issue of Stereophile. At 201lb the speaker was too heavy for me to lift on to a dolly so it could be rotated, so I moved the microphone instead. Using a large protractor and a laser pointer, I marked a series of mike positions at the required distance at 5 degree intervals.

But given my druthers, I place the speaker on an Outline computer-controlled turntable, aim it along the measurement room's diagonal, and rotate it up to 90 degrees off-axis. (I raise the speaker so that that the tweeter is midway between the floor and the ceiling, which moves the first reflection to about 4ms after the arrival of the sound at the microphone.)

The Klipsch, BTW, had the second-highest voltage sensitivity I have encountered - an extraordinary 101.3dB(B)/2.83V/m!!!!

John Atkinson

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I do one or the other, depending on the proximity of the room boundaries. A week ago I had to measure the Klipsch La Scala in the writer's room for a review to appear in the April issue of Stereophile. At 201lb the speaker was too heavy for me to lift on to a dolly so it could be rotated, so I moved the microphone instead. Using a large protractor and a laser pointer, I marked a series of mike positions at the required distance at 5 degree intervals.

But given my druthers, I place the speaker on an Outline computer-controlled turntable, aim it along the measurement room's diagonal, and rotate it up to 90 degrees off-axis. (I raise the speaker so that that the tweeter is midway between the floor and the ceiling, which moves the first reflection to about 4ms after the arrival of the sound at the microphone.)

The Klipsch, BTW, had the second-highest voltage sensitivity I have encountered - an extraordinary 101.3dB(B)/2.83V/m!!!!

John Atkinson
Thank you very much for your detailed and interesting reply, really appreciated as generally your valued contribution to Stereophile and the audio press, wish all other magazines had people like you.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I'm finding it amazing the money being spent on the advertising for the SourcePoint10's.
Full back page ad's on Stereophile for the last 2 months and 2 or 3 places inside.
Same - same everywhere you look, very surprising for a relatively inexpensive speaker.
I wonder if MoFi is hoping to sell enough to make up a bit for losses do to the digital-vinyl scandal ? ROTFL

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Same - same everywhere you look, very surprising for a relatively inexpensive speaker.
Wouldn't call a 5000€ passive 2-way standmount inexpensive, there should be large margins for marketing tools inside.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Wouldn't call a 5000€ passive 2-way standmount inexpensive, there should be large margins for marketing tools inside.
Fully agree,
But I did say "relatively" LOL

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Top Bottom