• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Multifuction DAC / Pre-Amp with 2.1 Sub-out?

Don_Gately

I'm looking for a multifunction DAC / Pre-amp that has subwoofer output. I'm currently using a Topping DX3 Pro, and I'd like to keep using it if possible. I want to get a decent Amp, like a Topping PA5 or PA7 and a preamp or another DAC that can feed my subwoofer. Any suggestions?

This is for my bedroom setup. I have two MartinLogan Motion 15s and a Kliptsch 12SWi sub. I use a Heos Link for streaming, and also want to connect my LG C9 TV to the system. I can use optical out from TV and coax out from HEOS. The HEOS Link has a preamp with sub out. The performance of the HEOS is poor, and that's why I want to go digital out to a DAC, and bypass the preamp. Also the HEOS link doesn't have remote (only app) and that's annoying.

I've looked at the SMSL A300--seems just OK.

I'd like to keep the cost under $400.

Last edited:

ppataki

Major Contributor
The A300 is great since it has both low-pass and high-pass filters (though not adjustable but at least it is there)
Have you considered the Wiim Amp? It has more advanced DSP too

Roland68

Major Contributor
I'm looking for a multifunction DAC / Pre-amp that has subwoofer output. I'm currently using a Topping DX3 Pro, and I'd like to keep using it if possible. I want to get a decent Amp, like a Topping PA5 or PA7 and a preamp or another DAC that can feed my subwoofer. Any suggestions?

This is for my bedroom setup. I have two MartinLogan Motion 15s and a Kliptsch 12SWi sub. I use a Heos Link for streaming, and also want to connect my LG C9 TV to the system. I can use optical out from TV and coax out from HEOS. The HEOS Link has a preamp with sub out. The performance of the HEOS is poor, and that's why I want to go digital out to a DAC, and bypass the preamp. Also the HEOS link doesn't have remote (only app) and that's annoying.

I've looked at the SMSL A300--seems just OK.

I'd like to keep the cost under $400.
If you are looking for a high-quality solution for 2.1, I would advise you to go with something external, because the manufacturers of cheap amps don't have a very good handle on 2.1.
Alternatively, any AV receiver can be used excellently for this purpose, often used for a fraction of the price (doesn't have to be a current model) or an old AV preamplifier with an additional power amplifier.

OP
D

Don_Gately

I think I might just save up and get the MiniDSP Flex + Topping LA90. This seems perfect as a high quality 2.1 solution, and cheaper than other solutions.

OP
D

Don_Gately

If you are looking for a high-quality solution for 2.1, I would advise you to go with something external, because the manufacturers of cheap amps don't have a very good handle on 2.1.
Alternatively, any AV receiver can be used excellently for this purpose, often used for a fraction of the price (doesn't have to be a current model) or an old AV preamplifier with an additional power amplifier.
Putting the "old A/V or preamp" in front of the signal to the new amp would degrade the quality, no?

Roland68

Major Contributor
Putting the "old A/V or preamp" in front of the signal to the new amp would degrade the quality, no?
In my experience this is not a problem when the preamp outputs are used, not even in terms of sound. However, it would make sense to use pure power amplifiers for this.
For example, I don't notice any disadvantage in terms of sound whether I connect the Topping PA5 II directly to a source or to my preamplifier. Amp volume control to 90 or 100%.

As an alternative to MiniDSP, there are also the well-tested the t.racks DSP 4x4 Mini and the t.racks DSP 4x4 Mini Pro.

Pinkynator

Hello! I'm new here, just registered :)

Just wanted to say that I'm waiting for the WiiM Ultra ("Q2 this year"). If the rumors are correct, it will have preamp sub out, adjustable crossover, the same quality DAC as in the Pro Plus (that one is good), and a whole bunch of other useful stuff like six to eight PEQ bands and who knows - maybe even some room correction, if they have the processor power to do it. Remote will hopefully be included, and the device is a streamer so you can ditch your HEOS stuff and EQ your TV output :)

If you're not in a rush to buy anything, perhaps wait a bit longer until official specs are released to see if that's your thing. People are speculating on a release price of $400-500. The only problem is that WiiM tends to F things up initially and silently release new hardware iterations over time, so being an early adopter may be problematic.

I'm also in a 2.1 non-crossover megacheap system for my home office and in dire need of doing room measurements and corrections (my gear is cheap, but even without measurements, I know FR is piss-poor and needs heavy tweaks), with future plans to build a NAS for backups and storage of my truly esoteric collection of music not available on paid streaming services, so the Ultra might be exactly what I need, at a relatively affordable price.

Top Bottom