• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Amir Buys a New Audio Precision Analyzer (APx555)!!!

March Audio

Major Contributor
Manufacturer
Patreon Donor
How about

How about Boris Johnson - the Keith Moon of the Tory party?

FWIW we don't really wan't GB back after being deserted by it for the EU. o_O

Boris is brilliant. :) A clever guy pretending to be a buffoon........converse of the US situation where Trump is a buffoon pretending to be a clever guy.......

I do laugh, Australia a republic? There is far more TV coverage of the Royal family over here than there is in the UK. Oz cant get enough of it :)

Wombat

Major Contributor
No more dangerous than audiophile beliefs that are pandered to. :facepalm:

Wombat

Major Contributor
Boris is brilliant. :) A clever guy pretending to be a buffoon........converse of the US situation where Trump, is a buffoon pretending to be a clever guy.......
Pretending to be a buffoon is not clever unless you need to be supported by buffoons. However, they will out you as a user. Maybe slowly, but surely.

March Audio

Major Contributor
Manufacturer
Patreon Donor
Oh everyone knows what Boris is about, I just find it enjoyable to have a politician with a bit of character.

Last edited:

Wombat

Major Contributor
Oh everyone knows what Boris is about, I just find it enjoyable to have a politician with a bit of character.

You will like POTUS, then.

Back to regular programming.:facepalm:

Last edited:

DonH56

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
Patreon Donor
I had Matlab for years until they changed their pricing structure. I paid about $200 to $300 USD a year for maybe a decade, then they decided a major upgrade was worth ~$1300. I dropped it (or rather just stuck with the old). A few years later I needed it for a college class I was giving and called Mathworks; they actually gave me a full-blown license. Guess it pays to be a teacher. Since then they have rolled out "individual" pricing so I re-upped but haven't had time to use it much. Similar thing happened with Mathcad but they have never rolled out cheaper pricing (I think, quit looking a few years ago) so I am running an ancient version. I hope it doesn't break as I have a ton of audio-related Mathcad files; that was my main tool for years, and my company does not provide Mathcad (they do Matlab but restrict "private" use).

DonH56

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
Patreon Donor
For many applications the Octave (open source and free Matlab alternative) is good enough:
- https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/

At least if your code does not depend on "premium" Matlab libraries.
Yes, that is an excellent suggestion! I have piddled with Octave at work some (we use Python extensively so also NumPy and SciPy) but the problem is I do use a lot of Matlab-specific toolboxes, mainly for RF and control stuff, but a couple of years ago started playing with their audio packages. That said, Octave is very good, the plotting library in Python works very well, there is lots of third-party support, and if I did not have the investment in Matlab already would agree with starting there. Plus I am not a real programmer, though end up doing quite a bit of it these days, more an analog dinosaur.

Last edited:

gino1961

... Typical audio analyzer is an analog to digital converter (ADC) with a bunch of software.
In the case of Audio Precision analyzers, they also have excellent auto-scaling "gain" stages that can amplify or reduce the levels of signals to allow very wide dynamic range. When fed strong signals though, the ADC can produce its own noise and harmonic distortion which can be confused with the device under test.

The late Dr. Tom Kite explains and demos this well in this short video:

Technically, this is the simplified architecture of APx555:

View attachment 13093

In addition to above analysis hardware, the generator is also improved to have lower distortion. Ironically, this is an analog solution that beats the digital one (a DAC)!!! Sometimes old technology beats new. :) Combined these too and looping the APx555 to itself produces this on my bench: ...
Hi and sorry to jump in but i am confused. I am not an expert. But you talk about a fully analog device here ? but from the schematic i see that the incoming analog signals are still converted to digital. So the device is actually like a state of the art AD/DA converter ? I would be curious to know which ADC and DAC are used in this exceptional equipment. And sorry but i have to ask a silly question ... does this device sound ? can it be used as a high end musical ADC o DAC ? the noise is practically absent and the distortion as well.
Thanks a lot for all your excellent work.
Kindest regards, gino

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hi and sorry to jump in but i am confused. I am not an expert. But you talk about a fully analog device here ? but from the schematic i see that the incoming analog signals are still converted to digital. So the device is actually like a state of the art AD/DA converter ? I would be curious to know which ADC and DAC are used in this exceptional equipment. And sorry but i have to ask a silly question ... does this device sound ? can it be used as a high end musical ADC o DAC ? the noise is practically absent and the distortion as well.
Thanks a lot for all your excellent work.
Kindest regards, gino
No, it can't be used as a music device. And the answer you seek is in the post you quoted.

gino1961

Hi thanks a lot for the kind and valuable reply. I understand i have to study more in depth the description of the unit. Kind regards, gino

Top Bottom