• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amir Buys a New Audio Precision Analyzer (APx555)!!!

audio2design

Major Contributor

Resurrecting a zombie thread to say thank you for the link. I have a Mathcad License but people I work with/for often don't and can't justify it. This is interesting. I will have to check it out.

Are you familiar with GNU Octave? --- Poor Man's Matlab, but with a ton of features.

Gradius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
FYI, APx555 was replaced by APx555B and the older one was discontinued.

Btw, is even more expensive, at least $35k.

morillon

Major Contributor
Hello
do you know the release year of the apx555
?
thank you
;-)

morillon

Major Contributor
thank you...
;-)
we can imagine that the hardware corresponds to developments several years previously...
a new machine at ap is in the "pipes"?

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
thank you...
;-)
we can imagine that the hardware corresponds to developments several years previously...
Might you consider donationg a new one to Amir and the ASR cause?

morillon

Major Contributor
can also just give you my address...
I am a "top cause"
;-)))

Plcamp

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I can test optical cables but they need to be Toslink. This one is proprietary with its own custom connections so no, I can't test the Samsung cable.

Even if I could, the endpoints matter and not testing that would not be conclusive.

If it were a Toslink cable, the APx555 can do really neat analysis on it like demodulating it and then performing traditional audio measurements on it !

So if this were a Toslink cable, we could all kinds of interesting things with it.
Is there anything (simple) that can be done when characterizing DACs to catch those that are more likely to have problems connecting to common devices like TV’s and CD player via toslink?

This issue, my inability to figure out which do and don’t have compatibility sensitivity makes buy decisions more difficult.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
thank you...
;-)
The "B" series came out about 3 years ago. I had the 555B in house for a couple months and it was wonderful.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
PS Audio just bought one of the B units:

"That guy with his own Audio Precision... what's his website? Audio Sciences?"

Last edited:

Keened

Forum Donor
PS Audio just bought one of the B units:

"That guy with his own Audio Precision... what's his website? Audio Sciences?"
What if this is the beginning of the most unlikely redemption story in HiFi history?

First he starts using measurements, then he uses all of the money he swindled brought in over the years to further fund open source audio research, and finally he works with the community to release cutting edge and low cost designs for the general audiophile public?

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What if this is the beginning of the most unlikely redemption story in HiFi history?
Who knows.

More of those devices in the hands of companies is certainly a good thing.

nagster

Thank you as always, @amirm.
It looks like you've been using APx500 version 8 lately. How do you feel about using it?

Yamaha 5000

Forum Donor
I am not sure if this is the correct Thread to post this question, but I will give it a try.

The manufacturers of Audio (Home Stereo) go to great lengths to supply performance specifications of their equipment. How can a small shop implement these testing procedures into daily practices. My primary work is with Receivers, Integrated Amps, Preamps and Power Amps that were produced in the 1970's & 80's. Question is how to duplicate these test, procedure and needed equipment? Here is an example of the test I wish to perform:

Output ?
Power Band Width ?
Damping Factor ?
Distortion ?
Noise level S/N ?
Residual Noise Input Terminal ?
Max allowable input ?
Output terminal ?
Max output ?
Frequency Characteristics ?
Tone Control ?
Filter ?
Peak Meter ?
1697475379560.png

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I am not sure if this is the correct Thread to post this question, but I will give it a try.

The manufacturers of Audio (Home Stereo) go to great lengths to supply performance specifications of their equipment. How can a small shop implement these testing procedures into daily practices. My primary work is with Receivers, Integrated Amps, Preamps and Power Amps that were produced in the 1970's & 80's. Question is how to duplicate these test, procedure and needed equipment? Here is an example of the test I wish to perform:

Output ?
Power Band Width ?
Damping Factor ?
Distortion ?
Noise level S/N ?
Residual Noise Input Terminal ?
Max allowable input ?
Output terminal ?
Max output ?
Frequency Characteristics ?
Tone Control ?
Filter ?
Peak Meter ?
View attachment 319308
You should start a new thread for this. It is a hugeee subject.

Top Bottom