• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amir Buys a New Audio Precision Analyzer (APx555)!!!

SSS

Working on similar audio gear from 1960 to the 1980ies I use a E-MU Tracker soundcard with appropriate software like ARTA and audiotester.
Further of course a dummy load for output power, Sound Technology measurement instrument for level and THD.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The manufacturers of Audio (Home Stereo) go to great lengths to supply performance specifications of their equipment. How can a small shop implement these testing procedures into daily practices.
General answer is that you can't. There is usually insufficient information in the spec sheet. That said, some specs are better than others like what you show. In those cases, I am able to approximate them and not worry about small variations. If i get 0.003% and they say 0.002%, I consider that good enough verification.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
If you know what you are doing (which is a pretty big if), a lot of these things can be verified on a shoestring budget using little more than a midrange audio interface plus misc. external components like speaker dummy loads, attenuators and inverse RIAA. You won't have the automation of an AP but at 40 dB less cash outlay you'll probably be able to live with that.

KSTR

Major Contributor
How can a small shop implement these testing procedures into daily practices? My primary work is with Receivers, Integrated Amps, Preamps and Power Amps that were produced in the 1970's & 80's. Question is how to duplicate these test, procedure and needed equipment?
IMHO the investment in a used AP or other "serious" audio analyzer quickly pays off, and be it only their robustness when abused. There still is a steep learning curve because more often than not the operator is the limit, not the gear. If your budget is very limited but your knowledge is not then you can go a long way with any reasonable ADC/DAC combo unit plus a set of self-made custom accessories and some helper hardware like protected auto-ranging units offered as DIY kits or ready-made units, etc. On the software side, we have, among others, Multitone and REW free-ware/donation-ware programs, both of which are excellent.

Top Bottom