• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amazon launches lossless high-res music service!

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
. And it reports my device as capable of only 24/44.1, probably because that's what's selected in the dropdown box in the Windows control panel sound device options. If it really was exclusive mode it should be able to bypass that and see what the real max of what my device is capable of.
Yep, Mine says it's limited to 24/48 but I can do 24/192 any time from my onboard music library using Foobar2000 with wasapi

dmac6419

Major Contributor
Exclusive mode doesn't seem to "stick" with me. I have to check that box every time I start the program up. And it reports my device as capable of only 24/44.1, probably because that's what's selected in the dropdown box in the Windows control panel sound device options. If it really was exclusive mode it should be able to bypass that and see what the real max of what my device is capable of.
It not gonna show the real max unless you set max,if it sounds good at 24/44.1 leave it

Icboschert

Forum Donor
Has anybody used the Windows app and experienced it where Amazon downgrades the quality from HD to SD for no apparent reason? I've had to tweak the settings from 'Best Available' to HD/Ultra to force it to stay HD. My internet is definitely not the issue here either...the cynic in me thinks it's Amazon quietly saving their data upload haha.

REK2575

Sorry, not to step on Icboschert's question (which unfortunately I do not know the answer to) --

Does anyone know if it is possible to stream Amazon HD via USB on an Android device (namely, Samsung phone or tablet)? UAPP does not have AmazonHD integration and apparently will never get it (since Amazon's API is closed). I don't think the Android Amazon music app has any option for streaming over USB. Any solutions?

Bamyasi

Does anyone know if it is possible to stream Amazon HD via USB on an Android device (namely, Samsung phone or tablet)? UAPP does not have AmazonHD integration and apparently will never get it (since Amazon's API is closed). I don't think the Android Amazon music app has any option for streaming over USB. Any solutions?

You can stream to USB, why not? Just connect your USB device using a USB cable with OTG support. I tried this with my Samsung Galaxy S10e phone and Samsung Tab S6 tablet and it worked fine. One thing you will not get with Android though is bit-perfect playback since Android's audio stack will always get into way. It will also limit streaming to 24bit/48kHz (16bit/48kHz for older Android devices).

REK2575

Sorry, I should've been more specific. I wanted to know if there's any way to get bit-perfect playback from Amazon HD through an Android device via USB. That's what UAPP enables, of course, but I was wondering if there's any alternative since UAPP is not going to be able to integrate Amazon HD the way it does Qobuz and Tidal.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Today, Amazon expanded Music HD (High-Rez audio) to Canada...only 360 days behind US.... :D

1599785944977.png

Site: https://www.amazon.ca/music/unlimited/hd/

Pricing for Music HD is $14.99 ($12.99 for prime members) = same as US rates, which makes the Canadian plans cheaper than US for once!

It's 2x cheaper than Tidal or Qobuz and becomes the cheapest high-rez streaming service in Canada.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Today, Amazon expanded Music HD (High-Rez audio) to Canada...only 360 days behind US..
Glad to hear it, the Amazon service has come a long way now including Atmos titles.
I have a vast library of CD, HD, and Multich music on my computer but I never would have imagined 30 or 40 years ago what we could have at our fingertips today. I wonder when Spotify will get off it's behind and offer redbook or better files? I still believe they have the best UI but I don't think they can ignore this trend forever?

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Well, it's about time!:cool:
Amazon Music HD has just been released in France!!! (September 10th)

The press released I read said "Amazon Music HD is available in the US, UK, Germany, Austria, Japan, France, Italy, Spain, and now Canada."
So I assumed it's just Canada that got it.
But when you compare to Amir's original post, that means they added "France, Italy, Spain and Canada" on Sep 10. :D

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
How did you test the Roon integration?

And in what manner does it suck?
+1 (although I bought a 1 year qobuz sub in August, so I am going nowhere soon)

¥€$

It's coming gotta be patient

I just looked into this and noticed that even the MP3 downloads require Amazon's software and the files have watermarks, so there's still an element of DRM present. No one wants to mess with extra software and online accounts for media when all they want is the files. I can see why the record labels loathe physical media nowadays, it's just too convenient for customers.

amadeuswus

Forum Donor
Exclusive mode doesn't seem to "stick" with me. I have to check that box every time I start the program up. And it reports my device as capable of only 24/44.1, probably because that's what's selected in the dropdown box in the Windows control panel sound device options. If it really was exclusive mode it should be able to bypass that and see what the real max of what my device is capable of.

Hi revoc,

I just started my Amazon HD trial period, and I have the same issue (having to check "Exclusive mode" on each startup) even though I have the latest version of the desktop app.

I am still finding my way around, but the albums I've played have virtually no credits to display (producer, engineer, etc., often not even the composer of an individual track). Coming from Tidal, I am used to having some minimal information about most albums, sometimes even short reviews. Have I missed something within the app?

Top Bottom