• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Allo Boss2 Review (Stereo Streamer)

UDXL2C90

I tried to upgrade to moOde v8 a few weeks ago and was never able to make it work. Went back to v7. Guess I’ll wait for a fix for the Allo Boss2. For now, no issues with v7.

I have two of the Allo Boss2 and really think they sound great with my STR-AZ5000ES (den) and my Yamaha RX-A2A (office).

Is it possible to purchase a 2nd microSD card with MoOde 8.x installed on it? Swap with current 7.x microSD card?

I have Allo Boss2, enjoy it. Don't want to 'brick' it trying to upgrade the OS.

Thanks for any ideas!

Barrelhouse Solly

Is it possible to purchase a 2nd microSD card with MoOde 8.x installed on it? Swap with current 7.x microSD card?

Thanks for any ideas!
Use Raspberry Pi Imager to flash the OS to a micro SD card. You'll have to apply the command line fix. It's strictly copy and paste. You can use the ssh terminal built into Moode.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Use Raspberry Pi Imager to flash the OS to a micro SD card. You'll have to apply the command line fix. It's strictly copy and paste. You can use the ssh terminal built into Moode.
Alternatively duplicate your SD card, then use the built in update process on the copy.

kchap

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Thanks for any ideas!
Agree, as you will need to update the kernel it is probably safer to start with a fresh image and have a fallback. Moode intend to release version 8.3.7 before the end of the year but that should leave the existing upgraded kernel intact.

I'm not sure when when the upgraded kernel will be incorporated into the standard image. It may actually make it into 8.3.7 but I suspect it will be next year.

Follow these instructions Moode setup to do the install this section in particular:
Screenshot from 2023-11-14 23-16-51.png

m8o

Forum Donor
I have an Allo Boss2 (RPI4) for sale with Nirvana power supply, Wifi Dongle, 16GB SD card and Moode. Paid $286 Sept 2021 direct from Allo after reading the ASR review. Asking $175. I used it for two months. Should have sold it long ago. :)
Let me know if interested.
Did you purchase this Boss2 unit with the stainless steel case or acrylic case?

Theodore8

Forum Donor
Below is reply that I got from allo.com when I reached out to them with the same issue.

The instructions from GitHub did not work for me, as they don’t seem to accommodate the Wifi dongle. And without WiFi dongle, the signal is very unstable.

Have not tried the below fix, because I kept postponing. The Allo Boss 2 is at the summer home, and I had wasted two summer vacation afternoons getting upset because after upgrading to v8 the thing became a doorstop. I reflashed it to v7 only to see it work very intermittently.

If anyone tries it, perhaps s/he could share the outcome ?

This is regarding the message sent to allo.com

The latest moode image integration has not been completed for Boss2, that is why it no longer works after update.

However, please format the SD card and read the image below and see if the player works.

https://github.com/moode-player/moo...od/image_2023-01-20-moode-r825-arm64-lite.zip

We would like to check if this will solve the issue first, if the problem remains, please contact us again for the purchase of SDcard and of course for the Wifi dongle. 7

NikolasA

Hello I have the allo boss2 with blue aluminum case and nirvana power supply. I bought and had never powered on a while ago…. When I try both the type c or the nirvana power supply I can’t get it to turn on. I do see a small red led inside but nothing on the screen …. Any help? What I should be looking at next?

Theodore8

Forum Donor
Hello I have the allo boss2 with blue aluminum case and nirvana power supply. I bought and had never powered on a while ago…. When I try both the type c or the nirvana power supply I can’t get it to turn on. I do see a small red led inside but nothing on the screen …. Any help? What I should be looking at next?
Is the micro SD card properly inserted?

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Get a new SD card. It is the most common problem with Pi’s so at least exclude that from the list of possibilities

NikolasA

Should the screen light up when I press the button next to it? The card can only go in one way I tried turning it over after you suggested that and it will not go in the other way… shouldn’t it boot/post even without a card? I just get some led lights when I plug in the power but no other signs of life

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Should the screen light up when I press the button next to it? The card can only go in one way I tried turning it over after you suggested that and it will not go in the other way… shouldn’t it boot/post even without a card? I just get some led lights when I plug in the power but no other signs of life

The LCD screen doesn't do much except show the IP address. What you need to do is find out what software is installed on the SD card and use the computer to log into the BOSS2 and configure it. Then stream your music to the BOSS2 with a computer/phone or tablet. That's the short version. You can download specific instructions for setting up MOODE and other software on their website. If you expect the setup to be completed using the LCD you will be disappointed and probably lost. :D

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The SD card is like the main drive in your computer. It holds the OS and all the operating software. If it is not working, or not had an OS installed on it, then the Pi will do nothing.

This is the most likely reason for the pi not booting.

However, try plugging a monitor into the HDMI connector - it is possible it is booting but not showing anything on the display.

Where did you get your BOSS 2 from.

See here for a thread with download links for the standard software options:

(See the link about setting up the display for Diet Pi - perhaps woth going with the Moode option to start with)

The best way to put these files on to the SD card is to use the Raspberry Pi Imager

Last edited:

NikolasA

I bought it new from the official site. I just never had the time to mess with it and hadn’t even powered it on. From the very first post of this thread I saw the picture of the unit with the screen on(the one with the panther). So I was expecting to see something…. I will try with a monitor. I ordered the 16gb card option and if I remember correctly it was supposed to come preinstalled.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
I bought it new from the official site. I just never had the time to mess with it and hadn’t even powered it on. From the very first post of this thread I saw the picture of the unit with the screen on(the one with the panther). So I was expecting to see something…. I will try with a monitor. I ordered the 16gb card option and if I remember correctly it was supposed to come preinstalled.
As I said above. Get a new SD card. It is very likely broken or corrupted. Others have already pointed to links how to reinstall the system on a new card.

NikolasA

I made a little bit of progress…. The led screen did come on and it’s showing 0 db. I still have several hurdles though…. I need to purchase a mini hdmi connector and card reader. Does it tell you guys anything from the 0db? Maybe what default ip it may have? Or what software preloaded on the card with what it’s showing? I have a network cable in and no lights come on on the nic…. So it’s questionable if it’s on.. thanks for the help so far :)

Attachments

• IMG_1686.jpeg
    IMG_1686.jpeg
    126.4 KB · Views: 27

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I made a little bit of progress…. The led screen did come on and it’s showing 0 db. I still have several hurdles though…. I need to purchase a mini hdmi connector and card reader. Does it tell you guys anything from the 0db? Maybe what default ip it may have? Or what software preloaded on the card with what it’s showing? I have a network cable in and no lights come on on the nic…. So it’s questionable if it’s on.. thanks for the help so far :)
What is at the other end of the network cable?

Top Bottom