• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

All In One Device with Room Calibration, Chromecast, Auto Input Switching, and 8 channel AES/EBU Support?

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just got a pair of Genelec 8260 monitors and want something that is more or less "all in one" in case I expand to a 5.3 system with multiple subs... Started looking at a Behringer DEQ2496 but I don't think it switches source automatically, and neither that nor any of the MiniDSP devices support Chromecast... What do people use for an all in one unit where they sometimes watch movies and need the input from a TV, but other times just want to stream music without waiting forever for a crappy Android TV to turn on?

I have a GLM kit but a few people who have used that or Dutch & Dutch stuff mention often wanting more bands and using a MiniDSP.

I used to have an older TV that turned on in 10 seconds instead of a minute and supported CEC to turn on with my Chromecast,, and then it would play sound that would automatically turn on my amp... Loved the convenience, but I like these active speakers much better and want to avoid having a MiniDSP, plus some kind of streamer, plus some kind of breakout board to get 8 channels, etc.

OR, if it's cheap, maybe just something with Chromecast support that can also take an optical signal and put it out via aes/ebu? (I'll even go for balanced XLR if needed, just wanted to avoid the additional conversion step.)

OP
stevenswall

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=37887

Monolith by Monoprice HTP-1 16-Channel Home Theater Processor with Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, Auro-3D, and Dirac Live Compatibility

Seems to have just about double of every output I'd want... Just needs Chromecast capabilities and a reasonable price.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Four thousand dollars?????

Yeah, will need the dongle, but that's not a deal breaker... It is a roon endpoint, which is a lot of what I stream anyway.

I heard a vicious rumor that Amir has one to review (as of Wednesday...), i'm sure we'll see it soon. ;)

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Just got a pair of Genelec 8260 monitors and want something that is more or less "all in one" in case I expand to a 5.3 system with multiple subs... Started looking at a Behringer DEQ2496 but I don't think it switches source automatically, and neither that nor any of the MiniDSP devices support Chromecast... What do people use for an all in one unit where they sometimes watch movies and need the input from a TV, but other times just want to stream music without waiting forever for a crappy Android TV to turn on?

I have a GLM kit but a few people who have used that or Dutch & Dutch stuff mention often wanting more bands and using a MiniDSP.

I used to have an older TV that turned on in 10 seconds instead of a minute and supported CEC to turn on with my Chromecast,, and then it would play sound that would automatically turn on my amp... Loved the convenience, but I like these active speakers much better and want to avoid having a MiniDSP, plus some kind of streamer, plus some kind of breakout board to get 8 channels, etc.

OR, if it's cheap, maybe just something with Chromecast support that can also take an optical signal and put it out via aes/ebu? (I'll even go for balanced XLR if needed, just wanted to avoid the additional conversion step.)

I never got it fully set up, but my plan was to use an Nvidia Shield's USB out through a minidsp Udio8, feed that into the ddrc88d (all digital aes so far) then into my JBL 708's (which have aes in, in addition to analog xlr). That would include the dirac live with the 88d, and the shield will output up to 8 channels through the udio8, and has one d/a conversion through the speakers internal DAC.

Obviously, couId feed any combo of things, but that's the best I could come up with, before I decided to look more into the HTP-1.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, will need the dongle, but that's not a deal breaker... It is a roon endpoint, which is a lot of what I stream anyway.

I heard a vicious rumor that Amir has one to review (as of Wednesday...), i'm sure we'll see it soon. ;)
It just seems vastly overpriced for what you are getting. I have a Sony STR-ZA5000ES receiver (Sony’s top of the line supporting 7.4.2 channels) and it sells for $2200. (It used to retail for $2700). You could use it as a Roon endpoint via DLNA (but not RAAT).

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
It just seems vastly overpriced for what you are getting. I have a Sony STR-ZA5000ES receiver (Sony’s top of the line supporting 7.4.2 channels) and it sells for $2200. (It used to retail for $2700). You could use it as a Roon endpoint via DLNA (but not RAAT).

The Dirac adds a bunch... but you're correct. It isn't cheap.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The only solid Chromecast built-in I’ve seen is Cambridge Audio. No DSP tho.

OP
stevenswall

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I never got it fully set up, but my plan was to use an Nvidia Shield's USB out through a minidsp Udio8, feed that into the ddrc88d (all digital aes so far) then into my JBL 708's (which have aes in, in addition to analog xlr). That would include the dirac live with the 88d, and the shield will output up to 8 channels through the udio8, and has one d/a conversion through the speakers internal DAC.

Obviously, couId feed any combo of things, but that's the best I could come up with, before I decided to look more into the HTP-1.

Hmm, couldn't you use the MiniDSP DDRC88D USB input from the shield? Or does that not support USB audio like the regular MiniDSP HD?

Looks like I'd need a separate chromecast and then a box to go from optical to AES.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Hmm, couldn't you use the MiniDSP DDRC88D USB input from the shield? Or does that not support USB audio like the regular MiniDSP HD?

Looks like I'd need a separate chromecast and then a box to go from optical to AES.

Correct...the USB input is only for connecting to your computer for setup, nor for audio...hence the need for the usbx8 splitter.

The 88D can be had with spdif or AES FWIW...

The udio8 has 8x analog input in addition to the 8x digital out, so theoretically you could go from chromecast analog to the analog in.

What made me stop doing it this way was the issue of channeling 9+ channel formats, which would mean two of these, plus the issue of the actual decoding, which would still need some kind of processor. I saw the HTP-1 was close to being released, and thought I'd go that way.

I will have to figure out something else to do with it, in a non theater area...

OP
stevenswall

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
^What do you mean a decoding processor? The speakers would do that. (Digitial input to Genelec 8260 internal DAC.)

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
^What do you mean a decoding processor? The speakers would do that. (Digitial input to Genelec 8260 internal DAC.)
I mean for the surround formats, not the room correction.

Edit: with the Shield at least, most of the surround formats are only available through hdmi as well...which makes it a huge pain...

Top Bottom