• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AKG K240 55 Ohm Review (Headphone)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Below the Superlux HD681 (AKG K240 looks but very different driver and lower build quality) with different pads (incl. K240 velours pads), Chinese flea-pay 'K240' knock-off pads. 1/3 octave smoothed otherwise the mess becomes unreadable above 1kHz.

hd681-pads-with-filter.png

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Something that may be important to take into consideration for studio monitoring (not mixing) headphones in general.

The K240 are not meant to be used as a headphone to enjoy music but rather in a studio to monitor recordings.
In such case it is not about accuracy at all but hearing instruments and voices usually at higher SPL than average and comfort, easy to change pads and occasionally sitting on one or have it drop or janked of your head. You don't want high amounts of lows muddying up the sound nor excessive 2-4kHz range (shout).

You are correct in theory but wrong on this example. How can you hear "instruments and voices usually at higher SPL than average" when you have upwards of 3% distortion at the your example 2-4kHz range and much, much higher at low frequencies at high level listening? Imagine the poor drummer trying to hear the bass with over 10% distortion!

These are simply badly designed/manufactured headphones - period!

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm a bit dubious about the validity of measuring a headphone for a review when it doesn't have the stock pads fitted, as this would certainly influence frequency response as a minimum....I'm not sure if it could have any other positive or negative effects on distortion, and if the original pads were angled (don't know if they are) then any non-stock pads used that are not angled could potentially damage the soundstage aspect too. I'd imagine stock or non-stock pads wouldn't influence the negative aspect you noticed when you say "During playback I could feel the entire cup resonating with each note.", then I think that's a bit of a red flag for this headphone regardless. Given the non-stock pads perhaps we can't place much faith in the measured frequency response though, in terms of it representing a stock K240. Having said this though, the frequency response is quite similar to the frequency response that Oratory published for this headphone, so it looks like in this particular instance that non-stock pads are not that far off from the stock pads in this particular case - so I think we got lucky with this one so-to-speak.

Bass distortion on this headphone is crazy, even at 94dB, so best avoid this headphone.
Have to agree about the usefulness of a review of any cans with only aftermarket pads. Doubtful would have "saved" these of course.

But the trouble with Amir only measuring stock is that he is largely given well used examples from members. And we know old pads can make a difference too. Neither is representative of a new unit bought by a reader of the review.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Have to agree about the usefulness of a review of any cans with only aftermarket pads. Doubtful would have "saved" these of course.

But the trouble with Amir only measuring stock is that he is largely given well used examples from members. And we know old pads can make a difference too. Neither is representative of a new unit bought by a reader of the review.
Yeah, that's right, the age of the pads will also affect the frequency response as well as whether or not it's a stock or aftermarket pad....I tend to think the scope of difference that can be seen when using aftermarket pads is larger than comparing worn vs fresh stock pads though. For instance here's my K702 that has been measured by Oratory using my original 5yr old pads vs fresh pads on the same headphone (no huge character changing differences, but indeed perceptible differences south of 1kHz):
K702 old pads vs new pads.png

I think ideally headphone reviews would be based on fresh or close to fresh stock pads, but I accept that there will be cases when more worn pad headphones will be reviewed & measured here.....just I think it's worth drawing the line when aftermarket pads have been used.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
I have listened to these older style AKGs and alas, indeed, there is simply no comparison with the current K361 headphones. The AKG K361s are a great headphone value, they are my daily drivers now. Some love the K371s for the extra $50, but the difference is pretty subtle. Along with my vintage ADS speakers, the K361s are my favorite audio purchase of the past 2-3 years.

KSTR

Major Contributor
Drummers won't monitor using K240 ;)
Yeah, Beyerdynamic DT100 all the way! With talkback mic.
I'm tempted to send mine to Amir and see it earning the remains of Panther, smashed into pieces, haha!

H-713

From what I understand, when Samsung / Harman closed the AKG facilities in Austria, they lost most of the good people who made AKG what it was in the past.

Clump it in with Harman/Kardon, Crown, BSS, Turbosound, Midas and Klark Teknik. Ghost brands that scarcely resemble what made them great.

D

Deleted member 12642

Something that may be important to take into consideration for studio monitoring (not mixing) headphones in general.
Having flat or Harman FR is not paramount, they may well be colored in a certain way, roll-off in the extremes and have an emphasis or dip in certain parts of the FR.

The K240 are not meant to be used as a headphone to enjoy music but rather in a studio to monitor recordings.
In such case it is not about accuracy at all but hearing instruments and voices usually at higher SPL than average and comfort, easy to change pads and occasionally sitting on one or have it drop or janked of your head. You don't want high amounts of lows muddying up the sound nor excessive 2-4kHz range (shout).
Tonal accuracy in the final mix is done afterwards with EQ/effects to get the desired sound. It is not determined by the musician based on what he hears.

It is a studio monitor and sold as such. Some folks assume because they are used in studios (just like many Beyers) they can thus be used for enjoying music as well. A very common 'mistake'. It's akin to folks claiming the DT48 is such a great headphone because it was used for testing hearing.

The elastic bands regulating the headband height loose tension pretty quickly. A horrible construction that AKG should have changed by now.
There are many different K240 iterations by the way. As well as DT770/DT880/DT990's. These are cheap 'throw away' consumables to studios.

Thanks for measuring them. I haven't had the pleasure yet and won't buy them because I am sure I won't be using them to enjoy music.

Having cuts to the mid range IME is actually bad in monitoring, it causes the user to compensate with volume. Generally an even response is still desired here IME. The mdr v6/7506 are nice for tracking imo because they push the mid range forward, meaning lower overall volume and high sensitivity in the critical hearing ranges. They also have like no bass which is great for avoiding foldback.

PeteL

Major Contributor
What business does AKG have to call these "Professional Studio" headphones? What possible asset do they bring to pro world? /
Professional means in no way "reference" It's just sales channel. What asset?, they are dirt cheap, the go to set if you have to buy 500 headphones for non music related big broadcast facilities. they reproduce talked voice alright, they'll let you hear these edits in your news piece, etc. Sometimes you don't need more.

PeteL

Major Contributor
The K240 and K271 are very popular in the studio because they are cheap and not very bad for vocal monitoring. That's all.
Overall the K612 are better headphones, but still bass light.
Can you use AKG to record great music? I think so :)

True but most vocalists use close back for tracking, it's normally not desirable to have music leak in the vocalist microphone.

KSTR

Major Contributor
True but most vocalists use close back for tracking, it's normally not desirable to have music leak in the vocalist microphone.
Depends on the genre and the producer, and typically a little leakage from open cans is completely irrelevant and sometimes even favorable to add a some "life".
Occasionally even speakers are use for the monitor playback as some artists really feel uncomfortable with headphones (for example, pitch perception is compromised with headphones), especially with closed back ones. Heaphones can cause cancelling with bone conduction when the wrong polarity is used, a very annoying phenomenon. Often you see artists uncovering one ear to hear their own voice better or making other moves showing discomfort and then a good producer/engineer should take measures and not be shy to use speakers as monitors as a last resort. Artistic performance is much more relevant than a little bleed.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Professional means in no way "reference" It's just sales channel. What asset?, they are dirt cheap, the go to set if you have to buy 500 headphones for non music related big broadcast facilities. they reproduce talked voice alright, they'll let you hear these edits in your news piece, etc. Sometimes you don't need more.
The sales channel includes consumer where 7000+ people left reviews indicating probably 100,000 sold through Amazon alone. They are not enticed to do so based on the criteria you mention. They are enticed based on what AKG says:

1623523221054.png

Mixing and mastering? Doesn't sound like what you are talking about. Impressive accuracy? Doesn't sound like what you are talking about.

Simple truth is that it is entirely too common to claim any and all headphones are "professional studio headphones." This is misleading and entices customers to think, "if it is good for professionals, it is good for me." There is no defense for this and certainly not what you put forward.

hmt

I once owned the K701 (bought 2007). Did not really liked them. They sounded mid centric and bass shy. Seems like the (in)famous Yamaha HS5 as a headphone. Maybe that is why they were successful.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The sales channel includes consumer where 7000+ people left reviews indicating probably 100,000 sold through Amazon alone. They are not enticed to do so based on the criteria you mention. They are enticed based on what AKG says:

View attachment 135238

Mixing and mastering? Doesn't sound like what you are talking about. Impressive accuracy? Doesn't sound like what you are talking about.

Simple truth is that it is entirely too common to claim any and all headphones are "professional studio headphones." This is misleading and entices customers to think, "if it is good for professionals, it is good for me." There is no defense for this and certainly not what you put forward.

A similar story with the AKG K271 Studio. In 2003 the version I listened to was fine. The one a bought a few years ago, was not. Poor bass and nasty ≈10 kHz peaking. It seems that the early versions were better. Why the change in sound I have no idea. The 271 faired better than the 240 in 2003 though.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I'm a bit dubious about the validity of measuring a headphone for a review when it doesn't have the stock pads fitted, as this would certainly influence frequency response as a minimum....I'm not sure if it could have any other positive or negative effects on distortion, and if the original pads were angled (don't know if they are) then any non-stock pads used that are not angled could potentially damage the soundstage aspect too. I'd imagine stock or non-stock pads wouldn't influence the negative aspect you noticed when you say "During playback I could feel the entire cup resonating with each note.", then I think that's a bit of a red flag for this headphone regardless. Given the non-stock pads perhaps we can't place much faith in the measured frequency response though, in terms of it representing a stock K240. Having said this though, the frequency response is quite similar to the frequency response that Oratory published for this headphone, so it looks like in this particular instance that non-stock pads are not that far off from the stock pads in this particular case - so I think we got lucky with this one so-to-speak.
Looks like my intro into headphone reviews is missed. There is no reality which you are aiming for. The original pads that were sent were heavily worn. If I had tested those, that would have been an excuse. The headband is stretched on these which seems like a common problem. The original pads therefor would not make a good seal at all even if they were in good shape. How you wear the headphone is also not the same as how it fits on the fixture.

Not because of the pad but due to loose fit I searched for other measurements and they correlate quite well with mine. So there is no red flag here considering that headphone measurements are approximate anyway.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like my intro into headphone reviews is missed. There is no reality which you are aiming for. The original pads that were sent were heavily worn. If I had tested those, that would have been an excuse. The headband is stretched on these which seems like a common problem. The original pads therefor would not make a good seal at all even if they were in good shape. How you wear the headphone is also not the same as how it fits on the fixture.

Not because of the pad but due to loose fit I searched for other measurements and they correlate quite well with mine. So there is no red flag here considering that headphone measurements are approximate anyway.
To be honest, I don't agree, you have to set yourself somekind of standards with regards to what constitutes a review that is an accurate reflection of the stock headphone, otherwise it's not a fair review of that particular headphone model. If you think modified aftermarket pads constitute a fair reflection of the headphone model as sold then that's quite surprising & I believe unfounded. Sure, you can call your measurements approximate or inaccurate by the nature of all of the difficulties associated with headphone measurement, but I don't believe that's an excuse to decrease accuracy further by using aftermarket pads rather than the proper stock pads. I also don't agree with your viewpoint that headphone measurements are as inaccurate as you describe (although that's a seperate discussion although ties in)......if you do averages of different positions I think you can get closer to the truth of that headphone in determining an average measurement that is more finely comparable against other headphone models......so I think when measured & reviewed in this manner then certainly changing a headphone's pads from stock to aftermarket would certainly fall within the resolution of the measurements & you would therefore see a significant and observable difference. I don't accept your viewpoint, but I respect it.....in as much as it's your prerogative to measure headphones as you best see fit and I'll continue to read & enjoy your reviews albeit perhaps not always agreeing with all your points.

(If the original pads are worn to such a degree that makes them impossible to measure then you can always reject the review & testing and not test that unit at all. Additionally if the worn pads weren't too bad then that's still more valid then testing new aftermarket pads, as people use their headphone with worn pads for a great length of time. I don't see aftermarket pads as having any place in headphone reviews unless it's a comparison between stock & aftermarket).

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Remember the $59.- K92 ... here's what AKG has to say about it's design:
One would gladly buy it based on the description below. (my emphasis)

Professional drivers - clear sound in the studio and beyond

Our K92 headphones deliver authoritative, extended low-frequency response that gives definition to kick drums and bass guitars. At the same time, the detailed yet precisely balanced high-frequency response reveals the nuance in vocals, guitars and acoustic instruments. The K92’s generous 40mm drivers deliver the highest sensitivity and widest frequency response of the K52 and K72 - resulting in powerful output that reveals every detail. The K92s also feature a low-impedance design for compatibility with a broad range of playback devices, from professional studio gear to portable music players.

Closed-back design - get lost in your sound

The K92 headphones’ closed-back design eliminates audio leakage and delivers sound to your ears only. The mic won’t pick up the sound of the click track in your headphones - and you’ll always be able to mix and master peacefully without being distracted by outside noise. This exceptional level of audio isolation is due to a new acoustic chamber, which sits between the ear cup and the hinge that connects to the headband. Our innovative design gives you the freedom to move your head in any direction, without letting sound in or out. With the K92, you’ll enjoy a private workspace, no matter where you choose to create.

The style that fits all - comfortable listening

Getting the perfect mix sometimes means monitoring track levels for hours - and that’s when comfort really counts. We designed our unique self-adjusting headband to automatically create the perfect fit for every band member. No need to mess with delicate sizing mechanisms, which have the potential to break over time. The exposed headband design keeps the K92 headphones comfortably light, without compromising driver size. Breathable, lightweight ear pads encircle your ears, rather than putting pressure on them. The golden accents emphasize the high level of quality and create a stylish appeal. And a single-sided cable gives you freedom to move. To sum it up, these high-performance headphones sound, feel and look great.

A studio mainstay

Mix and master your tracks with uninhibited clarity with the AKG K92 over-ear, closed back headphones. Professional-grade 40mm drivers reveal even the subtlest nuances, so you can be confident your mix will translate accurately on any system. Whether you’re fine-tuning track levels within the mix or mastering the final product, the self-adjusting headband and lightweight design will provide hours of comfort. Designed by the company whose mics and headphones have helped create some of the world’s most iconic recordings, the durable K92 is a serious headphone that delivers great sound in the studio and beyond.

With all the above in mind ... have a look at Amir's test results.
I measured one too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom