• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AKG 371, disappointing; alternatives

asrUser

My AKG 550’s need some work (or replacement) because every piece of plastic on them has become sticky.

Very annoying.
Yeah it's annoying. You'd need to take off those plastic parts and polish it.

goat76

Major Contributor
I hate everything Bose but have to admit their headphones ain't that bad.
I also never use BT. The devices I mentioned can be used wired so.
That’s my experience too. I bought my Bose NC700 just to have wireless noise canceling headphones for outdoor use and traveling, but was surprised by the sound quality.

The tonal balance is good with just a little bright peak in the trebl. They have a nice clean bass and a fairly good soundstage. They can be used with a wire but will need to be turned on for the sound quality, otherwise they will sound like shit. Oh, they are also easy driven.

killdozzer

Major Contributor
I need a pair of cans very sensitive. I want them to be driven from a Digital Piano and I don't want the additional annoyance of a separate head amp. After having read amirm's great review of AKG 371 and how they are supposed to be in the highest sensitive tier, I ordered from Amazon. I wanted to upgrade from a very old Senns HD280 Pro that I used for the purpose.

Turns out the volume is not as strong as the Senns. I need to crank up the DP volume at max to get a mid level volume pressure. Also the sound signature is disappointing. Bass is feeble and staging no more than average.

All this is kind of surprising to me as I trust Amirm's judgment and was never disappointed before.

Anyhow I am returning those and look for alternative. Good / great quality and high sensitivity are my key factors. I am considering Senns HD 25. I can stretch my budget up to 300.

Comments, suggestions ?

Thanks
It's all OK, I wish you luck in finding what you like, but Amir is not trying to con you and sell you what you don't like. He never said you'll enjoy flat (or flatter) frequency response more than something else. One advantage of those, though, is that it's easier to EQ them to your liking. It's always easier to do the job when starting from neutral.

Also, it is more likely you've noticed the sudden lack of sound signature, rather than sound signature. But that's just wording.

asrUser

Dunno about Beyerdynamic DT990. DMS told they are very annoying in the treble. As for me I'd go for AKG K553 MKII instead and use an additional headphone amp. My old K550 were very relaxing to listen for hours.

Top Bottom