• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AKG 371, disappointing; alternatives

marklings

I need a pair of cans very sensitive. I want them to be driven from a Digital Piano and I don't want the additional annoyance of a separate head amp. After having read amirm's great review of AKG 371 and how they are supposed to be in the highest sensitive tier, I ordered from Amazon. I wanted to upgrade from a very old Senns HD280 Pro that I used for the purpose.

Turns out the volume is not as strong as the Senns. I need to crank up the DP volume at max to get a mid level volume pressure. Also the sound signature is disappointing. Bass is feeble and staging no more than average.

All this is kind of surprising to me as I trust Amirm's judgment and was never disappointed before.

Anyhow I am returning those and look for alternative. Good / great quality and high sensitivity are my key factors. I am considering Senns HD 25. I can stretch my budget up to 300.

Comments, suggestions ?

Thanks

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The HD280 Pro and K371 have a similar sensitivity BUT the impedance of the K371 is half that of the HD280 Pro.
Also the HD280 Pro has elevated bass.
The piano is likely to have a higher than usual output resistance so due to voltage division the HD280 will play louder and will be fuller sounding.

When looking at 'hifi sound reproduction' p.o.v. the K371 is the better one (as in more accurate) but does not mean preferred.
For monitoring purposes of a single instrument the HD280 Pro is probably better suited.

I would suggest you look at the Brainwavz HM5 in that price class.
Maybe Status Audio CB1 ?

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
What digital piano are you using? The specs of its headphone output will affect recommendations

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Alas no tech info about the headphone out other than: 6.35mm TRS jack.

When you want it louder then IEM's are the devices to go to. Of course, as I suspect the Rout of the CP88 is probably high the tonal balance of IEMs can be all over the place.

edahl

Alas no tech info about the headphone out other than: 6.35mm TRS jack.

When you want it louder then IEM's are the devices to go to. Of course, as I suspect the Rout of the CP88 is probably high the tonal balance of IEMs can be all over the place.
For planars too?

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Yes its a power switch more. But i would go with a good heaphone amp. The headphone outs on instruments are usually more a less then ideal solution.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
I mean spend 1/10 of instrument price for a good output solution is imo a good investment.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
For planars too?
planars are usually insensitive and those that aren't are very low in impedance so won't play loud. Besides, most are not elevated in the lows.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
AndBTW never seen a DP publish the on board headphone amp specs. And in my experience they're all bad even the ones costing several Ks

Similar to the output capabilities of (cheaper) USB soundcards.
In all these cases headphone outs are an afterthought and certainly not intended to be used with expensive headphones.

goat76

Major Contributor
If you want to be able to hear soundstage, don't go for the Sennheiser HD-25. I like the tonal balance and they are fairly sensitive, but when it comes to the soundstage it's almost non-existent.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Similar to the output capabilities of (cheaper) USB soundcards.
In all these cases headphone outs are an afterthought and certainly not intended to be used with expensive headphones.

Its not what a manufacturer thinks much about. This things usually get connected to a mixing desk. Or to a amp for speakers. The headphone out is just, yeah let something come out.

EZ Meno

I think you may have to just try different headphones and see what works the best. That's what I did with my Casio piano. After trying a few phones that sounded garbage I found that through DT770 Pro 32Ohm the sound is pretty good. I wouldn't go for very expensive headphones. There are many decent ones $100-200.

OP
M

marklings

Its not what a manufacturer thinks much about. This things usually get connected to a mixing desk. Or to a amp for speakers. The headphone out is just, yeah let something come out.
But it's wrong. One important use case for a DP is silent practice in your home. I know for a fact most of the amateur pianists have this arrangement

Top Bottom