• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Spoilt for choice..

Tonyg344

Hi everyone I joined this sure as or seems very unbiased and uses technonoldgy to form opinion sound is very subjective and one persons meat etc.

So I've been on a fairly long hi fi journey I love my vinyl and have an eclectic taste in music. I recent years I thing streaming has become far better and after trying the main hires options I stopped at apple music, it's price, performance and ui is better than the others. IMHO.

So headphones and headphone ampsuve had nemeroud headphones from cheap Sony and jvc through midfi akg701, denon 5200, shure 535 red, senn ie800 to my current ones

oppo pm1, 32ohm 96db planars
senn hd600, 300ohm nor sure of sensitivity and
fiio fh7, 16 ohm 109db

I love all three probably won't stop . I had a musical fidelity mx hpa but it didn't sound great, boring and a bit underwhelming I suspect power or lack of. I have a fiio m11, which drives the senns well but again not overwhelmingly I also have an ifi goblu which surprisingly is better power wise, it kicks out 5.7v I'm looking for a desktop amp for my cans, I tried a schiit valhalla 2 not impressed at all.. So back it went, the amp must have analogue inputs and be pre amp capable I intend using my icon audio stereo 50 as a power amp. It could have digital inputs but the m11 is a very capable dac/dap.

I doubt I'll ever get super hard to drive susvaras well out of my price range but some hd800/820, may fall my way, focals or cheaper hifiman. Dan clarks, I am very happy with what I have just want something to drive them properly.

I've narrowed down to 3

1 topping a90d
2 topping a70 pro hard to get in the UK just yet
3 fiio k9 pro

Any help most welcome.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can't help you with your choices, but let me say welcome at ASR. :cool:

jae

Major Contributor
None of your headphones are particularly hard to drive, to the point where even most usb dongles would suffice if your source is a phone/computing device. I would suggest a cheaper all in one topping device like DX3 Pro+, DX5, EX5 etc, the DAC in these be as good if not better to whatever you're using now- but no analogue in. If you want analogue input then you'll have to go with the more expensive topping like a70/a90 as you've figured out.

Another great option where the price is right is the MOTU M4 (which is also an ADC/DAC/mic pre) although the headphone amplifier portion of it is a bit lacking in comparison to the Topping, but should be more than adequate for your current headphones, although not necessarily harder to drive ones you pick up later.

The upcoming DX9 should have both dac and analogue inputs built in, a variety of digital inputs, streaming etc. I would say if you are willing to spend more this is a good option because it will handedly replace everything you currently have as far as amp/dac goes. If you have lots of money to spend buy the £2000 RME ADI-2/4 Pro SE now and never have to worry again :)

OP
T

Tonyg344

I think I've sorted this well nearly. I went and actually listened, meant some trips into London urghhh but hey ho.. I setleed on a Graham. Slee ultra linea, wow what an amp. I know it's nothing like I described above but it sound sooo good and drive both my headphones with ease.. The pairing with the hd600's was utterly amazing.. Anyway it's being built for me as we speak, hand made in Yorkshire...

So that left me with an issue the slee only has two RCA inputs nothing else. So I needed something that had two inputs and two outputs so I drive both the head amp and my main amp. Stumped I found the schiit saga and Freya stuff don't need balanced so went with the saga + now I need a decent desktop dac, I couid still. Use the m11 or even the ifi goblu. But I'd rather rather have something a bit better for this.. Narrowed to a couple

Chord mojo 2
Ifi dac signature
Cyrus dac but v expensive

I don't like the over detailed read bright sometimes harsh ess sabre or even akm stuff so burr brown chips are a thing balanced not needed.

Ideas please.

Top Bottom