• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AIYIMA D03 class D amplifier "Subjective review"

Jeromeof

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Anyone tried this with a 48v power supply? Would it work and sound better than the 36v or blow up/catch fire?
Probably wouldn't work and would not make it sound better.

For me the only 'problem' input is the aux in and that can't be fixed with the power supply, it basically a poor ADC implementation, the DAC itself is pretty good (for the price) but they should have at least level matched the aux-in to the other volume levels.

Wencyb

Hello! This is my first post and I wish everyone is doing great! I bought my D03 from an overseas seller operating at our local online shopping platform, Shopee. Been with vintage gears for years and have just started looking to a more efficient class of amps. Got the A07 and D03 and SMSL DA-8s and SU-8 and Topping E50 all at the same time. I dont have a trained ear and age is a factor, too, yet I can say that this bunch are incredible. My star is the D03. I hooked it to my HPM100 and to a hard to drive IMF als40 and it delivers. It does that for a month until it starts to emit a kind of crackling and rumbling noise every few minutes on the left channel. I retired it immediately after that. My Class D journey continues. Looking at Fosi now and see what it got. Sorry for my English.

via

Hello!

Sorry for a dumb question, is it OK to use this amp with Yamaha NS-555? Or it to low-powered for it?

Thanks!

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello!

Sorry for a dumb question, is it OK to use this amp with Yamaha NS-555? Or it to low-powered for it?

Thanks!
Speakers are quite sensitive. They will be fine with the D03 - as long as there is enough power for your listening distance and desired volume. But that applies to any speaker.

soxxoz

Good morning and happy holiday.
Thanks for info and opinions about D03. I have a little bit strange question.
I would connect it with usb to my nvidia shield (android box tv), in this case can will control the volume or its remote control sould be the only way?

koksiks

Hello!
I've been using this amplifier for more than a year, it came with a 32V 5A power supply, I really like everything.
Speakers from an old music center are playing.
I want to buy my first acoustics for growth, I liked the focal chora 826.
In the future, we will definitely consider purchasing a serious amplifier, but this will not happen soon.
Please tell me, if I buy a 36V 6A unit, will the amplifier cope with this acoustics?

Sorry for my English, thanks!

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello!
I've been using this amplifier for more than a year, it came with a 32V 5A power supply, I really like everything.
Speakers from an old music center are playing.
I want to buy my first acoustics for growth, I liked the focal chora 826.
In the future, we will definitely consider purchasing a serious amplifier, but this will not happen soon.
Please tell me, if I buy a 36V 6A unit, will the amplifier cope with this acoustics?

Sorry for my English, thanks!
I would try it first with the 32V supply. The change from 32V to 36V is only 1dB increase. And with 32V you should still get around 50W which exceeds the minimum specification for the speakers.

The 826 speakers are pretty high sensitivity - I guess much higher than your old speakers, so you should have no problem getting the same volume out.

Last edited:

carsonpoland

Hi! my BT has stopped working in D03. Im thinking of replacing whole module on amp pcb with one from ali. There are 2 version of BT QCC3034 and i dont know which one is in D03, analog or i2s output. Any suggestions?

Sea2speak

Hi! my BT has stopped working in D03. Im thinking of replacing whole module on amp pcb with one from ali. There are 2 version of BT QCC3034 and i dont know which one is in D03, analog or i2s output. Any suggestions?
My BT on the D03 worked great for over a year using the AptX HD codec from my phone...but it also stopped working. I found an old Google Chromecast Audio and hooked it up to the D03 using toslink.... It sounds noticeably better. I was bummed at first about the BT going out...but I'm glad now! The Chromecast Audio sounds better (and I'm sure measures better) and there are no drop-out issues due to distance since it is over my wifi. Even if you have to pay $60 for a CCA on ebay, it's totally worth it.

S0und

I have frequent cracks when I play music through this amp with USB connection. Has anyone experienced the same issue ?

Have you managed to fix this? I have this, but only on USB and with 24/192 tracks. My source is Tidal. The interesting part is that I also have a Coax PCI-E card, which plays perfectly with that source (same song). So it's the USB and that high bitrate. I've tried two different USB cables, but one is even longer than the other, and with both D03 plays in a crackling way. The issue is that I can only use USB as a source while I'm working, and this crackling thing is very annoying when you're listening to a playlist with high res songs and you run into one with 24/192 sample.

Marcorelle

Hi, I have the same problem as @theurden (https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...mplifier-subjective-review.25686/post-1274460). Sometimes the sound is interrupted for a second or so and then comes back. The problem happens to me both via USB and Bluetooth with different audio sources (Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon Music or direct playback). I returned the first amplifier for this reason, and the second one that has just arrived to me has the same problem, so it seems to be a design problem of the amplifier.

Hi guys

I have exactly the same problem ! I love this D03 , great AMP for the price but sometimes the sound is interrupted for a second.
happens in BT or USB with multiple files (MP3 , FLAC etc...) or simply watching a movie or playing videogames on my computer.
it s very strange cos I can play sound during hour without interruption and sometimes it happens 3 o 4 times per hour (on the same source).
I ordered a new one but it seems it has the problem too.

here s a video of the problem (I m not the author of the video but we can see many users report the problem)

Toku

Major Contributor
Hi guys

I have exactly the same problem ! I love this D03 , great AMP for the price but sometimes the sound is interrupted for a second.
happens in BT or USB with multiple files (MP3 , FLAC etc...) or simply watching a movie or playing videogames on my computer.
it s very strange cos I can play sound during hour without interruption and sometimes it happens 3 o 4 times per hour (on the same source).
I ordered a new one but it seems it has the problem too.

here s a video of the problem (I m not the author of the video but we can see many users report the problem)
I watched three types of video footage. In either case, when the audio is interrupted, the sampling rate on the D03's display momentarily disappears, indicating that the connection is broken.
In your report, the problem occurs with USB, OPT, and BT connections, so I think the problem is occurring in a common area.
What do you use for power supply? D03 is a fully digital amplifier and everything except the analog input passes through the same circuit. Once you use analog input, please check if the symptoms change.
I used D03 before, but I never experienced any of these symptoms.

There are important conditions for using D03.
The only signal that can be input to D03 is a pure stereo 2ch signal. Signals containing effect signals such as Dolby Surround or DTS cannot be input.
If such a signal is input, audio may be interrupted like video images, and the output may not be correct.
Video game signals often include some kind of effect signal. Many users do not understand this.

Last edited:

Toku

Major Contributor
It is class D amplification. What do you mean by fully digital amplifier?
The amplifier section of AIYIMA D03 is a digital input amplifier consisting of TI's TAS5548+TAS5624.
The input digital signal is converted to PWM using digital calculations and output to the speaker. So no DAC is required.
However, since analog signals cannot be directly input, an ADC chip is added to convert them to digital signals before input.

A class D amplifier modulates an analog signal with a triangular wave to obtain a PWM signal. Ultimately, they are the same in that they drive the speakers with PWM, but there is no digital process, so they are classified as analog amplifiers. .

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The amplifier section of AIYIMA D03 is a digital input amplifier consisting of TI's TAS5548+TAS5624.
The input digital signal is converted to PWM using digital calculations and output to the speaker. So no DAC is required.
Wow. Impressive. Very cool actually. Thank you for the very good and clear explanation.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
However, since analog signals cannot be directly input, an ADC chip is added to convert them to digital signals before input.

A class D amplifier modulates an analog signal with a triangular wave to obtain a PWM signal. Ultimately, they are the same in that they drive the speakers with PWM, but there is no digital process, so they are classified as analog amplifiers. .
Absolutely correct.

Though it could be argued that the amp itself is a DAC, since digital signals go in, and analogue ones come out. :p

Top Bottom