• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AIYIMA A70 Stereo Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 12 3.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 35 10.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 164 49.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 118 35.9%

• Total voters

Toni Mas

Just imagine where we'll be in 3 years! It's amazing the level of performance for the price and I for one look forward to the next generation of $300 (lol with inflation) Class D amps.
More or less same stuff at $1.000?

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don't quite get what some posters are thinking. I realize that many on this board are not native English speakers, but when people start saying they "demand" or "insist" that Amir does something, I can't figure out why they think they have any right to do that. Ask, request, beg, plead--all fine, but this is a free (as in $) forum. Amir can do--or not so--whatever he wants.

Similarly, I used to live in China and I still live in Asia and encounter Chinese people on a regular basis--like the guy sitting across from me at a bar earlier tonight. I don't find the term discussed in this thread for Chinese products in any way offensive. But if Amir and the mods say not to use it, that is really not much of a hardship. Why make a big deal of it?

Mods, if you want to delete this post for being off topic, go for it with my blessing. I just wanted to vent on a couple of issues that have bugged me for awhile.

Toni Mas

Not if you have active speakers. I get noise if I run unbalanced cables more than 1-2 meters. There are just too many potential sources for that in our home that it's easier to use balanced connections and be done with it.
Long cables are indeed an issue, though 1 or 2m should not. Btw, i find those 0.3m XLR/XLR connectors for desktop systems almost ridiculous...

Talisman

Forum Donor
Long cables are indeed an issue, though 1 or 2m should not. Btw, i find those 0.3m XLR/XLR conectors almost ridiculous...
I thought so too, but by running RCA cables behind a TV cabinet, together with other cables of various types, the result was an unbearable background noise which required me to study the passage of the cable very carefully to minimize the noise. When I tried to descend balanced in the same conditions I had no noise. We are talking about cables of one meter or so

TurtlePaul

What improvements in that next generation would justify added R&D by the makers that results in audible improvement?
Let's be real here about the R&D. TI committed a lot to engineer these chips and they provide copious documentation on how to implement input stages, build a post-filter feedback circuit, make a composite amplifier, etc. We don't have enough manufacturers who can come near the specs that TI outline in their papers. It should cost a few PCB prototypes and some components, or a few grand, to experiment with these enhancements - it isn't fundamental R&D. A few manufacturers have shown that redesigning the feedback loop to make a post-filter composite amp can get 100 dB+ SINAD.

sejarzo

Forum Donor
Let's be real here about the R&D. TI committed a lot to engineer these chips and they provide copious documentation on how to implement input stages, build a post-filter feedback circuit, make a composite amplifier, etc. We don't have enough manufacturers who can come near the specs that TI outline in their papers. It should cost a few PCB prototypes and some components, or a few grand, to experiment with these enhancements - it isn't fundamental R&D. A few manufacturers have shown that redesigning the feedback loop to make a post-filter composite amp can get 100 dB+ SINAD.

I should have been clearer, I didn't mean fundamental R&D as such. You're right, it's pretty much laid out there, but manufacturers have to see an economic benefit that is marketable.

It seems that many folks are hung up on merely achieving that nice round SINAD number rather than the audible benefit that's ultimately demonstrated.

sejarzo

Forum Donor
I thought so too, but by running RCA cables behind a TV cabinet, together with other cables of various types, the result was an unbearable background noise which required me to study the passage of the cable very carefully to minimize the noise. When I tried to descend balanced in the same conditions I had no noise. We are talking about cables of one meter or so

Same here, using Belden 1694 cables terminated with Canare RCAPs, I was hearing noise--so it wasn't due to bad RCA cables.

Guddu

Hi @amirm
Are you planning to have a tear down review for A70?
Would be really great if that’s possible at all.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hi @amirm
Are you planning to have a tear down review for A70?
Would be really great if that’s possible at all.
I hear you. :) I tend to not do that with products companies send me for review and not tear down. But let me think about it seeing how quickly you all post the pictures anyway. :)

Guddu

I hear you. :) I tend to not do that with products companies send me for review and not tear down. But let me think about it seeing how quickly you all post the pictures anyway. :)
Would be amazing if you could.

Personally, I kinda believe that Fosi are careful in picking components and they make great show and noise about it.
Aiyima, in contrast, have picked up not-so-desired components in past and a tear down would help many making an informed decision if they like.
Thank you

Mikig

Hi Amirm.

a curiosity: speaking of internal components, and seeing it open,
I refer to what was written above, we don't know what type of components the A70 uses, but, in your opinion with a device like this, which frankly measures well, how much can be, if there is, an improvement with more selected or high-end components?
do you think it might be worth it, or would the price go up more than the performance?
Thank you

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
Hi Amirm.

a curiosity: speaking of internal components, and seeing it open,
I refer to what was written above, we don't know what type of components the A70 uses, but, in your opinion with a device like this, which frankly measures well, how much can be, if there is, an improvement with more selected or high-end components?
do you think it might be worth it, or would the price go up more than the performance?
Thank you
Sorry Sir, but for me your question sounds like the old audiophiles songs.

There is no value added by "hi hend audiophile caps" justifying ultra high prices bs. Look at the DACs today, excellent measurements and no bs about specific high end components.

For the amps, Topping was near the sun but silly burnt themselves encapsulating few components believing it will protect their knowledge.

daniboun

Major Contributor
I don't quite get what some posters are thinking. I realize that many on this board are not native English speakers, but when people start saying they "demand" or "insist" that Amir does something, I can't figure out why they think they have any right to do that. Ask, request, beg, plead--all fine, but this is a free (as in $) forum. Amir can do--or not so--whatever he wants.

Similarly, I used to live in China and I still live in Asia and encounter Chinese people on a regular basis--like the guy sitting across from me at a bar earlier tonight. I don't find the term discussed in this thread for Chinese products in any way offensive. But if Amir and the mods say not to use it, that is really not much of a hardship. Why make a big deal of it?

Mods, if you want to delete this post for being off topic, go for it with my blessing. I just wanted to vent on a couple of issues that have bugged me for awhile.

There is nothing really surprising as you can see here

1710060143979.png

It is precisely because European and American mentalities are different that there will always be debates and exchanges of ideas here.
And it is also because freedom of thought exists that we still have the right to debate, exchange and ask with deference and respect.

daniboun

Major Contributor
Besides, we forgot to talk about the European price....
$198 with 48V/10A + 20% taxes = $237 If we're lucky, we can avoid customs fees, otherwise it's another +$20 to add to the total)
So I come back to the famous $30 that we could save with the stock PSU, at least for European people !

Palladium

IMO priced too close to the PA5 II.

If you ask me, I don't think TI places a high priority at squeezing every drop out of their amplifier chips. Most of them are sold for active speakers where the drivers themselves dwarfs the chips in distortion and any load dependency is gonna be fixed as part of a complete product anyway.

Last edited:

beagleman

Major Contributor
I should have been clearer, I didn't mean fundamental R&D as such. You're right, it's pretty much laid out there, but manufacturers have to see an economic benefit that is marketable.

It seems that many folks are hung up on merely achieving that nice round SINAD number rather than the audible benefit that's ultimately demonstrated.

Ya know, in "Real life" I do not think I have ever heard anyone proclaim "If I could just find an amp with at least 100db SINAD!!"

I think "most" consumers of audio devices, are looking at mostly Functionality, Cost, looks and maybe size and so on, not necessarily in THAT order.

The old......Am I getting something good for what I paid, often prevails.

Toni Mas

Besides, we forgot to talk about the European price....
$198 with 48V/10A + 20% taxes = $237 If we're lucky, we can avoid customs fees, otherwise it's another +$20 to add to the total)
So I come back to the famous $30 that we could save with the stock PSU, at least for European people !
Don't understand the custom fees issue... Why bother with making yourself an importer? Just buy to a local seller and you are done... Will also benefit with waranty rights that global piratry will always negate ..:)

daniboun

Major Contributor
Don't understand the custom fees issue... Why bother with making yourself an importer? Just buy to a local seller and you are done... Will also benefit with waranty rights that global piratry will always negate ..:)

Dont forget it is a pre order = only available now from their store = what I said

Top Bottom