• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AIYIMA A07 TPA3255 Tear Down

wwenze

Major Contributor
Why not put a thermal pad the whole size of the heatsink? Or try to squeeze in a side little fan? Though those might be noisy at high speed.
Interesting question. Thermal pad has lower conductivity than metal, but we have a whole chunk vs just some thin fins.

Or actually the question can be simplified if we just take the total volume of the fins. I think the heatsink still wins.

There's also the issue that by physically connecting to the chassis, you reduce the protection against impact.

carlmart

I will be getting my A07 next week. At the beginning of this thread Amirm shows how hot the heatsink gets with just 20W @ 4ohms.
Your comments on the thermal pad being less conductive that metal makes me think that maybe a flat aluminum plated, to fill the space between heatsink and top cover, might improve the dissipation.
OTOS perhaps the heatsink has to be isolated from the case. Maybe a small fan on the side, blowing into the fins, might do a better job.
One thing I would like to change, besides the caps that contact the heatsink up front, and might be affected by the heat, is the frontal pot. I wonder why Aiyima used a linear pot instead of a logarithmic one, as the circuit works better with the latter. There's Hungarian video, with English subs, that explains how to do that.
There is simple trick that also works to make a linear pot behave as a log one: as this is a 100K pot, put a 47k resistor from the middle POT pin to ground.

Roland68

Major Contributor
Though I'm pretty sure those cooling options were tried by Aiyima.
You can be absolutely sure that this is not the case.
There are easily 6-10 ways you could have achieved 30-300% better heat dissipation on the A7 for well under $1 in production.
However, this should have been done in development.
But they have chosen the cheapest and simplest option.

carlmart

You can be absolutely sure that this is not the case.
There are easily 6-10 ways you could have achieved 30-300% better heat dissipation on the A7 for well under $1 in production.
However, this should have been done in development.
But they have chosen the cheapest and simplest option.
Can you list some of those ways to 30-300% better heat dissipation. I named three: Increasing a bit the length of the HS, finding a HS with more fins, adding a small fan on the side blowing into the heatsink.
Would those work? Which others?

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
Can you list some of those ways to 30-300% better heat dissipation. I named three: Increasing a bit the length of the HS, finding a HS with more fins, adding a small fan on the side blowing into the heatsink.
If you are really worried about heat and want to run at high power, IMO Fosi V3 is a better way to go, and you set the same great TI3255 chip. Nicer volume pot too - better control of lower volumes.

On the A07, my thermal pad addition was cut to be just the size of the fins of the heat sink. It is just wide enough to fit between the fins and the case top. No damage to the chip from too much pressure. So far so good. I don't run it very high/hot anyway because of the taper of the volume pot.

Next easiest thing to do would be to drill holes in the case top. Some members here have done that. I prefer not to mar the case and just let the heat dissipate via the case. The A07 design is not ideal, many caps are too close to the heat sink. Because of this, I'm not expecting it to last as long as some of my other amps, but we'll see.

Roland68

Major Contributor
As I said, the best solutions would have to be planned for during development, they cannot be integrated later.

If you don't have the skills, you can destroy the power chip and circuit board.
- Screw a 3x2cm copper or aluminum plate onto the floor. Choose thickness so that a 1-2mm thick thermal pad fits tautly but without too much pressure between the circuit board and the aluminum plate. Thermal paste to all transitions.
- When the housing is closed, more cooling fins can lead to heat build-up.
- Get a heatsink that runs the full width of the case and is at least as high as the case or higher. For this heatsink, make a full cutout in the case and drill 5-6mm holes on both sides just above the circuit board every 1-1.5cm for cooling.

In addition to these measures, a different housing would make more sense. However, from this point you should think about real DIY with another class D amplifier board with this chip, a reasonable power supply and a housing. There is now enough selection of such boards with Class D amplifiers.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
As I said, the best solutions would have to be planned for during development, they cannot be integrated later.

If you don't have the skills, you can destroy the power chip and circuit board.
- Screw a 3x2cm copper or aluminum plate onto the floor. Choose thickness so that a 1-2mm thick thermal pad fits tautly but without too much pressure between the circuit board and the aluminum plate. Thermal paste to all transitions.
- When the housing is closed, more cooling fins can lead to heat build-up.
- Get a heatsink that runs the full width of the case and is at least as high as the case or higher. For this heatsink, make a full cutout in the case and drill 5-6mm holes on both sides just above the circuit board every 1-1.5cm for cooling.

In addition to these measures, a different housing would make more sense. However, from this point you should think about real DIY with another class D amplifier board with this chip, a reasonable power supply and a housing. There is now enough selection of such boards with Class D amplifiers.
Or, just get a Fosi V3 with the 48v power brick...and live life...!

carlmart

Or, just get a Fosi V3 with the 48v power brick...and live life...!
Yes, I didn't pay enough attention to the Fossi V3. Perhaps I get one Fossi and keep the A07 for powering a sub, if possible with two sub drivers or a dual VC.
Anyone knows if the Fossi back 3.5mm output is dual?
I know you can't bridge the A07.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
The Fosi V3 manual says the out jack ("pre-out") can be used for active SW or speakers or to a second amplifier. Other posts have confirmed that it is a pass-through, the V3 volume control does not affect output via the jack.

gasolin75

Addicted to Fun and Learning
From Amir's test, on 4-Ohms loads, when passing 77W/channel chip's protection kicked in. I would say that the original heatsink (probably thermal paste too) is not up to dissipate heat so well.

Maybe it would be safer to use a 32V/5A PSU for this amplifier when driving 4-Ohms loads.
in august 2023 we have a fosi audio TB10D tpa3225 chiped amp, it has a much larger heatsink

AIYIMA A07 TPA3255 Class D Chip Teardown.jpg
15-off-84-99-upgraded-version-fosi-audio-tb10d-600w-tpa3255-v0-27mtbeylef4a1[1].jpg

carlmart

It was experimented to some degree already. LM4562 and a couple of the OPA ones were prefered over the shipped one, likely on subjective basis though. a DIY forum or two did a lot of modifications on this unit and others.
Which forums you know have modified the A07? Some drilled holes in the metal case (top, sides and bottom) to help ventilation and lower the heatsink hot temp.

daniboun

Major Contributor
Check here influence of the Op Amps upgrade with the 3R Audio TPA3255 finished amp. Stock op amps vs LM4562 measured :

carlmart

I already bought mine with the LM4562 option. But I will probably do the ventilation holes.

Roland68

Major Contributor
Which forums you know have modified the A07? Some drilled holes in the metal case (top, sides and bottom) to help ventilation and lower the heatsink hot temp.
Just look it up on diyaudio, there are a lot of modification threads for AIYIMA A7, TPA3255/3251, one even with 5000 entries.

gasolin75

Addicted to Fun and Learning
A fan grill and just make time to make the hole

I wish they would make better cooling for the amps that has 2x100watt or more in 4 ohm at 1% thd

2x300 watt in 4 or 2 ohm 10% thd is still alot in in 8 and 4 ohm with 1% thd with no ventilation holes, just think of how much a normal sized amp has

s-l1600[1].jpg

carlmart

The A07 was built with some compromises, which the Foxi avoids. But it's popularity and sales success seems to show that the design constraints can be dealt with. I am not seeing so many people complaining about in Amazon, for instance, or in forums.
Those of us that "foresee" a potential problem manage things in a different way. It might be a good idea, for those that know how to do it, to add a hot temp sensor, with an alarm blinking LED on the front plate. Can anyone do so?

bgregory

to get a tube sound from this amplifier use an unregulated 32V adapter 30V .5 A would seem way to small but don't forget the 10:1 peak to average ratio of music I use a Jameco clarity can be improved by replacing the 6V reference for the opamps with a 5.6V low noise zener and using OPA32 TI opamps

Top Bottom