• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Advice needed on choice of Amplifier

LeontTP

First time poster here, appreciate all the informative threads and posts Ive read before!

Now Ive had my eye on the perfect Amp for me but could use some guidance. Im looking for an integrated Amp with a few requirements such as:
  • In my budget of around 500€
  • Remote controllable in different ways
  • Analog Ins
  • Black minimalist finish with little to no light indicators
  • Not too large of a footprint ( 30x30x10cm or so)
  • Flat as can be frequency response from 20 - 20KHz
  • Something that can handle tower speakers in a medium sized room or more in case of future speaker purchases
Sorry if Im not technical enough, Im not so into that side of things and am just looking to run my 2 channel Stereo with as high quality as I can within these bounds. Other features like bluetooth functionality could be a bonus.
So far Ive found some attractive looking options in the Rega IO and Argon SA1 but given their not so stellar measurements in Amirs reviews Ive been discouraged.
The best option Ive seen so far is the Yamaha WXA-50 as it seems to tick most boxes and measure decently and am currently looking at a used one for 200€. My only worry is if its not powerful enough, Class D amps always look so unimpressive but from what I understand they can output a lot.

What would you guys say, are there better options for me?

Thanks!

Last edited:

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
First time poster here, appreciate all the informative threads and posts Ive read before!

Now Ive had my eye on the perfect Amp for me but could use some guidance. Im looking for an integrated Amp with a few requirements such as:
  • Something that can handle tower speakers in a medium sized room or more in case of future speaker purchases
Sorry if Im not technical enough, Im not so into that side of things and am just looking to run my 2 channel Stereo with as high quality as I can within these bounds. Other features like bluetooth functionality could be a bonus.
So far Ive found some attractive looking options in the Rega IO and Argon SA1 but given their not so stellar measurements in Amirs reviews Ive been discouraged.
The best option Ive seen so far is the Yamaha WXA-50 as it seems to tick most boxes and measure decently and am currently looking at a used one for 200€. My only worry is if its not powerful enough, Class D amps always look so unimpressive but from what I understand they can output a lot.

Thanks!
Hypex amp from Buckeye Amps.

Dylan, in lieu of thanks I'm a big supporter of Heifer Project. Great charity. ;)

OP
L

LeontTP

Hypex amp from Buckeye Amps.

Dylan, in lieu of thanks I'm a big supporter of Heifer Project. Great charity. ;)
Thanks!
I thought Hypex was out of my price range but I see the Hypex NC252MP is not too far outside of it. Although with shipping and tax its probably about 800$ total.
But is this an integrated Amp, or do you need to get controls separately? I dont see a remote or any knobs.

Also, would I benefit a lot over the Yamaha WXA-50, is the 400 - 500$ difference worth it for me you think?

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Regarding how WXA-50 is; streamer, has DAC and subwoofer out and you can use Musicast as remote while performance is deacent no Hypex NC252MP bare naked balanced inputs only power amplifier doesn't even come close and it never will.
Wouldn't use WXA-50 with it's 50W 8 Ohms to drive tower speakers. If there whose no requirement for very small size I would tell you to try to find Yamaha R-N803/R-N803D if you can.

OP
L

LeontTP

Regarding how WXA-50 is; streamer, has DAC and subwoofer out and you can use Musicast as remote while performance is deacent no Hypex NC252MP bare naked balanced inputs only power amplifier doesn't even come close and it never will.
Wouldn't use WXA-50 with it's 50W 8 Ohms to drive tower speakers. If there whose no requirement for very small size I would tell you to try to find Yamaha R-N803/R-N803D if you can.
Sorry Im having a bit of a hard time following.

The extra Subwoofer out and Bluetooth are indeed bonuses, but my main worry with the Hypex NC252MP is if it doesnt come with any controls and if I will really benefit a lot in terms of sound.

The Yamaha R-N803 seems like a better unit but maybe not for me. Im looking for something more minimalist, no displays, bells or whistles, and in a smaller footprint. Truly I dont need the DAC or Streamer in the WXA-50 but it doesnt hurt that its there at least.

But youre saying the WXA-50 will not be strong enough for most tower speakers?

OP
L

LeontTP

I don't think it has integrated amps as the OP asks.
Oh, well thats a bummer. Id rather it be integrated and ticks most of my requirements.

Do you have any suggestions as to where I should look?

Sokel

Master Contributor
Do you have any suggestions as to where I should look?
For a medium size room,towers and at your price range no,I don't.
Some nice Yamaha maybe as @ZolaIII suggests or a well treated second hand bigger model.

OP
L

LeontTP

For a medium size room,towers and at your price range no,I don't.
Some nice Yamaha maybe as @ZolaIII suggests or a well treated second hand bigger model.
I have no problem going second hand at least. I just wish there was a Yamaha R-N803 but without certain aspects and it may have been perfect.

But if I were to go the Hypex route, say something like this: https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/powe...lass-d-stereo-ncore-2x250w-4-ohm-p-14185.html

Whats the process for integrating it into my system? Sorry, I really am a novice at this side of audio.

Sokel

Master Contributor
I have no problem going second hand at least. I just wish there was a Yamaha R-N803 but without certain aspects and it may have been perfect.

But if I were to go the Hypex route, say something like this: https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/powe...lass-d-stereo-ncore-2x250w-4-ohm-p-14185.html

Whats the process for integrating it into my system? Sorry, I really am a novice at this side of audio.
If you go this route I think it's better to save a little and go all in one like this.
You'll need nothing more.

Edit:Link where you can find owners impressions:

OP
L

LeontTP

If you go this route I think it's better to save a little and go all in one like this.
You'll need nothing more.

Edit:Link where you can find owners impressions:

Wow that looks almost perfect. Not a fan of the always active display but black tape usually works.

But whats this I read about no analog ins? Taking a second look it seems true. I definetly need at least 1 or 2 analog ins, probably should have added that as I play a lot of vinyl.

OP
L

LeontTP

Looking around Audiophonics Amps I saw this: https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/inte...-pure-direct-top-art-2x95w-4-ohm-p-15760.html

Not as powerful as the R-N803 but it gets rid of the display and is more within my budget. Seems to be about as big though.

Would you assume it measures similarly otherwise or should I stay away?

Edit:

Or this: https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/inte...lass-ab-pure-direct-2x115w-4-ohm-p-15759.html

Really going down in price here, feel like I shouldnt expect the same performance.

Last edited:

Sokel

Master Contributor
Looking around Audiophonics Amps I saw this: https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/inte...-pure-direct-top-art-2x95w-4-ohm-p-15760.html

Not as powerful as the R-N803 but it gets rid of the display and is more within my budget. Seems to be about as big though.

Would you assume it measures similarly otherwise or should I stay away?

Edit:

Or this: https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/inte...lass-ab-pure-direct-2x115w-4-ohm-p-15759.html

Really going down in price here, feel like I shouldnt expect the same performance.
I'll be biased towards these Yamahas,AS301 counts a chain of three or four members of my (extended) family,one after the other, faithfully working for years.
So...
It's even nicer looking than the pics up close!

Willem

Major Contributor
At this budget and with your requirement of vinyl input your choices for good amplification are limited. I would suggest the Yamaha AS501/701.

D

Deleted member 48726

Yamaha A-S301 seems to fit all your criterias. It also has phono stage. Yamahas A-S line is quality built. Maybe also look at 501 and 701 models.

Only concern may be IR to power. -What kind of tower speakers do you have and how loud do you listen to your music?

1680953620568.png

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
At this budget and with your requirement of vinyl input your choices for good amplification are limited. I would suggest the Yamaha AS501/701.
Definitely A-S 701 or A-S 801 for phono input, A-S 801 have better DAC and USB DAC input but it's more expensive.
@LeontTP display on R-N803 is not big and you can dim it (it won't be eye popping). When you realise you will actually need it all (eventually even more) what R-N803 has to offer except BT you will understand the proposition.
All of those proposed Yamahas (A-S, R-N range) are rather big with classical look for an integrated amplifier.
What do you already have and plan to continue using from equipment? How big is the room and what tower speakers you intend to run with amplifier?

OP
L

LeontTP

Is the only difference between these units the power output?

And how much power do you think I would need for tower speakers, just to be safe?

OP
L

LeontTP

Yamaha A-S301 seems to fit all your criterias. It also has phono stage. Yamahas A-S line is quality built. Maybe also look at 501 and 701 models.

Only concern may be IR to power. -What kind of tower speakers do you have and how loud do you listen to your music?

View attachment 277896
Its a bit superflous since I already have a Phono stage but another wont hurt.

Whats IR to power?

I have some System Fidelities but the idea is to furure proof myself for a bigger speaker upgrade around the 2000$ mark or so. Maybe some B&W 603s, just spitballing an example.
I have no accurate measurements but I listen around 80 - 90db I think.

Zapper

Addicted to Fun and Learning

• Analog Ins

Thanks!
Questions:
  • How many analog inputs do you need?
  • Do you need a phono input?
  • Do you need digital input? More than one digital input?
  • Do you want Bluetooth in the amp?
  • Do you want streaming capability in the amp?
  • How loud do you like to listen to music?
Comments:
Bluetooth and streaming can be easily added to any amp with a low cost streamer like the WiiMs.

How loud you like to listen makes a huge difference in amp power required. It takes approximately 10x the power to produce a perceived doubling of volume. A modest listening level (i.e. you can talk to someone easily without raising your voice or only raising it slightly) only takes a few watts to a few 10's of watts of power. Loud volumes (you have to raise your voice a lot to talk) might take 10's to 100's of watts. Extreme volumes (rock concert in the mosh pit loud) takes 100's to 1000's of watts. Speaker efficiency can also make a large difference. A 3 dB difference in efficiency corresponds to 2x the power. A speaker with 83dB/watt/1meter will take 4x the power as a speaker with 89dB/watt/1meter for the same volume. Lastly, larger rooms and greater distance between speakers and listeners require more power. The sound power initially falls off at a rate of 4x the power (6dB) for every doubling of distance.

For example, I listen at moderate levels and have speakers with 89dB/watt/1meter, average sized rooms, and like to sit about 2m from the speakers. I found no difference between a 36W/channel and a 100W/channel amp, because 36W/channel was enough for my needs. But many people want more power (sometimes a lot more) because they want more volume, have inefficient speakers, or have very large rooms and sit far from the speakers. It is not unusual for ASR members to have many 100's of watts/channel in their systems. Those are the guys who will tell you 50W won't do.

So, a 50W amp like the WXA-50 may be completely adequate or completely inadequate for you.

There was a previous comment about tower speakers requiring more power. That isn't necessarily true. If you compare tower and bookshelf speakers in the same product line from a given company, you may find the towers have more efficiency and higher impedance, making them an easier load to drive.

D

Deleted member 48726

Its a bit superflous since I already have a Phono stage but another wont hurt.

Whats IR to power?

I have some System Fidelities but the idea is to furure proof myself for a bigger speaker upgrade around the 2000$ mark or so. Maybe some B&W 603s, just spitballing an example.
I have no accurate measurements but I listen around 80 - 90db I think.

How far away are you sitting from your speakers?

Top Bottom