• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Suggestion for amplifier

malyala

I need some advise. I have an A/V setup from 20+ years ago and few months ago one of my amplifiers (Proceed HPA3 - 3 channel amp) stopped working. I need some help on what to look at as possible replacement.

Here is my setup -
B&W Nautilus 802 - stereo
B&W HTM-1 - center channel
Rel Stentor II - subwoofer
B&W in-ceiling surround speakers - don’t remember the model number (some 1100 or so).
Lexicon MC-8 pre-amp
Proceed HPA2, HPA3 amp

I was basically using the S/PDIF optical out from TV to pre-amp for the audio part. I have a blu-ray player and all, but, pretty much decommissioned except for some music.

What kind of amp should I consider. Should I consider integrated amp? I know this is deviating from separates I am used to .. but, want to keep the options open as I look for replacement units.

Apprecaite the help/guidance in advance.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Welcome!

Sorry about your amp failure. Always disappointing for sure

Good news is that modern integrated amps and AVRs are excellent, with built in DSP (Dirac, Audyssey, etc) that can give very satisfying results when it comes to room correction.

With many of them, you could also still use your 2 channel amp for your LR, and let the AVR handle the rest. I have a Denon AVR, and only use the preamp output as it feeds JBL monitors, but that gives me all the decoding and DSP and the amps just go unused.

Have you played around much with room correction software?

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would look at one of the 3 channel amps or possibly replace both with a 6 channel I don't see a 5 channel from Buckeye.

OP
M

malyala

Thank you. I haven’t been in the market for a long time as you can imagine and it’s time to do some research. Agreed that a lot changed over time and will check these options.

Roadracer311

Hello @malyala,
What region are you located in?
I'd be interested in your HPA3. I've got an HPA2 right now and an AMP5, and have had some luck repairing Proceed amps.
Thanks
-Paul

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Thank you. I haven’t been in the market for a long time as you can imagine and it’s time to do some research. Agreed that a lot changed over time and will check these options.
Why not just get the amp repaired? A much better option.

Top Bottom