• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Advice needed on choice of Amplifier

raindance

Major Contributor
I see. Not sure if Id want to get that into the weeds, at least until its a very reliable and common tech. But it couldnt hurt to have.

Is the Yamaha line the only one that seems to fit me then, or are there any other alternatives to look at?
It already is reliable and commonplace in home theater, just not so much in 2 channel. The Yamaha 803 is an interesting take and probably well worth the dough. No weeds involved...

Zapper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If people are still here, let me take these Revel F35s as an example:

Would a Yamaha AS701 be sufficient for these to sound as good as they can?

By the way whats up with that price, 700£ for the pair!?
Yes the AS701 would work well with the F35. The F35 are efficient (90dB/watt). Their minimum impedance is 3.6 ohms according to Amir's review. The AS701 is specced for dynamic power down to 2 ohms, which indicates it is capable of driving low impedances.

OP
L

LeontTP

Yes the AS701 would work well with the F35. The F35 are efficient (90dB/watt). Their minimum impedance is 3.6 ohms according to Amir's review. The AS701 is specced for dynamic power down to 2 ohms, which indicates it is capable of driving low impedances.
Great to know, thanks!

Do you know whats up with the price though, these normally cost more than twice what they do on that site, I thought it was just 1 speaker but it says pair...

Zek

Major Contributor
I run some budget tower speakers from system fidelity with my Cyrus 2 right now.
The Cyrus 2 is an excellent amplifier and if you could find its external power supply you would get a great combination that is hard to beat with modern amplifiers.

OP
L

LeontTP

The Cyrus 2 is an excellent amplifier and if you could find its external power supply you would get a great combination that is hard to beat with modern amplifiers.
Problem is Id need a new Cyrus 2 as well since mine is starting to fail on me. It also wouldnt include other requirements like a remote.

OP
L

LeontTP

Seems like specs. and internal build is much like the R-N803.

R-N803 may hold better value for you if you want to play with Yamahas' room correction, YPAO and/or a subwoofer in the future as it has crossover configs and subwoofer output. So actually when focusing on future proofing it would perhaps be the better choice according to your preferences and priority IR to display, lights and such.

My experience with YPAO is that it's not very great. At least it wasn't when I used it on an older AVR. I don't know it in it's current iteration. It is hopefully better today.
By the way, I just noticed the Yamaha AS701 has a Subwoofer Out as well, or am I missing something the R-N803 improves on in terms of Sub out?

D

Deleted member 48726

By the way, I just noticed the Yamaha AS701 has a Subwoofer Out as well, or am I missing something the R-N803 improves on in terms of Sub out?
R-N803 has different settings for the subwoofer output to better integration with the main speakers.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
OP
L

LeontTP

Maybe a shot in the dark but does anyone else find this suspicious: https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/yamaha-a-s701-verstaerker/2417072636-172-157

Ive seen adds on this site for the 701 but each one that pops up every other day for around 250€ uses these same exact pictures on different accounts. I tried buying one but the for some mysterious reason I could only send the seller payments through unsafe methods, paypals Goods and Services protection just didnt pop up as an option, first time thats ever happened. Im smelling some type of scam going around here.

DavidM1

Maybe a shot in the dark but does anyone else find this suspicious: https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/yamaha-a-s701-verstaerker/2417072636-172-157

Ive seen adds on this site for the 701 but each one that pops up every other day for around 250€ uses these same exact pictures on different accounts. I tried buying one but the for some mysterious reason I could only send the seller payments through unsafe methods, paypals Goods and Services protection just didnt pop up as an option, first time thats ever happened. Im smelling some type of scam going around here.
I think you've answered your own question. Shop elsewhere would be my advice.

OP
L

LeontTP

Got myself a 701 for my Revel F35 speakers. Question is should I run the impedance selector on Low or High for these speakers?

D

Deleted member 48726

Got myself a 701 for my Revel F35 speakers. Question is should I run the impedance selector on Low or High for these speakers?
Always run on "high" impedance IR to selector. This is to get max. rail voltage and max. power.

OP
L

LeontTP

Always run on "high" impedance IR to selector. This is to get max. rail voltage and max. power.
Im confused because Revel states impedance at 6 Ohm ( High ) but Amirs measurements go down to around 4. So I assumed it should be set to 4 ( Low ).

But I should not correlate Amirs measurements here then?

D

Deleted member 48726

Im confused because Revel states impedance at 6 Ohm ( High ) but Amirs measurements go down to around 4. So I assumed it should be set to 4 ( Low ).

But I should not correlate Amirs measurements here or?
Typically manufacturers use tricks to get power consumption lower and thus limits power. Using the "high" impedance you get full benefit from the amp regardless the lower load impedance.

OP
L

LeontTP

Typically manufacturers use tricks to get power consumption lower and thus limits power. Using the "high" impedance you get full benefit from the amp regardless the lower load impedance.
In what circumstance would it be better to use the "Low" impedance setting?

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Short answer is yes you should run it on low impedance selector.
Long answer is as the A-S700 measurements shown low impedance selector do limit Voltage so that it can better bare high Amperage, you lose a bit of output power and bit of performance but not much. Revel F35 falls to 3.5 Ohms around 200 Hz with sharp phase rise before that. Better safe than sorry.

Top Bottom