• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Adam T5V Review (Studio Monitor)

dcolak

One more observation, Adam T5V has much more audible hiss compared to JBL LSR series.

soundwave

So which you prefer? The lsr or Adam? They seems like direct competitor
They both sound good. I`ve had the 305p's for almost a year now and I have been listening to the Adams T5V for a week. I prefer the T5V slightly over the 305p. I think Adam's have better bass. They also measure better. The T5v's also have unbalanced connectors which I plan to use with a Mini DSP and Dirac. For me the JBL 305p's do not look as nice as the Adam T5V's. I do not like the plastic glossy finish, even though I have the white version. So I will sell the JBL's and keep the Adam's.

index.php

index.php

soundwave

One more observation, Adam T5V has much more audible hiss compared to JBL LSR series.
That is not my experience. I have the both the JBL 305p and Adam T5V and they have about the same level of hiss. I use balanced XLR connectors and the speakers are placed on stands beside my desk. From my listening position I can not hear either of them hissing. I have the Adam's connected now and I have to get real close to hear the tweeter hiss.

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
There could be some sample variation. Amir noted that there wasn't much hiss in his sample.

@pozz's Hiss List shows the Adam T7V at 30 dBA and the JBL LSR305 & 308 at 28.5 dBA & 30 dBA respectively. No data for the T5V on that list but if it's close to those, they should be hard to tell apart unless the spectra are wildly different.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
There could be some sample variation. Amir noted that there wasn't much hiss in his sample.

@pozz's Hiss List shows the Adam T7V at 30 dBA and the JBL LSR305 & 308 at 28.5 dBA & 30 dBA respectively. No data for the T5V on that list but if it's close to those, they should be hard to tell apart unless the spectra are wildly different.
I updated the list. The T5V hiss was measured at 29.7 dBA.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@pozz's Hiss List shows the Adam T7V at 30 dBA and the JBL LSR305 & 308 at 28.5 dBA & 30 dBA respectively.
Mind you those are the first generation LSR values, don't know if the MKII are the same, better or worse.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
I should've been more precise. I use LSR2325p and LSR2328p.

https://jblpro.com/en/products/lsr2325p
https://jblpro.com/en/products/lsr2328p

I would love to see those measured, as I am *very* satisfied with their sound.

T5V hiss can be easily heard at 1m distance (my mixing table). Tried using -2dB for HF, it did not help but I like much more the sound now :)
Looks like the 5" was discontinued in 2014 in US (last known price of US$145/ea), and in 2014 in Canada (last known price of CDN$219/ea).
Looks like JBL LSR305 predecessor?

dcolak

Looks like the 5" was discontinued in 2014 in US (last known price of US$145/ea), and in 2014 in Canada (last known price of CDN$219/ea).
Looks like JBL LSR305 predecessor?

I bought 305 and returned it immediately, it was nowhere close to LSR 2325p in resolution or loudness.

Found a stock of new LSR´s in Serbia and had them shipped via FedEx :)

YSC

Major Contributor
I bought 305 and returned it immediately, it was nowhere close to LSR 2325p in resolution or loudness.

Found a stock of new LSR´s in Serbia and had them shipped via FedEx :)
did a quick search, actually they looked much better than the later LSR series! seems the 30x series used a new and supposed better waveguide? the old 2325 looks like those used by neumann and genelec

dcolak

did a quick search, actually they looked much better than the later LSR series! seems the 30x series used a new and supposed better waveguide? the old 2325 looks like those used by neumann and genelec

They also use A/B class amplification. Altogether different game. Later LSR´s were a downgrade. When I compared LSR 305 with LSR 2325p I was like "where did the resolution go? all the details? everything was blurry."

I did keep the subwoofer from the newer LSR series, the 310s. It works ok. Unfortunately I was not able to procure the sub from the previous LSR series :-(

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They also use A/B class amplification. Altogether different game. Later LSR´s were a downgrade. When I compared LSR 305 with LSR 2325p I was like "where did the resolution go? all the details? everything was blurry."

I did keep the subwoofer from the newer LSR series, the 310s. It works ok. Unfortunately I was not able to procure the sub from the previous LSR series :-(

Do you recall how much the 2325P cost when it was on the market?

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
LSR2325P $498 per pair; LSR2328P $878 per pair; LSR2310SP $499 each.

I guess if there are significantly quality differences between the series, that's reflected in the roughly 40% difference in retail prices.

Natal

I have an elementary question: If I purchased only one Adam speaker and fed it a stereo input would the speaker output both sides of the stereo input as mono or would it just be one side of the stereo signal necessitating two speakers to get both sides?

dfuller

Major Contributor
I have an elementary question: If I purchased only one Adam speaker and fed it a stereo input would the speaker output both sides of the stereo input as mono or would it just be one side of the stereo signal necessitating two speakers to get both sides?
It would not produce either of those. Balanced inputs use a differential amplifier to cancel noise, so you'd actually hear A-B i.e. you'd hear the side channel in mono instead of A+B.

Natal

It would not produce either of those. Balanced inputs use a differential amplifier to cancel noise, so you'd actually hear A-B i.e. you'd hear the side channel in mono instead of A+B.
Thank you for the response clarifying. Much appreciated.

Juhazi

Major Contributor

With RCA (unbalanced) input, you can sum L+R with a splitter. At least I did that with my T7V and it sounds good and more spl than with just L or R. Less noise from the TV's noisy line out! Yes only one speaker, because there is no room for a stereo pair.

s-l400.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom