• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Power supply (?) induces mains noise, amplifier kills itself

flowolf

I have a strange problem. I used to have an SMSL A100 amplifier, but now I've come across a really cheap pair of Adam T5Vs that I wanted to test alongside my existing speakers.
So I wired everything up, and lo and behold, I had a lot of noise on one T5V. Much much louder than the normal tweeter noise of the other speaker, which is not audible from about 20cm.
Disappointed, I did a few A/B tests, during which my amplifier suddenly made strange noises and, with a few loud *pops* (directly from the Amplifier, not through the speakers) , said goodbye.
But suddenly the loud noise from the T5V had also disappeared.

The systems were not connected in any way, except that they share the same mains.

System 1:
Raspi 1 running Volumio -> dac HAT -> SMSL A100 -> Speakers

System 1:
Raspi 2 running Volumio -> dac HAT - Adam T5V

What was going on here?

Apart from that, I'm very happy with the Adams, which sound excellent with EQ.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sounds like your amplifier was oscillating for some reason, and eventually blew up from it.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Sounds like your amplifier was oscillating for some reason, and eventually blew up from it.
The problem here if I understood right was not only killing itself but also injecting noise to the other,independent system before it died.

I admit it's the first time I read something like this.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The problem here if I understood right was not only killing itself but also injecting noise to the other,independent system before it died.

When a power amp oscillates, it often puts out tremendous amounts of RF. Just guessing that's what he heard.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
What a great headline! Talk about clickbait! ;)
On topic :cool:, yeah, as @fpitas said, something rendering the amplifier unstable, leading to fatal oscillation, is a priori probably the most likely explanation (absent any further information on what failed in the amp).

Last edited:
OP
F

flowolf

It is exactly like this! but strangely only to one of the active Speakers.

Could it be a problem that the speakers are close to each other? And that power cables are also running close by?

Top Bottom