• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Adam T5V Review (Studio Monitor)

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
@Natal, you could sum to mono using other methods before sending to a single speaker, like by using software to sum and output dual mono, sending one channel output. The only general downside is that when you sum stereo to mono, some of the out of phase elements that create the stereo spread will cancel each other out, but most mixes are checked in mono and should be listenable.

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
With RCA (unbalanced) input, you can sum L+R with a splitter. At leas I did that with my T7V and it sounds good and more spl than with jus L or R, and less noise from the TV's noisy line out! Yes only one speaker, because there is no room for a stereo pair.
My recollection is that while technically that can work, it's not recommended to combine two outputs into an input using a cable due to the potential for impedance loading. Usually some adjustments need to be made with resistors.

Rane Note: Why Not Wye? (Or “Y” For That Matter)

Here’s the rule: Outputs are low impedance and must only be connected to high impedance inputs — never, never tie two outputs directly together — never. If you do, then each output tries to drive the very low impedance of the other, forcing both outputs into current-limit and possible damage. As a minimum, severe signal loss results.

Juhazi

Major Contributor
Anyway it works for me and no test gadgets were hurt! ADAM T series input impedance for RCA is 20kOhm. I've done this before many times with cheap gadgets, typically for bedroom TV when stereo pair is not possible. A single 7" monitor sounds much better than a pair of small plastic "boxes" side by side.

https://www.adam-audio.com/en/t-series/t7v/

phoenixsong

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Is it possible to apply a 3dB shelving filter mod to the >5kHz region of this speaker?

BYRTT

Forum Donor
Is it possible to apply a 3dB shelving filter mod to the >5kHz region of this speaker?
Into post 1 Amir used a high shelf of -3dB Q1 5500Hz, below animation toggles that EQ verse out of box..

phoenixsong_x1x1_1000mS.gif

dfuller

Major Contributor

paulraphael

We've got a pair of these on the way. They'll probably sit on a desk/tabletop. I see Amir put his on isolation pads ... any advice on this?

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
We've got a pair of these on the way. They'll probably sit on a desk/tabletop. I see Amir put his on isolation pads ... any advice on this?
Most people just studio monitor pads (aka acoustic foam) and call it a day.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=studio+monitor+pads
It reduces the transfer of lower frequencies to the desk/table.
Also, it will angle the tweeter upwards, towards your ears.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The bass from these speakers vibrates the heck out of the desk. I can't stand it. :) Any kind of foam would work to reduce that. I use some dense foam I got from packing material which works surprisingly well so have not bought any commercial products. I also have a metal stand that is wobbly and serves the same purpose but is barely big enough for these speakers: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SHCLR7T/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

615-QdBktVL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

busy_playtime

I'm putting together a small home studio to edit training videos and interviews. The monitors will sit on my desk beside my iMac. After reading this review I'm wondering if the Adam T5V ($200) is a better monitor for my work than the less expensive JBL LSR305P MKii ($130). The $140 savings would by a nice USB interface or a good pair of speaker stands and a calibrator mic to profile my room.

YSC

Major Contributor
I'm putting together a small home studio to edit training videos and interviews. The monitors will sit on my desk beside my iMac. After reading this review I'm wondering if the Adam T5V ($200) is a better monitor for my work than the less expensive JBL LSR305P MKii ($130). The $140 savings would by a nice USB interface or a good pair of speaker stands and a calibrator mic to profile my room.
If you don’t mind hiss it seems to me with a calibrator mic and stand is the way to go, both speakers are more or less neutral for the job in default and your room
Will likely influence more

busy_playtime

If you don’t mind hiss it seems to me with a calibrator mic and stand is the way to go, both speakers are more or less neutral for the job in default and your room
Will likely influence more
Hiss drives me up the wall. I'm rearranging my workspace to better accommodate larger speakers and checking the sofa cushions for spare change. The difference between a $240 set of monitors that annoys and a $400 set that I enjoy is not worth the savings.

Sonny1

These speakers are almost too good to be true. I wonder how much more it would cost them to eliminate that hiss. If not for the hiss, I’d buy them immediately. I returned a pair of JBL 305’s because I couldn’t take the hiss. They are an insanely good bargain but we’re not for me. Also heard Kali LP6’s and loved the sound. Hopefully one of these pro audio companies will address the hiss because a set of good performing active monitors for around $400 or so would be a true bargain for music lovers.

busy_playtime

The initial review suggest that speakers may be okay with a 30° angle upward from tweeters to ears. What suggestions to people have for using the T5V speakers on a desktop? Speaker stands, foam pads?

I'll be putting them on each side of my iMac in an equilateral 36" spacing ( L_ears_R). It seems like getting them up 3-5" inches higher would be beneficial.

BYRTT

Forum Donor
The initial review suggest that speakers may be okay with a 30° angle upward from tweeters to ears. What suggestions to people have for using the T5V speakers on a desktop? Speaker stands, foam pads?

I'll be putting them on each side of my iMac in an equilateral 36" spacing ( L_ears_R). It seems like getting them up 3-5" inches higher would be beneficial.
For verticals if you can adjust being within not more than +/- 5º window should benefit :) below animation is detailed overview of TV5 based Amir's analyze data and it toggles raw anechoic out of box verse prediction using optimal EQ based on DI (directivity index) curve..
busy_playtime_x1x1_1200mS.gif

Reactions: GDK
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The initial review suggest that speakers may be okay with a 30° angle upward from tweeters to ears.
To be clear, the tweeters are well below my ear height. Tilting points them at my ear. It would be similar to having them with no title but at ear height.

Top Bottom