• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Adam A5X Review (Powered Studio Monitor)

KSTR

Major Contributor
I can't remember any speaker with such design. Do you know some examples?
In the HiFi segement, I don't know of any examples either... probably because thermals are considered a non-issue for the most part which is basically true
But I've seen PA Bass Cabinets using this technique. With Neodymium magnets proper ventilation is paramount. While a voice coil easily survives 150°C for infinite time, a common Neo magnet does not, the simpler stuff demagnetizes at less than 80°C.

FeddyLost

Addicted to Fun and Learning
PA Bass Cabinets
It's just another league with hifi and NF/MF monitors.
Venting of good high-powered sub must be extremely well.
Most of small monitors don't even mention power compression in their datasheets while in case of pa subwoofers it may mean need to bring another stack and multiply power supply.

dfuller

Major Contributor
With Neodymium magnets proper ventilation is paramount. While a voice coil easily survives 150°C for infinite time, a common Neo magnet does not, the simpler stuff demagnetizes at less than 80°C.
Yup, this is why I'm pretty sure barely any neodymium sub drivers exist. Would be nice if alnico wasn't so bloody expensive (or a bit weird with lots of current) because nobody likes lugging giant ferrite motors around.

Last edited:

KSTR

Major Contributor
Yup, this is why I'm pretty sure barely any neodymium sub drivers exist. Would be nice if alnico wasn't so bloody expensive (or a bit weird with lots of current) because nobody likes lugging giant ferrite motors around.
For domestic HiFi Neodymium for woofers/subs doesn't make economical sense. You won't schlepp them around and you won't max them out... this is PA territory, notably portable installations where the extra cost of temperature-proof Neo is warranted for as it offers a true benefit: low weight and higher power density.

sounds_et_al

Great review! I was thinking either the A5X or the A7X for my studio monitors but after reading through the comments...I'm not so sure anymore lol

Mountain Goat

Forum Donor
Great review! I was thinking either the A5X or the A7X for my studio monitors but after reading through the comments...I'm not so sure anymore lol

I love my A5Xs. (With sub so the 5" driver can shine as a mid) Yeah, they can sound harsh on bad mixes, that's part of why I got them. They are studio monitors, after all.

pokerbarlo

Is there a thread on all of amirs reviews for quick reference for newbies building a whole system?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Is there a thread on all of amirs reviews for quick reference for newbies building a whole system?
Sure: Click on top level forum link: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php

The first three links you see are links to different review indices.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?pages/Audio_Equipment_Reviews/

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?pages/SpeakerTestData/

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?pages/HeadphoneReview/

pokerbarlo

Thank you very much. Would be great if you had a list of recommended products as well. :) On a side note would love to see a review on the CSS Audio diy 2tdx kits. There has been a lot of people raving about them on youtube.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Would be great if you had a list of recommended products as well. :)
I hear you and see the value for sure but this suggestion has been vetoed by the membership in the past. They feel that my personal recommendation may not be valid enough for such promotion. And other concerns. As a practical matter, I test so much stuff that I tend to forget them quickly anyway. :)

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Calling our resident DIY expert, @Rick Sykora.

Pretty sure this is the first time these speakers have been suggested. To date, our criteria has been under half a cubic foot. Otherwise, shipping them from me to Amir becomes a major portion of the expense. These are way larger and more expensive (assuming they would sell one speaker for $650) than any DIY I have done for ASR. Am estimating shipping is close to $100 each way.

That said, if the membership is willing to fund the expenses, am willing to build. Otherwise, will have to wait for a member loaner. :cool:

pokerbarlo

Pretty sure this is the first time these speakers have been suggested. To date, our criteria has been under half a cubic foot. Otherwise, shipping them from me to Amir becomes a major portion of the expense. These are way larger and more expensive (assuming they would sell one speaker for $650) than any DIY I have done for ASR. Am estimating shipping is close to $100 each way.

That said, if the membership is willing to fund the expenses, am willing to build. Otherwise, will have to wait for a member loaner. :cool:

The 1TD and 1TDX is smaller and the prices are per pair. They have a newer model as well with a better tweeter. Of all the speakers you made which one was the best for you?
https://www.css-audio.com/online-store/CSS-Criton-1TD-Kit-Pair-p109862382

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Clearly the Selah Integrity is the best DIY speaker we have tested to date (for comparable money. It would be difficult for a 2-way to come close. Selah helped but I funded and ate most of the cost. Not doing that anymore...

If CSS is that confident in a superior design, perhaps they would be willing to provide or fund? If not, my prior suggestions are the other options for getting a review done. $300-$400 is likely a reasonable hurdle if enough members are interested. :)

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you very much. Would be great if you had a list of recommended products as well. :) On a side note would love to see a review on the CSS Audio diy 2tdx kits. There has been a lot of people raving about them on youtube.
Tweeter measurements:
https://audioxpress.com/article/test-bench-the-ld25x-high-end-tweeter-from-creative-sound-solutions

Not likening what’s happening at 3kHz (dip on-axis, but at least it smoothes out off-axis).
Distortion at 2kHz is high, don't see how they couod perform well with the 1600Hz & 1800Hz crossovers for the 2TD & 2TDX kits.

What is the difference with the X models, better crossover design?

They have a measurement for both, here is my jab at scaling the 2TDX’s graph to 2034 standards:
3E4BF019-CDE7-48C4-AB12-10E53B4219A2.jpeg

Shows the same dip at 3kHz.

Last edited:

pokerbarlo

Tweeter measurements:
https://audioxpress.com/article/test-bench-the-ld25x-high-end-tweeter-from-creative-sound-solutions

Not likening what’s happening at 3kHz (dip on-axis, but at least it smoothes out off-axis).
Distortion at 2kHz is high, don't see how they couod perform well with the 1600Hz & 1800Hz crossovers for the 2TD & 2TDX kits.

What is the difference with the X models, better crossover design?

They have a measurement for both, here is my jab at scaling the 2TDX’s graph to 2034 standards:
View attachment 127561

Shows the same dip at 3kHz.

The X version has the new upgraded tweeter

ChuckL

Fantastic report. I have been using a pair (German built) for family entertainment with a pair of small subs in a problematic cubic room. With Dirac Live and not much 'treatment', the 1K notch is not noticeable. There are MUCH bigger problems with room modes in the real world. Your lab grade data confirms what I have measured with REW and Audio Tools, indoors and outdoors. Now I wonder how toying with the ports can possibly improve this. In a small room, I thought that front ports might be more desirable so I could place them closer to the wall - maybe not. Placement too close to the front wall is still undesirable in any case especially without treatment at front or back. Id like to see what sub woofer you would suggest for these units and suggested crossovers designs. At this point in life, my ears have 1/2 the bandwidth of the tweeter ... sigh.

Top Bottom