• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Adam A5X Review (Powered Studio Monitor)

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Did I understand you correctly that using a subwoofer with these monitors solves the issue with sharp dip at 1.1 kHz? I.e. the less bass the A5X woofer plays, the less this 1.1 kHz dip pronounced?
Welcome Aboard @Serge.

FeddyLost

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If we are seriously talking about that altering port response, i'd take some fluffy mat like baked hollowfiber mats and experiment with thickness to absorb frequencies from 300 and up.
But i really don't know how to fix it properly in ports. Maybe glue up with silicone sealant?

sleepyboy69

@KSTR , would you be able to comment specifically on a77x's? Any known issues to look out for in these and whether they can be corrected? Also if adding a subwoofer might help.

dfuller

Major Contributor
@KSTR , would you be able to comment specifically on a77x's? Any known issues to look out for in these and whether they can be corrected? Also if adding a subwoofer might help.
I can't speak for him, but in my experience they were extremely scooped and hyped sounding. Far worse than these.

KSTR

Major Contributor
Want my honest personal opinion? I would avoid them. Those are A7X cores (wrt crossover and drivers) with a second woofer patched in which is simply rolled off earlier than the main mid-woofer. This compromises mid frequency directivity big time (they are best used vertically anyway). They can play loud and considerably deep, though.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor

dfuller

Major Contributor
Want my honest personal opinion? I would avoid them. Those are A7X cores (wrt crossover and drivers) with a second woofer patched in which is simply rolled off earlier than the main mid-woofer. This compromises mid frequency directivity big time (they are best used vertically anyway). They can play loud and considerably deep, though.
Doesn't sound significantly different from the S3As I used to own, or the Focal Twins that @hardisj reviewed a bit ago... Meaning directivity in both axes is chewed up bad.

KSTR

Major Contributor
Doesn't sound significantly different from the S3As I used to own, or the Focal Twins that @hardisj reviewed a bit ago... Meaning directivity in both axes is chewed up bad.
Probably they have the same underlying conceptional issue, use a simple two-way XO and add the second bass driver with just a simple lowpass. This cannot work well physically, you need an allpass phase network on the main midwoofer+tweeter to mimic the phase response of the new woofer to avoid lobe tilt. And even then, the horizontal directivity now is similar to what the vertical directivity was for the corresponding vertical 2-way. Actually, due to the symmetry and ports nearby, it often is worse. This is a difficult acoustic layout in many regards.

JIW

Sound and Recording reviewed and measured them. The review is accessible via Thomann: https://www.thomann.de/de/prod_pdfreview_29409-mm50009_sr201206052.pdf
Screenshot 2021-05-23 at 16.34.04.png

dfuller

Major Contributor

Raitsa

Nope, just ran em like they were set from the factory.
The only thing that bugs me is that T5V’s dont have a nice way to mount to a wall or ceiling like say... most Genelecs have.
I wish these had threaded boltholes in the back as standard but no

YSC

Major Contributor
Nope, just ran em like they were set from the factory.
The only thing that bugs me is that T5V’s dont have a nice way to mount to a wall or ceiling like say... most Genelecs have.
I wish these had threaded boltholes in the back as standard but no
with the advised rear distance being 16 inch from wall, I bet it's deliberate to not include them

respice finem

Major Contributor
That said, it is probably relative, as in the intended scenario, with room correction via AV preamp, they will work as "small" and thus not produce much bass.

Last edited:

dfuller

Major Contributor

skyfly

A8X is not a good speaker, it is boom/zing party box style. One simply cannot match a hard-coned 8" to an AMT without severe directivity issues, plus it has even more bass hump than other ADAM's. Plus the distortion (even more on the tweeter which is forced to XO lower here).

Because of that, I more want to see A8X measured.

Genelec 8050B has 8 inch woofer/midrange driver, too.

Spendor Classic 2/3 also has 8.5 inch woofer mated to 22 mm tweeter. I want to believe that it must sound poor, but I hear different listening test reports.

B&W, Harbeth etc. match large midrange driver (instead of smaller one) to tweeter in their top of the line products.

FeddyLost

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I want to believe that it must sound poor, but I hear different listening test reports.
It will induce directivity issues, but it's not always sound bad in real life. Otherwise Audio Note would go bancrupt long ago...

Top Bottom