• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Active speakers for HiFi/ home theater

I'm looking for a stereo pair of active studio monitors to be used mainly for music listening but also to pair with my TV for movies in my 65 m² living room (open floor space).

I am seriously considering a pair of Adam A8H's as I have never had a three way system and really want to try some to see what the fuss is all about.

Their close to full range response and their relatively high SPL output are things I am interested in since I need high power output for when I am listening to music while in the kitchen which is about 10 meters away from where the speakers will be placed or when I am having a house party.

I have considered HiFi floorstanding speakers but I much prefer active studio monitors as I generally like what they have to offer and the tunability of their sound not to mention I feel like I am getting more bang for my buck going that route.

I've also considered a pair of A7V's with a Subwoofer but I prefer the more elegant solution of a stereo setup and again, I'd like to try a three way speaker for a change.

Based on my requirements and preferences, do you guys think the A8H's are a good choice for my needs?

staticV3

Master Contributor
The A8H's uneven and sometimes narrow directivity may not be ideal for your application where reflected sound will frequently dominate:
Screenshot_20231124-010916_Drive.png Screenshot_20231124-010930_Drive.png

rubinken

I'm looking for a stereo pair of active studio monitors to be used mainly for music listening but also to pair with my TV for movies in my 65 m² living room (open floor space).

I am seriously considering a pair of Adam A8H's as I have never had a three way system and really want to try some to see what the fuss is all about.

Their close to full range response and their relatively high SPL output are things I am interested in since I need high power output for when I am listening to music while in the kitchen which is about 10 meters away from where the speakers will be placed or when I am having a house party.

I have considered HiFi floorstanding speakers but I much prefer active studio monitors as I generally like what they have to offer and the tunability of their sound not to mention I feel like I am getting more bang for my buck going that route.

I've also considered a pair of A7V's with a Subwoofer but I prefer the more elegant solution of a stereo setup and again, I'd like to try a three way speaker for a change.

Based on my requirements and preferences, do you guys think the A8H's are a good choice for my needs?

rubinken

You didn't state how much you'd like to spend. If they're within your range. I highly recommend the Dutch & Dutch 8c's. Check them out.

Tom C

Major Contributor
Black Friday. Direct from JBL. 705P and 708P B-stock, best discount I’ve seen since pre-COVID. Don’t know if it’s in budget, but to me sounds perfect for your described application.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

While they aren't 3 way speakers, the JBL 708P has some impressive SPL capabilities (500wpc in a 2x250w setup), with nice wide directivity. My listening position is about 14' from the speakers, and I've got another 20' or so behind me, and there's never a shortage of volume available.

How far is your actual listening position during normal listening? I'm assuming you aren't looking for 110dB SPL from the kitchen

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If budget allows I would add a grand and take the similar sized/looking Neumann KH310A.

Edit: Or a pair of Neumann KH750 and a KH750 sub.

OP
drummerdimitri
Thanks for the recommendations so far.

My budget is strictly limited to 3,000 $ a pair. Also, keep in mind that I live in Beirut, so most of the options mentioned on here are not available to me hence my tendency to go for Adam audio products as I currently own their S2V's which I love and the dealer can match the prices of such products in the US.

Eve audio is also an option but I find them a bit overpriced for what they offer and therefore Adams are a better option.

Neumann and JBL are not available locally unfortunately.

My listening position from the couch will be between 3-4 meters.

Randyman...

Black Friday. Direct from JBL. 705P and 708P B-stock, best discount I’ve seen since pre-COVID. Don’t know if it’s in budget, but to me sounds perfect for your described application.
I peeked at the Refurb's for grins - Looks like they are down to a single 708P and a pair of 705P's as of this posting...

staticV3

Master Contributor
For (relatively) full range support, wide directivity, active, and ~$3k/pair I found the Genelec 8050B, Neumann KH 150, and a bit out of left field, the Devialet Phantom II.

Are any of these available in Beirut? What's the price like?

OP
drummerdimitri
For (relatively) full range support, wide directivity, active, and ~$3k/pair I found the Genelec 8050B, Neumann KH 150, and a bit out of left field, the Devialet Phantom II.

Are any of these available in Beirut? What's the price like?

I really can't stand the looks of the Genelecs and being 1,895 $ a pop, the price here should be around 4,000$ for the pair which is above my budget. Also the rear facing port is not ideal for placement close to a wall which is how I'm going to have to mount the speakers.

Neumann is not available as stated in my previous post and the Devialet are just not my cup of tea design wise.

Are the A8H's really not suitable for my use case because they seem like the only reasonable option thus far.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Are the A8H's really not suitable for my use case because they seem like the only reasonable option thus far.
They're designed for a fixed listening position (ca. 1.5-3m from the speakers) in a treated space where directivity won't matter as much. They also need at least 10cm between the rear plate and the wall for heat dissipation.

You OTOH have a (presumably) untreated environment and will be sometimes 3-4m away on a couch and other times 10m away in your kitchen.

The A8H's characteristics just do not suit your use case I think.

OP
drummerdimitri
They're designed for a fixed listening position (ca. 1.5-3m from the speakers) in a treated space where directivity won't matter as much. They also need at least 10cm between the rear plate and the wall for heat dissipation.

You OTOH have a (presumably) untreated environment and will be sometimes 3-4m away on a couch and other times 10m away in your kitchen.

The A8H's characteristics just do not suit your use case I think.

Got it.

I own a pair of Adam S2V's so would those along with a subwoofer be a better choice?

Another option would be the A7V's with a sub.

mjgraves

I picked up a pair of JBL 705P B-Stock from PSSL.com. Just arrived today. Quite impressed so far. Feeding from Pi4 + Hifiberry Pro XLR DAC for now. Ordered a SPDIF HAT and SPDIF to AES adapter to arrange a digital feed.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Seriously? On 4 m a very capable bookshelf speakers that can go 100 dB SPL @1 m continuous without compression or little of it and have wide dispersion will be enough to pass calibration point and again non of studio monitors are that. For 10 m you are better off with some deacent big 12~15" PA's that can push at last 10 dB more continuesly and with large tweater. Either way I don't have a concrete proposition nor idea what's available there.
For money and if available pasive Wharfedale Linton's and Dynacord L1300FD amplifier would be enough for 4 m and you get a DSP with PEQ and FIR in amplifier.

unpluggged

Neumann and JBL are not available locally unfortunately.
What about ordering from Thomann or Music Store Koeln? You can ask them if they ship to Lebanon (highly likely they do).

Top Bottom