• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Active speaker advice

TimW

Major Contributor
I almost forgot about the GGNTKT Model 1. It is an active loudspeaker of what appears to be excellent design with advanced directivity control. The cardioid radiation it provides is only available in other much more expensive active loudspeakers like the Kii 3 and the D&D 8C as far as I know. You would probably have to stretch the budget a bit though.

OP
RobL

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I almost forgot about the GGNTKT Model 1. It is an active loudspeaker of what appears to be excellent design with advanced directivity control. The cardioid radiation it provides is only available in other much more expensive active loudspeakers like the Kii 3 and the D&D 8C as far as I know. You would probably have to stretch the budget a bit though.

I actually really like the look of that speaker...but 5950€ puts up to about CAD$9000 and it’s more than I really want to put into this.

TimW

Major Contributor
I actually really like the look of that speaker...but 5950€ puts up to about CAD$9000 and it’s more than I really want to put into this.
That is 5950€ including 19% VAT. Excluding VAT puts them at 5000€ which equates to about CAD$7500. Still 50% over your budget unfortunately.

Tangband

Major Contributor
Hi, I’d like to purchase some active speakers for 2 channel listening in my living room. I’m considering Kef ls50 wireless 2’s or Genelec 8050b’s (basically the same cost for either here). I haven’t heard either speaker and am not able to audition due to where I live. Anyone heard both that can give their opinion Of them? I would also consider 8350’s to get glm, but that adds another CAN$2000 by the time I add the glm kit, which would also get me some pretty good subs for ls50’s...
Not sure how to proceed, is there a better alternative for the money? I’d like to try and keep it under CAN$5000. I’m aware of diminishing returns for hifi stuff, but willing to spend more if it’s worth the investment I guess.
I have the Genelec 8340, connected with spdif digital out by a Yamaha wxc50 streamer.
The biggest advantage of the GLM function is not necessary the room correction in the bass area. Its the ability to fine tune the monitor for superb hifi-use.
In my case, using GLM, I let the shelving function from 3000 Hz to 20000 Hz lower the treble - 1 dB. And a -1 dB dip at 4 kHz with a Q=2.
The result is a pure audiophile sound , Im very happy with it.
Even without GLM the sound is absolutely fantastic.

The ls50 , good as it is, cant really compete with sound quality against Genelec. A 8030c is better.
If you dont believe it, do a comparison.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
I’d like to try and keep it under CAN$5000.
Is the size of the speaker an issue?

If size is no issue, then consider...
1. Neumann KH 310A
(Normally CDN$2,860/ea) (Sometimes on sale for 10-15%, when certain dealers/resellers offer storewide sale)
- avshop, economik, gsbts, long-mcquade, mediamusique, musiccitycanada, stevesmusic, tomleemusic

2. JBL 708P (Normally CDN$3,200/ea) (Sometimes on sale for 10-15%, when certain dealers/resellers offer storewide sale)
- amazon.ca (CDN$2400/ea very low pricing?!), long-mcquade, avshop, musiccitycanada, studioeconomik

Dealers/Resellers that had 10-15% off sales during Christmas season of 2020 (sorted A-Z):
- acclaim-music
- avshop
- musiccitycanada
- musiquegagne

Info taken from my previous post.

Midwest Blade

I see the g4 at Music City for CAN$1154. The G5 is CAN$1851. Is there much difference between these and the 80x0’s? Look very similar.

Home series seem to have slightly less power, different tone adjustment levels and has rca connection. The pro series are usually less money not sure of there is any sonic differences.

OP
RobL

RobL

I have the Genelec 8340, connected with spdif digital out by a Yamaha wxc50 streamer.
The biggest advantage of the GLM function is not necessary the room correction in the bass area. Its the ability to fine tune the monitor for superb hifi-use.
In my case, using GLM, I let the shelving function from 3000 Hz to 20000 Hz lower the treble - 1 dB. And a -1 dB dip at 4 kHz with a Q=2.
The result is a pure audiophile sound , Im very happy with it.
Even without GLM the sound is absolutely fantastic.

The ls50 , good as it is, cant really compete with sound quality against Genelec. A 8030c is better.
If you dont believe it, do a comparison.

Are you using them with a sub(s)? If I want to use glm with them, am I married to genelec subs? Nothing against their subs, but spec wise they seem pretty spendy compared to hifi brands.

OP
RobL

RobL

Is the size of the speaker an issue?

If size is no issue, then consider...
1. Neumann KH 310A

2. JBL 708P

Info taken from my previous post.

The Neumanns sound like a great monitor, but probably a little wide for where they will be placed. If I could get the 708’s for $2400 each, I’d probably go that route as I really enjoyed my 6328’s. I did see them on amazon.ca for that price but they only had 1 available and I waffled to long about grabbing it and someone else nabbed it. Also a bit gunshy after reading about several people having issues with them. My 6328’s were rock solid speakers, never had an issue after 4 years of considerable use, and they didn’t get babied. Sold them to a recording studio for 75% of what I paid for them. Great speakers!

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
I know Amir noted the power limitation of 8050B's.
But in my experience, I don't listen to super loud levels anyway, so it's not a deal-breaker for me.
I have Genelec 8040B and sit 3.0 m away.
They get plenty loud for me, even before engaging the distortion limiter.
Most of the time (watching TV or just listening to music), I don't feel the need for a subwoofer. I do miss having a subwoofer, however, when I'm watching movies that I know have content down to 20hz...in which case I miss my HSU 15" ported subwoofer, like I have in my home theater, with passive speakers.

Of course, a subwoofer will help the Genelecs more breathing room, so I do see the value of using subs with them. For me, it's just a matter of budget.

I haven't tried GLM, but I hear good things.
Although, I'm still not convinced of spending so much on a GLM sub (cheapest is 7350A SAM with 8" woofer is US$1260).
Alternatively to going down the path of GLM, for a studio subwoofer, I can get two of US$500/ea Monoprice's Monolith 10" THX subs, since they have XLR inputs.
See my subwoofer comparison to understand their performance.

So, for a budget build, I would go for something like...
- Genelec 8030C (normally CDN$700/ea) CDN$1400/total
- Monoprice's Monolith 10" THX subs. US$500/ea. Two units. CDN$1266/total
- miniDSP SHD. US$1200 => CDN$1520.
Total CDN$4186, plus taxes/import duties/etc would be around CDN$5000

Tonygeno

Forum Donor
Hi
I'd vote for the Genelec 8050C, if you're coming from the 6328p's...
Unfortunately Genelec never upgraded the 8050 to C. Only the B is available with class AB amps. The C models typically have Class D amps and work in any country whereas the B has to have the correct electric power.

Top Bottom