• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A Raspberry Pi as a music server

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I think Amir also measured the Allo Digione and Digione Signature.
He did, but they're not DAC HATs. They're both Digi HATs and so you'd still need an external DAC.

Lucaxxaa

...i Will buy rpi4.
Now I use rpi3b+ with Volumio software + bubleupnp and smsl su-9 USB DAC and listen qobuz hires

But, is true that rpi4 work well on usb signal ?
( When I will have two RPI, one will be for music other for play games by retropie distro )

maltux

The raspberry pi3 will offer better results. The rpi 4 generates a lot more heat (and noise) as it has a much more powerful processor. Reading articles on rpi music players people generally suggest the rpi3. Sorry I do not have the articles at my ready but I'm sure a google search will benefit you.
I have 2 rpi4's in argon cases and they are wonderful but I still use a rpi3 with a hifiberry for a music streamer running Rune.

Good luck! :)

nelamvr6

Forum Donor
WOW - no wonder I stay off these boards => great reminder to unsubscribe.thanks!

I deleted my post once I read further back into the thread.

Personally I would choose the Pi4 using USB to my DAC. USB being asynchronous makes it a superior interface IMHO, and Pi4's USB channels are cleaner than Pi3's since they are not on the same channel as ethernet on the Pi4.

But if you are determined to use a HAT then Pi3 may be a decent choice. Hence I deleted my post. But not before it offended you. I'm sorry.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
...i Will buy rpi4.
Now I use rpi3b+ with Volumio software + bubleupnp and smsl su-9 USB DAC and listen qobuz hires

( When I will have two RPI, one will be for music other for play games by retropie distro )
The Pi 4 will work well on USB, and won't have the pop/click issues that the earlier Pi models might if you decide to run something like BruteFIR. It does produce more heat, but that's not usually a problem for audio, and has improved over time as the power saving in the software has improved. I won't stop using earlier Pis, but if I was buying now I would get a 4, or a Zero W if I could get away with it.

GeorgeWalk

I use a RPI 4 and USB with my Topping D10s. It works fine no issues. I have also tested it with the Topping D90 and Topping A50s. All worked great over USB. I have also used hats and they work fine also.

mikeburns

RPi4 here. Its awesome. I like the speed and it doesn't get hot really. I use a flirc case which acts as a heat sink so no need for a fan for my audio application.

I would not get a pi3 due to the shared USB bus (not that many people actually noticed anything on the pi3 I would just prefer to avoid any possible artifacts). I also would not worry about a hat if you already have an asynchrous USB based DAC. If you don't then the hat might be a cheaper option though an external dac may give you a wider range of options and better specs.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The raspberry pi3 will offer better results. The rpi 4 generates a lot more heat (and noise) as it has a much more powerful processor. Reading articles on rpi music players people generally suggest the rpi3. Sorry I do not have the articles at my ready but I'm sure a google search will benefit you.
I have 2 rpi4's in argon cases and they are wonderful but I still use a rpi3 with a hifiberry for a music streamer running Rune.

Good luck! :)

I have my pi 4 in an akasa gem pro fanless case and it runs moderately warm and silently. The pi replaced an allo usbridge signature. I didn’t bother to abx them as on paper there’s no point. There is no audible difference whatsoever. The pi 3 is fine too. I can’t believe that the issue of which SOC board is best for sending a pcm stream to a dac gets this much attention. If I had to complain about the pi I’d highlight the superfluous gpu or the lack of open hardware standards, not the usb bus.;)

Aldoszx

I have a couple of RPi 3A+ connected via USB to D10s, E30 DACs.
Don't have any issue regarding SQ.
All those DACs are also using the same RPi USB port for power.

m8o

Forum Donor
I'll mention another feather in a RPi4's cap...

That is that it will reliably work powering both a DAC HAT + pretty much every USB3 2.5" HD directly (i.e. a hd without it's own power supply nor using a powered usb hub). Caveat being you must use a power supply rated at something like 5.25V & 3.5A; to ensure you dont get the under voltage message on boot or yellow lightning bolt if it manages to boot. But if you want to create a minimal Volumio player with a DAC HAT getting its music from a local HD, you're set!

A bit off topic, but related. Something I have been doing for friends now is setting up a Music NAS running OMV (Open Media Vault). Just need a RPi4, favorite fanless heat dissipating metal case, 1 or 2TB 2.5" drive (or whatever needed for the music library size), slightly more powerful power supply than a standard RPi4 ps (but doesn't need as much power as when you also use a DAC HAT), super easy to setup and config OMV, and you're set! I'm on my third one now.

TheWalkman

I have a couple of RPi 3A+ connected via USB to D10s, E30 DACs.
Don't have any issue regarding SQ.
All those DACs are also using the same RPi USB port for power.

So here's my collection of Pi based music servers.

I'm running Volumio with a 64gb high endurance card in each, with my entire music collection stored on the cards (250+ CDs).

All of these units work well.

I'm reading the comments about problems with Pi 3 USB issues and people bumping their systems to Pi 4's and I just can't imagine why this is necessary. I have a Pi 4 available but just don't see the need to use it as a streamer. The audio quality on all of these units is fantastic.

One issue I did have with the PiZeros was that when trying to add new mp3 files to my SD Cards (mounting them from my laptop as an smb share and dragging the files to the, "internal" partition) I was getting an error that I was out of space, despite the fact that I showed nearly 30gb free. Supposedly, the latest repo of Raspian would automatically resize the partition of the SD card on first boot but for some reason this didn't happen.

This error only occurred on the Pi Zeros.

I never received an adequate explanation why this didn't work. Ultimately, I jumped through some hoops (using ssh to install raspi-config, advanced operations, resizing the partition) and now I have access to the entire 64 gigs of memory available and I can simply rip a new CD and drag the new music folder to the PiZero over my network. I'm guessing a 64gb SC card would easily hold 500 CDs worth of music.

Some people has freaked out that having the system and music on the internal SD card might wear out the card. Who cares? That's why I used a high endurance card which are rated at 5000 hours of continuous use and now selling for about $1). If I wear the card out - which I doubt I will - I have 5 backups on the other Pi's so I'll buy a new card and copy an image to the new card. No big deal.

On top of listening to my music collection, with this configuration, I can stream Spotify, Pandora, Tune-in, etc. and any of these units act as AirPlay nodes. I can also stream sound stream from my phone or tablet.

I must confess, watching a certain, "HB" YouTuber about how absolutely terrible the Pi's were with a cheap power supply I upgraded the Pi 3 to a fancy, switched power supply (rather than a $5 three amp wall wart). I'll be damned if I can hear any difference (improvement) over any of the others streamers. My feelings: $90 wasted. Save your cash.

Other thoughts: I love the Zero form factor. They are tiny, taking no space, are energy efficient and look really cool. The speed is quite adequate. Compared to the Pi 3 streamers, Zeros are a little slow but once you start a new stream and the music/ soundtrack has buffered, you really won't notice the speed difference again.

The 3A+ looks really cool, sounds great and is very fast. Too, it has a 5 ghz wi-fi radio so songs load very quickly when streaming from radio stations, Spotify, etc.

The 3+ Hifi Berry works great for me when I use it.

I can't tell any difference in sound fidelity between the units. They all sound great.

Wishlist: the Pi Foundation offers a 2 ghz Pi Zero and a sale on a lifetime Volumio passes.....

Bottom line: Get any model Pi streamer and I'm betting you'll really be impressed. Enjoy!

My collection of Pi Streamers:

(I'm mainly using the Pi Zero Allo, middle front, with RCA cables.)

(left front to right, rear)

Front
Pi Zero W w. Hifi Berry DAC + Zero
Pi Zero W w. Allo Mini Boss
Pi 3B+ Hifi Berry DAC +

Rear
Pi Zero W w. JustBoom Digi Zero Phat with S/PDIF optical output (note: ethernet connection)
Pi Zero W w. Apple Dongle
Pi 3 A+ w. Apple Dongle

Pis.jpeg

Last edited:

JonP

...i Will buy rpi4.

Heh... As usual, get here half a day late, and dozens of not pages of comments will precede you..

Many others have already stated my thoughts, but briefly, keep your 3b+ for the music, save the power for the games and such, where it might be needed.

I also have used a 3b+ (and a while back, a 1b) with a few USB dacs... and dont get cracks and pops, at least running Moode. I think I remember some of that on the 1b, but flipping the "USB2 fix" button in earlier Moode fixed that. Now, I dont have to anymore.

Worry less, listen more...

And for all those talking about potential differences between how the cpu noise or the type of USB connection will affect the sound... theres a website with a guy who tests such things for measurable effects, you should check him out, or request such tests.... :p

0bs3rv3r

I also have used a 3b+ (and a while back, a 1b) with a few USB dacs... and dont get cracks and pops, at least running Moode.

I also ran a 3b+ into various USB DACs. I used moOde and Volumio. NEVER had any pops and clicks. I use a rPi 4 now, and have no heat problems (using passive case heat sinking - no fan)

mikeburns

I'll mention another feather in a RPi4's cap...

That is that it will reliably work powering both a DAC HAT + pretty much every USB3 2.5" HD directly (i.e. a hd without it's own power supply nor using a powered usb hub). Caveat being you must use a power supply rated at something like 5.25V & 3.5A; to ensure you dont get the under voltage message on boot or yellow lightning bolt if it manages to boot. But if you want to create a minimal Volumio player with a DAC HAT getting its music from a local HD, you're set!

A bit off topic, but related. Something I have been doing for friends now is setting up a Music NAS running OMV (Open Media Vault). Just need a RPi4, favorite fanless heat dissipating metal case, 1 or 2TB 2.5" drive (or whatever needed for the music library size), slightly more powerful power supply than a standard RPi4 ps (but doesn't need as much power as when you also use a DAC HAT), super easy to setup and config OMV, and you're set! I'm on my third one now.

I am thinking of doing exactly this in the future. I will definitely use your explanation as a starting point!

Reactions: m8o

m8o

Forum Donor
I am thinking of doing exactly this in the future. I will definitely use your explanation as a starting point!
I just want to add when I do this setup, if I use a 7" screen & screen case for Volumio, I power that with it's own nominal (5V 2A) power supply. I never use a screen with OMV tho (as was probably assumed).

Salparadise

First post. I can't tell you how happy I am to have found this thread/forum –– I've been wanting to set up a Rasberry Pi streamer and ended up discouraged by the audiophile videos on youtube instructing that the DigiOne Signature Hat and expensive power sources were necessary for quality sound. The bill runs up quick and gets into the range of the lower end commercial streaming boxes, which seem unnecessarily expensive for what they do. This is exactly what I want. I'm ready to order, maybe today.

I'm hoping some of you with knowledge and experience will answer a few questions and keep me out of trouble. I have never seen a Rpi, and I'm not an IT guy, although I have experience with computers (Macs, design/photography) and making stuff (built my 2A3 amp from a Bottlehead kit). I will be connecting to a Denafrips Aries II DAC, which does have a USB input.

I want a straightforward network streamer (wifi/bluetooth) that can stream Tidal (or other services), internet radio, and access a USB drive for ripped CDs and downloads. If I can access the USB drive through the device that would be great, but not a deal breaker if I have to move it to the computer to add files. I'm not opposed to a NAS but if it adds much expense and complexity I'd be fine with a USB . My router is in another room, so I'd prefer to use wifi to connect vs. ethernet. I want a good, smooth interface via iOS app. Volumio has gone subscription, which I don't like, but will tolerate if there aren't better [quality] alternatives.

I'm thinking I should get the Rpi 4 because of the isolated USB ports. I know some say that it doesn't matter, but I think the cleaner signal is worth the cost, plus more robust all around. Do I need to add something to make it work with wifi or is that built in?

Rpi 4
Heat sink case (brand, model?)
wifi dongle (or not)
micro SD card (16GB?)
500GB or 1TB USB drive (brand?)
Power supply with extra umph (brand?)
Software (Volumio, free, or pay once alternative)

Am I missing anything? Thanks for any insights, suggestions, corrections!

m8o

Forum Donor
Don't have time to read all and answer. But as soon as I saw "wifi dongle" I had to respond. Absolutely unnecessary w/the rpi4. Only need for things like an old rpi one or two. (I made the same mistake when I bought my first RPi board. I've bought over a dozen now). Here is a great resource for how each hardware is spec'd:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/faqs/#hardware

Also, if you plan to use a USB3 spinning drive HD (which usually require more power that a ssd) and a HAT, go with this PS:

18W, 5.25V, 3.5A power supply can power all of it at once.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07TW4Q693

(tho you can buy it from anywhere. I like to use Amazon. Usually great prices. But all the sellers there seem sell the RPi boards with a markup for some reason; most expensive place to get RPi 3 B+ boards for some reason)

Pep2020

Don't have time to read all and answer. But as soon as I saw "wifi dongle" I had to respond. Absolutely unnecessary w/the rpi4. Only need for things like an old rpi one or two. (I made the same mistake when I bought my first RPi board. I've bought over a dozen now). Here is a great resource for how each hardware is spec'd:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/faqs/#hardware

Also, if you plan to use a USB3 spinning drive HD (which usually require more power that a ssd) and a HAT, go with this PS:

18W, 5.25V, 3.5A power supply can power all of it at once.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07TW4Q693

(tho you can buy it from anywhere. I like to use Amazon. Usually great prices. But all the sellers there seem sell the RPi boards with a markup for some reason; most expensive place to get RPi 3 B+ boards for some reason)

Disagree regarding WiFi dongle for RPi4. Onboard WiFi with metal case was poor for me. WiFi dongle much better.

https://www.martinrowan.co.uk/2019/08/wifi-signal-strength-with-raspberry-pi-4-cases/

Top Bottom