• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A Raspberry Pi as a music server

GeorgeWalk

I wish people would stop spreading that rubbish :facepalm: The Pi <=3 does have a potential issue with pops on the USB audio. It's NOT caused by using the ethernet connection, although it can make it worse / more likely. The software you're using makes a big difference to how likely you are to run into it. PiCorePlayer doesn't trigger it at all in my experience, while Volumio can, and BruteFIR is a reliable trigger for me. Pin brutefir to a single cpu core and it stops. You can check out the Raspbian kernel bug report for the technical details - in short it's weird and the exact cause hasn't been found - indeed there are indications that there's actually more than one cause with the same symptom.

This^

anon2k2

Forum Donor
The only problem I've had with Rpi as a music streamer is from being too aggressive in underclocking the CPU. That certainly was a recipe for dropouts.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I wish someone would explain/ rationalize / pontificate on how a digital (USB) stream can have jitter. Doesn’t make sense at all. An analog music stream coming off a DAC might present jitter but it seems the USB stream is either intact or not (and if it isn’t intact the digital data is resent TO the DAC.)

I listened to a certain Youtuber named Hans X who goes on and on about jitter and cheap power supplies. I bought an expensive, switched power supply ($90) for a Pi streamer and my ears can’t hear one iota of difference between that and the same streamer with a $5 supply.

Perhaps equipping my streamer with $500 RCA virgin copper, Mystery cables would make this jitter more apparent..... /s
Short version: if the DAC sounds or measures significantly differently with any in-spec source or power supply it's in indication that the designer hasn't done a good job, and I'd be looking for a better designed DAC not a change of source or power supply. Note that 'sounds' means with the usual controls to avoid your mind playing tricks.

Jitter is the variation in the timing of the sample data. If it is still present when the samples are converted from digital to analog there will be 'jitter artifacts' that show up in the analog output. The jitter tests here are looking for the presence of these artifacts in the output of the DAC when fed a specific test signal. With SPDIF and toslink the source defines the clock rate, and data is sent in a continuous sequence with a greater or lesser amount of jitter. In this case a good DAC will use various processing methods to remove the jitter before conversion. For USB it is somewhat different - the data is split into chunks which are sent to the DAC at intervals and buffered before being sent internally to the converter at a clock rate generated inside the DAC. Any jitter here is created inside the DAC. Most DACs tested here show good jitter rejection on all inputs, so they're pretty much unaffected by the quality of the source so long as it's within spec. I think archimago did some tests at the DAC output with a variety of sources to demonstrate this. Every so often there's one that measures badly on one or all inputs, and they may be audibly different depending on the source.

Power supplies are separate issue entirely. Most desktop DACs have multiple regulators and filters internally. If they're fed from a single supply (usb or barrel connector) then one of the internal regulators is probably a switching one to generate a -ve voltage rail for the output stage. For the most part if they've been well designed then they'll measure the same with the power supply they came with, or any other decent power supply. Designers are well aware of the noise on USB power rails, and should design accordingly. Archimago did some testing of noise on various USB ports, and the effect, if any, that this had on the DAC output. Note the reference to decent power supply though - there are power supplies on the market that shouldn't be (safety, RFI issues etc.), and they aren't always easy to spot. Dongle-style DACs are a bit different - they may not have the space for good regulation or filtering, and can be more sensitive to USB power variations.

I suspect grounding issues (loops, leakage currents) may be responsible for audible noise that's misattributed to other things. Changing a power supply might inadvertently fix this in some cases.

Jitter is to do with variation in time between data packets arriving. This can lead to packet loss. If you had a problem with it, you'd know about it (choppy audio etc.).
Not unless someone's redefined it while I wasn't looking. It sounds like you're talking about an interrupt latency problem in the computer - where the computer takes too long to respond when the DAC requests the next chunk of audio data, and the DAC runs out of buffered data before it gets delivered.

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Not unless someone's redefined it while I wasn't looking. It sounds like you're talking about an interrupt latency problem in the computer - where the computer takes too long to respond when the DAC requests the next chunk of audio data, and the DAC runs out of buffered data before it gets delivered.
I was. Jitter as the fluctuation of latency over time.

Anto102

I'm planning to setup a Pi4 to use like this:

Pi 4 --> USB cable --> SMSL SU-9 --> Schiit Magni Heresy --> Beyerdinamic DT880

1) Are 2GB of ram enough on the Raspberry?
2) Is volumio the best to install on this setup or would you recommend something else (possibly free)?

Sukie

Forum Donor

2) Is volumio the best to install on this setup or would you recommend something else (possibly free)?
1) 2GB of RAM is definitely enough. Running an RPi4 as a streamer doesn't require too much memory.

2) What are you wanting to stream? If you're using a streaming service then let me know which one(s) and I can advise. You can normally avoid paying the MyVolumio subscription costs if you set the RPi up as a UPnP renderer (I use Moode for this). This requires the use of 3rd party software on your phone/tablet (I use Bubble UPnP). If you want to avoid using 3rd party software then MyVolumio (paid subscription) is a good bet.

As I say, let me know what you're streaming and I (and others) can advise further.

Anto102

1) 2GB of RAM is definitely enough. Running an RPi4 as a streamer doesn't require too much memory.

2) What are you wanting to stream? If you're using a streaming service then let me know which one(s) and I can advise. You can normally avoid paying the MyVolumio subscription costs if you set the RPi up as a UPnP renderer (I use Moode for this). This requires the use of 3rd party software on your phone/tablet (I use Bubble UPnP). If you want to avoid using 3rd party software then MyVolumio (paid subscription) is a good bet.

As I say, let me know what you're streaming and I (and others) can advise further.

Sorry, forget to mention on OP

I'll use it to stream music from my Synology NAS, FLACs for the majority

I was looking at the free version of Volumio

Sukie

Forum Donor
Sorry, forget to mention on OP

I'll use it to stream music from my Synology NAS, FLACs for the majority

I was looking at the free version of Volumio
The free version of Volumio would be fine, as would Moode. I can only really comment on those 2 as I've not used any others. Both are easy to set up.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor

I second the '2GB is plenty' answer - they run on earlier Pi models which have less.

There are loads of audio player images for the Pi, each with strengths and weaknesses that are as much about your requirements and personal preference as they are technical. Most of them are free, so you can try them and see which suits you best. I'd go for PiCorePlayer - it's up to you whether you run LogitechMediaServer on the Pi (installed via PiCorePlayer's web interface) or on your Synology - I gather Synology have recently dropped their packaged version, but 3rd party packages are available. Others include Moode, Rune, Max2Play, GentooPlayer etc. I'm not sure whether HifiberryOS will work with USB, or if it's limited to their hats.

Last edited:

Pep2020

I actually use Volumio and then the LMS and Squeezelite player plugins. Easier to install and you can still make use of other Volumio plugins. And it supports my WiFi dongle out-of-the-box. Moode is good, but if you are controlling from a mobile phone you'll need a 3rd party app like bubbleupnp which is ok, but doesn't order my tracks properly. The squeeze controller app is really good. Much better imho.

TheWalkman

I agree with some of the others: a Pi4 is an overkill.

I have several Volumio streamers built on Pi Zeros. See post #83 and 86 in this thread. They are a little slow but work. The form factor is the really fun part. These things are amazingly small.

My current. “favorite” build is a Pi 3A+ with Volumio, a 64 gb internal sd card (which stores my music library) and an Apple dongle / DAC which got great reviews here. See post #132 in this thread. This build is snappy, sounds great and is unobtrusive, though the red LED is a bit obnoxious at night.

As far as the Pi 4 goes it will work, but by bad analogy, you can drive a Porsche Carrera to the store to get a gallon of milk, but the VW will get you there just as quickly.

Sukie

Forum Donor
I agree with some of the others: a Pi4 is an overkill.
There is the improved USB functionality on the RPi4. I know that the problem on previous models is often overstated and depends on a number of factors. But the 2GB RPi4 is so cheap it's as easy to go with this as with anything.

Forgot to mention - don't forget the pleasure of choosing a case! Are you bright and breezy or grey and dull? (I'm afraid I'm the latter - Flirc case"!)

Aldoszx

You can use also piCorePlayer or RopieeeXL and install LMS on NAS.
That can be useful if you will want to extend on the future to a multi-room audio system.

Anto102

There is the improved USB functionality on the RPi4. I know that the problem on previous models is often overstated and depends on a number of factors. But the 2GB RPi4 is so cheap it's as easy to go with this as with anything.

Forgot to mention - don't forget the pleasure of choosing a case! Are you bright and breezy or grey and dull? (I'm afraid I'm the latter - Flirc case"!)

yeah, i really like the Flirc but costs 3x the official case, so i'll go for the last one (it will be hidden, so not a big deal)

Aldoszx

yeah, i really like the Flirc but costs 3x the official case, so i'll go for the last one (it will be hidden, so not a big deal)
Take care of the fact that RPi4 gets hot easily without proper cooling and can go into throttling !
You can try to under-clock it but even so...
You can try this heatskin.

GeorgeWalk

1) 2 GGB is fine.
2) I used to use Volumio. But, I found it somewhat buggy and I had to reboot it every couple of days (screen freeze, unable to connect to Radio Paradise or other services,..) I now use piCorePlayer. I don't have to reboot and I like Squeezelite and LMS. I never have to reboot it. And it is free.

I now use this case, exclusively. https://www.argon40.com/argon-one-raspberry-pi-4-case.html

Thalis

I have been using MoOde since I got the RPi3B+ and have not rebooted since. Only need to rescan the IP as I restart my router once a week... and need to restart MPD and the UPNP renderer just to be sure.

Have to say MoOde is really excellent.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Take care of the fact that RPi4 gets hot easily without proper cooling and can go into throttling !
I have one of those and it works well, but in my experience the audio players are fine even when throttled, and that was before the power management improvements. Keeping things cool is nice, but not strictly necessary unless you're doing something more cpu intensive.

Thalis

I use this simple "enclosure" so not worried about heat at all

1604066132166.png

Sukie

Forum Donor
I have one of those and it works well, but in my experience the audio players are fine even when throttled, and that was before the power management improvements. Keeping things cool is nice, but not strictly necessary unless you're doing something more cpu intensive.
Agreed. I have my preferred case for aesthetic reasons primarily.

Top Bottom