• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Beginner Question, manufactured streamer vs Raspberry Pi for my purpose.

djk1000

Hi all, I hope you don't mind me asking a beginner question!

I'm starting on this journey and I'm about to purchase headphones (HD560S) and a DAC/headphone amp (Zen DAC V2). I'd like to use Tidal and send a lossless digital signal to the DAC from a streamer.

The question is, for this simple single purpose will there be a difference between using a Raspberry Pi or other mini PC running something like Volumio with Tidal Connect (for under $100) vs buying a streamer (much more expensive)?

Thanks,

D

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
Probably not, soundwise. A PI will be an opportunity to learn and to move on from there. Or stay with the PI, depending on learnings.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Audible difference? No
Feature or asthetics? Yes, absolutely

OP
D

djk1000

Thanks for the answers, I'll go with the Pi! I'm only concerned about a reliable lossless signal so I don't have to think about that part of the setup for now, I can always upgrade in the future.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

I'm starting on this journey and I'm about to purchase headphones (HD560S) and a DAC/headphone amp (Zen DAC V2). I'd like to use Tidal and send a lossless digital signal to the DAC from a streamer.

The question is, for this simple single purpose will there be a difference between using a Raspberry Pi or other mini PC running something like Volumio with Tidal Connect (for under $100) vs buying a streamer (much more expensive)?

Thanks,

D
Buy a wiim mini or pro (can use Connect). Far less faff than a pi and far less cost than what you were thinking of for a streamer.

If you wanted the device to do PEQ the pi may still be the best option.

I use Raspberry Pi4 myself running Moode Audio. My streaming provider is Spotify so this works perfectly with Spotify Connect. As there is no open source Tidal implementation I would recommend to go for Wiim Pro/Plus. You don't want to spend even more for Volumio just to get Tidal working.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Thanks,

D

There's a thread about building Pi based touch streamers, my effort is here (but you should read from the 1st post): https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...coreplayer-streamer.42228/page-2#post-1495871

I actually use this in my garage where it's connected to old, but reasonable sounding, Logitech soundbar via a Hidiz S3 USB 'dongle' DAC/Amp.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There's no getting around the small investment in time it takes to build a Pi streamer, but after that you can basically forget it, and it sounds the same, and you have some extra money in your pocket.

(edited: I wrote "better" instead of "the same". Yikes)

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Depends on how hands on/ techie you are. I'm not... so I have a WiiM mini and I'm very happy
(Edit - approx £90 GBP)

Snoopy

Major Contributor
A raspberry pi 4 streamer could always be reused for something else. So its a nice option as streamer and if you are not happy with it you could just use it for something else.

There is nice stuff you can do with a raspberry pi.

I use one for RoopieXL as roon and Airplay endpoint. And it works exactly the same as a way more professional solution

walter-

I am thinking about a similar setup, Tidal and either an external or HAT DAC. In my case streaming to active monitors, instead. Additionally I want to use DRC (digital room correction):

Since I do not have a Pi (yet?), I just tried to install a part of the software on a Linux PC to be able to control Tidal streaming remotely. It worked with these instructions:
Plex Server for Ubuntu: https://linux.how2shout.com/install-and-setup-plex-media-server-on-ubuntu-22-04-lts/
Tidal for Plex: https://support.tidal.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002069037-Plex
Plex HTPC for Ubuntu (to be able to remote control Plex from Android tablet): https://snapcraft.io/plex-htpc
Installed the Plexamp app on a tablet to remote control Plex HTPC.

If they get the PEQ working for DRC (filters per channel, enough filters, ...) a WiiM could be a Pi alternative for me. Or the mentioned Linux PC.

OP
D

djk1000

I've gone down a rabbit hole on this, with thanks to those who advised me here!

I'm going with WiiM Pro, the mini would do me but the Pro keeps more options open for the future and I believe it has parametric EQ built in which is helpful for me as I have slight hearing damage in one ear.

I'm also going to change the stack to Topping E50 and L50 which I believe is good value and again gives me additional options in the future (I might add a Topping PA5 when I start to look at some speakers for my desk and the PA5 looks good with the E50 & L50, the IFI DAC V2 was also USB only).

Finally, I'm sticking with the 560s but might upgrade the earpads and cable.

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
Yeah, sounds like you can at least wait on the PA5 II and see if they have significantly improved its reliability. The fail rate on that among members here was pretty amazing per the poll results in that thread...

Top Bottom