• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

A DC Blocker to help stop transformer HUM

Colin James Wonfor

Technical Expert
The Wonf
Often the hum is due to DC on the AC causing saturation in the core of the transformer, more often found in toroidal.
This cct works and is cheap.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hi Colin. Pretty clever!

Am I right that it takes out 3 times 0.6 volts worth of DC offset in either direction due to diode drop? Is the typical DC offset then below this on mains?

Are D1 and D6 there to limit the voltage across the caps?

RayDunzl

Major Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Put it in a nice wooden box and I know where you can sell it for $4,995

Add a couple of Carbon Fiber Outlets and I think $7,995 is not out of the question.

RayDunzl

Major Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I understand the diode part of the circuit, but not the capacitor part.

What's going on there?

fas42

Major Contributor
Don't want to take too much away from Colin, but a rundown of the mechanism is here: http://sound.whsites.net/articles/xfmr-dc.htm. I actually put one of these together for a systems some years ago, with some cheap electro's; never did an exhaustive test of how beneficial it was, but it didn't appear to hurt the sound.

Colin James Wonfor

Technical Expert
The Wonf
Hi Colin. Pretty clever!

Am I right that it takes out 3 times 0.6 volts worth of DC offset in either direction due to diode drop? Is the typical DC offset then below this on mains?

Are D1 and D6 there to limit the voltage across the caps?
Anti reverse diodes that is all.

Saw this in my T+A old R-series 650W power amp in front of the toroidal transformer as well - 2 x 2 diodes in series (antiparallel) in parallel to 2 x 2200uF/18V in series (reverse connected). Seems to work, no hum audible, despite massive PV installation around here, generating strange current waveforms...

The capacitors must to be low ESR with high ripple current. I recomand C=10.000uF/25v

sergeauckland

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Patreon Donor
Don't want to take too much away from Colin, but a rundown of the mechanism is here: http://sound.whsites.net/articles/xfmr-dc.htm. I actually put one of these together for a systems some years ago, with some cheap electro's; never did an exhaustive test of how beneficial it was, but it didn't appear to hurt the sound.
That's the one I built, as having three large toroidal transformers in three power amps, I wanted to avoid potential problems with DC on the mains.

I put the DC blocker in the neutral line rather than the live, just to reduce the voltage difference between the capacitor cases and the well earthed metal box. The circuit works identically whether in the live or neutral line.

S.

The capacitors must to be low ESR with high ripple current. I recomand C=10.000uF/25v
Even though large capacitance may be better at higher currents (low ESR speaks for itself), the dimensioning in the T+A case is a different one. The amp consumes about 40W in the idle state (some class AB operating point), probably some 200mArms (primary; real part). For this "low" current the cap voltage stays below the 1.3V "clipping voltage" of the diodes, thus avoiding any DC-generated hum. When the amp is cranked up, the voltage at the caps is limited by the flow voltage of the diodes. In this case only a limited DC rejection takes place, but nobody will notice it...