• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A Call For Humor!

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The Tesla "dog mode" was not advertised in the early years, seeing dog inside one at 90F temperatures, I stormed into CVS and demanded that they announce in their PA system that the Tesla owner left dog in car. A lady rushed over and told us about the Tesla's 'dog-mode'.
202303_TeslaDogMode.jpg

Embarrassing? No!
Awkward? Maybe!
Educational? Yes!:)

thegeton

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
rodrigues_male-female.jpg

Last edited:

nobodynoz

. . . Bigger than a Yard!
Imperial is good for people with 12 fingers and three feet.
For the rest of us, specially in 20th century (err sorry 21st century) metric is easier, more logical, more scientific, more ....
The NASA uses the metric system...

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I don't have a dislike for metric, but I have to convert the bigger numbers to imperial in most cases to make sense of what I'm reading.

Random thoughts after flying a metric sailplane last weekend:

1597 meters altitude = somewhere around 4600 feet I guess, close to a mile! I'm wrong, it's 5239.5 feet which all but is a mile!

142km/hr = oh, maybe 85mph. 88.2mph is the answer, I wasn't far off, but still had to convert for it to "mean something".

nobodynoz

By the way, you should not listen a long time to your hifi with the sound above 85db... it's risky for your hearing. You won't loose it but you can get tinnitus... a permanent noise in your hears days and nights forever.

jkasch

Forum Donor
While I appreciate the mathematical ease inherent to metric, it has one shortcoming compared to imperial: thirds. I can exactly determine one-third of a foot, but one-third of a meter goes on to infinity.
Eventually, you get to close enough.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
While I appreciate the mathematical ease inherent to metric, it has one shortcoming compared to imperial: thirds. I can exactly determine one-third of a foot, but one-third of a meter goes on to infinity.
Some think of them as the "imperial: tUrds"!
Nothing ever comes good of fractions.
I am 90% base10-person, 2/25th times Hex-person and 19/1000 times I am forced to think in fractions...

Holmz

Major Contributor
1/3 meter, is pretty much a foot and 2”.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the original Hubble mis-alignment problem was due to the forgotten conversion when some engineering data was crossing the Atlantic. :oops:

-Matt-

Conversely, the vast majority of metric measurement, eg bolts and screw sizes are easily specified in whole units of mm, whilst under the imperial system they nearly all require fractions of an inch. I consider this a far more egregious shortcoming.

Last edited:

DonR

Major Contributor
Exactly... just like a 3rd of an inch... oh wait.

Top Bottom