• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NPDT Process - Seriously?

Victor Martell

Hello,

So over at the Hoffman forum, just learned about this and I just knew I had to share it here - couldn't find any references so is incredible that nobody had noticed before. I am happy to be the first to share this MIRACULOUS (hehe - tongue in cheek) technology!

There is this gem

As per url above:

I cannot elaborate more on that without revealing anything. Let me say this at this point: I am not willing to share my discoveries, the knowledge, only the "fruits" that come out of it. So I will try to be as vague as I can in regards to what NPDT Process© does and how. Please respect that.

Wow - only 4300 euros for DSOTM - SERIOUS AUDIOPHILES ONLY!

:D

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
1690411162670.png

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Should we consider it as just another candidate for the snake-oil... pending the NPD's secret sauce details?

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is he a 432er? How clever to charge 4300 Euros so as to not give away the secret.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Smells like snake oil up in here.

Punter

The Hoffman members are having a good time tipping a bucket on it. Plenty of snake oil detectors on that forum :)

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It gets worse:

Digital music on the other hand is a straight up cloning process where the digital file serves as a detailed guide on how the digital-to-analog converter (DAC) should construct the electrical signal from scratch.
One can easily realize how abnormal cloning sounds if he brings it to human cloning territory, for instance. Even the most analytical directions on how to do it still does not guarantee a natural result.
:facepalm:

The problem has been all along that music experts and engineers never managed to figure out what was wrong with the "clone" music.
Eh… nothing?

He then concedes that the sampling theorem is correct, and then immediately states that there is still something wrong:

A CD contains all the musical information we need BUT not without the following 2 major FLAWS:
1) NOISE: Music information is mixed with noise and as a result a new "hybrid" sound is created.

2) OUT OF TUNE: Music is literally out of tune, off key.
Obviously not a single shred of evidence is given for any of this.

It’s just pure and total nonsense :facepalm:

The FAQ is also hilarious:

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Obviously not a single shred of evidence is given for any of this.

It’s just pure and total nonsense

There were some very early 14/16 bit PCM recordings which were slightly off key when pressed to CD. Sampled at 44.056kHz and not SRC to 44.1kHz, just sped up. I can't remember the exact details- I used to know. It was linear digital multitrack recorders IIRC. Classical recordings.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
There were some very early 14/16 bit PCM recordings which were slightly off key when pressed to CD. Sampled at 44.056kHz and not SRC to 44.1kHz, just sped up. I can't remember the exact details- I used to know. It was linear digital multitrack recorders IIRC. Classical recordings.
He’s not selling any of these though ;)

But even if we acknowledge everything he says, I don’t see how it remotely justifies the price…

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wonder how exact the good old 2 track and multitrack machines used during analog sessions where :)
I mean if would try to adjust, tuesdays drum track can be off in the opposite direktion as todays guidar track :)

Last edited:

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Question 3: But doesn't Youtube compress? Doesn't that lower the audio quality/fidelity?

Answer: Yes and no. Yes it compresses, no it does not necessarily lower the quality/fidelity. Necessarily being the key word here. This is part of a finding of mine that of course I plan not to share.

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

You work in the music business for SO long, an EXPERT, and you cannot INSTANTLY recognize the quality of NPDT-processed music, while at the same time casual people not even related to the music industry can?

It seems like YOU are the fraud here ;)

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

I listened to one of the youtube samples and compared it to the same track on Spotify. It sounds like maybe a little bass boost happened and then the treble met with an unfortunate accident.

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
That strange sample rate is a product of a video frame rate change, like converting a 30fps video to a 29.97 fps rate. Changing frame rates is called a pull up/down.
"When you see strange sample rates such as 44.01, 44.056, 47.952, etc., it is an indication that a Pull Up or Pull Down process has been used."
There are digital audio recorders/players that can sync to a video sync signal ("house black" in video facilities). Changing that signal (changing frame rates) changes the audio sample rate so the audio stays in sync with the video. If it happened in music they must have been using the wrong sync signal, music videos another story.

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So less than 0.1% - my perfect pitch ain't that perfect. :D

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If anyone wants to try to hear a .1% pitch change. And some other handy test signals.
I couldn't obviously hear a 0.25% change - and that was with quick switching. In order for a sample frequency mismatch to be a problem, someone with perfect pitch (clearly not me) would have to be able to detect it was off - without a reference version to compare to.

Top Bottom