• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

7hz Salnotes Zero - the "other" Zero

alumnicesar

I do not understand why the preference score is so imporant to you. My impression is that you overrate it a lot.

I am not denying that the Harman target is a scientific measurement, but that doesnt mean that it will suit your personal taste perfectly.
The In-Ear headphone which is as close as possible to the harman target is not necessarily the one that you will like most.
I'm aware. But since it is a scientific score, it is great to know what the data says
If you are interested in the highest possible preference score, you probably should buy the "Truthear Nova".
It hits the harman target almost exactly, so its preference score will be very high, probably above 90.
i agree, the nova measure very well. but $150 isn't worth it to me when <$50 iems get close enough

khaytsus

I've recently picked up a pair of these for giggles based on a few folks telling me to check them out, I couldn't review them any better than anyone else here but basically anemic bass and harsh in the 13k region, just like everyone else has said. I prefer a neutral sound so the bass is fine, I did have to calm them down with EQ on the harshness though, all in all, I'm not mad for $23 honestly. I don't exactly have a pile of expensive headphones, but I do have Panasonic HJE900's and AKG 545's for some comparison (and then a pile of lesser stuff). I do appreciate the EQ suggestions peppered through this thread as well as the confirmation on what my ears were saying, good stuff.

Anyway, I do have a question. I see folks saying the metal back plate loosens, rattles, or just entirely comes off. I have not had this issue, but, does anyone know if this plate plays any functional part in the audio reproduction? I think I would be tempted to just leave them off entirely unless they are part of the overall functional design, not including aesthetics.

SteveL

Haven't had an issue with the back plates on mine in months of daily use, but yes they're purely decorative and if they come off you could just leave them off if you prefer.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
More pictures below.

mc.god

Ok, 10mm driver again, so not the Sonus DD.

mc.god

SteveL

The new 7Hz Sonus hybrid is on sale for $48.59 at Amazon right now. I am trying really hard not to pull the trigger because I truly enjoy my Zeros and I want to enjoy music rather than collecting IEMs. ;)

mc.god

The new 7Hz Sonus hybrid is on sale for $48.59 at Amazon right now. I am trying really hard not to pull the trigger because I truly enjoy my Zeros and I want to enjoy music rather than collecting IEMs. ;)
I'm listening to the Sonus for over a month now and i'm absolutely delighted by it, it's tuning matches my preference perfectly, for that price it's a steal (paid mine 70€)
P. S.
I'm a lover of the Zero too.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm listening to the Sonus for over a month now and i'm absolutely delighted by it, it's tuning matches my preference perfectly, for that price it's a steal (paid mine 70€)
P. S.
I'm a lover of the Zero too.
Sonus looks quite big physically on photos. Is it?

mc.god

Sonus looks quite big physically on photos. Is it?

They are a bit "fat", don't stay flush with your ears, but other size are normal, here a comparison with my other iems:

IMG20231120214717.jpg

IMG20231120214819.jpg

IMG20231120214856.jpg

IMG20231120214959.jpg

Anyway they fit perfectly for me, I need big tips (12,8mm-13mm) like for any other iem, nozzle is same size of the Zero (55mm the body, 63 mm the flange) and with the right angle, that for me is the main factor with your specific ear canal to get seal. For example I couldn't get proper seal with Hexa and had to return it, mostly for the nozzle angle, you can't know until you try, so I only buy iem where I can easily return them.
Talking about fit, another thing i love about 7Hz iems, not noted by many, is the angle of the 2 pin connector. As you can see Zero and Sonus have inward angled connectors, it makes the ear-hooks of the cable point to your head instead of going down vertical, helping stability and reducing stethoscope effect.
Hope this can help.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Ordered them from Linsoul, they have an extra promotion of £6 discount if you find 3 treasure chests (took a couple of minute/3 pages of browsing) so for £18 they’ve got to be worth a try, I like the look of the measurements on Hawaii Bad Boy review below. Recently bought a Hiby R3 ii to try out “dap life” for a change from phone/apple dongle so they’ll be a cheap novelty pairing together.

Somafunk

Major Contributor

I thought the original had a flat and uninvolving sound for my choice of electronic music so this should fit my tastes as I have liked other iem's that have followed HBB's target, but thank you for your valuable contribution and considered criticism, certainly gave me much to think about..........alas not about the actual iem in question.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
The comments about original zero are laughable and an opinion only.

Are you always this obtuse when others express a subjective opinion such as I did above by saying “ I thought the original zero was flat”, it’s my personal opinion so why is it laughable?, you like the og zero so crack on.

muza_1

The laughable part is the one about the dynamic driver against the planar magnetic. Reviewers love trying to make nonsense sound logical to the lay person, well they have to keep the ball rolling I guess.

Anyway I ordered one just out of curiosity, I really like the the Zero:RED (w/2dB bass boost) but the design* was causing me severe tinnitus flair-ups, as for the 7hz Zero OG I did not like it, too bright and lacks low-end for me, I also ordered both KZ Castor, lets see how this ones compare for half the price.

*I tried some others with similar design in which the sound form the drivers is carried in tubes to the base of the nuzzle, they were a no go for me (especially the ones with small diameter bass tube), they were causing some kind of resonance(s) according to the doctor. Now I am limited to single driver sets or multi driver with no tubes.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Zero 2 now released... and bought, of course.

For now exclusively on Linsoul.

SteveL

I think it's too bad they seem to have "fixed" the tuning- the OG is exactly what I like (perhaps because I'm a classical music listener). EQ can take care of that, of course.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Notice how Crinacle's choice of words is very precise: he did not criticize the original tuning, his preference, but rather, he adapted the tuning to what the market wanted.

"Some people felt like it [bass] was all right but many people complained that it was a little bit too little. And yes I've heard your feedback I've taken them into account, after all the kind of people who would buy a $20 IEM are going to be the kind of people who would expect a lot more bass out of their purchase. And so for the Zero 2 I've decided to go for much more mainstream "bassy sound", increasing the bass response by about 3 to 4 dB over the original."

"Overall the Zero 2 compared to the Zero 1 is going to be a slightly down tilted version, more "bassy", less "trebly", but at the same time because of the improvements to the driver it still sounds arguably cleaner. In conclusion the Zero 2 is essentially just incremental upgrades, small little improvements, but yet coming up with a product that is arguably still superior to its predecessor."

...arguably to the majority of the buyers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom