• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

64 Audio tia Trió IEM Review

Rate this IEM:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 115 59.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 49 25.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 21 10.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 9 4.6%

• Total voters

Blorg

@Uwe yet I do perceive variation in soundstage with IEMs and the best ones are better than the closed back over-ears I have and indeed good enough that they are even better than some open backs. They aren't as good as the best open backs, no, but this isn't the same as saying "it doesn't exist as a variable". If it has to beat the HD800S to be a variable, virtually no other headphone has this in any shape or form.

Crinacle says soundstage is worse in IEMs than open backs and I don't disagree with this, of course it is. But that doesn't mean there are no variations between IEMs, there are. He cites this with the ones that have it, it's unusual and most don't, but some do. Examples:

Imaging-wise, the Clairvoyance has decent to good soundstage width/size and is more than acceptable for most live recordings.

Imaging is excellent on the Monarch, which is high praise from me considering my opinion that majority of IEMs exist in the limbo of mediocrity. Soundstage width and size is above average, though the biggest selling point of the Monarch’s technical capability is arguably its positional accuracy; every instrument has its own well-defined spot in a well-mastered mix, clearly separated from one another and easily distinguishable.

What I’m surprised on is how the Euclid manages to sound as wide as it does despite its closed-back design; sure it’s not going to beat out its open-backed predecessors but it is still within the top percentiles purely in terms of soundstage spacing, and the positional accuracy itself isn’t too shabby either.

[Tanchjim Oxygen] Above averaging imaging and soundstage width.

[Campfire Andromeda Gold] Imaging capabilities are excellent, just like the OG. Great outward diffusal of the soundstage and the instrument positioning is relatively accurate for an IEM.

You may not have perceived this with the IEMs you have heard. This may be down to the IEMs or it may be you, soundstage is inherently an illusion and different people perceive it very differently.

At least for me it's not just pinna interaction, at least some of it is the frequency response of the IEM. Rtings have some theories on the specific frequencies involved, I don't think their account of it is the whole thing, but I think this may be part of it. EQ can certainly affect soundstage, although it's not the only thing- while EQing out certain dips on the HD800S DOES reduce the perceived soundstage this doesn't mean you can just EQ soundstage in either. But some of it is in the frequency response and it definitely varies between IEMs for me.

moosso

Maybe they get paid for using them, or at least receive them for free?
Did you have any evidence?
Saying that without evidence is rude and insulting, please pay respect to people producing music for us.
it is definitely related to pinna interaction.
I assume you are a member of AES since you are so erudition and confident in your knowledge.
Can you point me any paper on AES that prove "soundstage" doesn't related to FR but "pinna interaction"? And how can we measure this "pinna interaction"? Can you show us the objective evidence that "HD800" has large soundstage because it has better "pinna interaction"?
Quoting words from researcher is not research.
Even crinacle says this (in some YouTube Live with headphones.com).
You said "Doesn't mean anything. Who are these people, basically some self-acclaimed YouTube reviewers." about this guy right?
Again please respect these people, because of them we have free access to a lot of measurement data.
but defending an absurdly expensive IEM, that has high distortion and not very target conform FR is a hard case.
The basic knowledge is people have different HRTF, "target conform" doesn't mean it will sound best for everyone.
From the measurement amirm provided, Tia Trio has a good pinna gain just not peak at 3k, treble is present, no large peak or dip other than the artifact of measurement rig. I will assume it works well for people have HRTF close to this response.
And this "high distortion" is on paper only, distortion at 94db is inaudible which most people would stay for hearing protection, I would say it's technically bad but no issue for consumer.

I don't know why you keep recommend over-ear headphones because "large soundstage", people buy IEM want portability, isolation and comfort, no musician will use HD800 on stage.
Meanwhile you can have your opinion, maybe you already heard this IEM somewhere and it's terrible for you.
Enjoy your Zero or HD800.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sure, you are entitled to you own opinion, but defending an absurdly expensive IEM, that has high distortion and not very target conform FR is a hard case.

I have no direct source, but Sean Olive says that the sound of a headphone is given by FR and spatial properties, and since IEMs have, due to the lack od pinna interaction, no siginifcant spatial prperties, what remains is FR. IAs a theoretical argument, an IEM inserts the sound pressure waves directly to the ear drum, so there is no more ineraction with anything that could alter the sound emitted from the source (no room, no pinna).

I don't know about what you care, but my presentations are well based on research and arguments, much more than pure opinion, that apparently were given by @moosso .
What I care about is for people like you to see the irony of criticizing others for sharing their subjective views while doing exactly the same thing but riding your imaginary objectivity high horse; and develop some sort of self awareness if possible please so that you can stop acting as if your opinions are objective facts.

Last edited:

nyxnyxnyx

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I presented much more than pure subjective opinions like you, @moosso or @Blorg, I pointed out research, arguments, quotes by respected audio engineers and the like. But just go on believing in magic and esoteric things, and sure, waste your money on crappy, overpriced IEMs. I couldn't care less. Just don't tell me that they are in any sense superior (besides the price), because this is utterly ridiculous.
And none of the published paper and researches have concluded a singular, undisputable answer like the one you keep repeating.

Most of us here are not 'believing in magic and esoteric things', we are pointing out the flaws in your argument, which is heavily one-sided and treating suggestive findings as gospel.

moosso

Objective opinions that I agree:
  • This IEM doesn't comply harman target
  • This IEM has high distortion at extremely loud volume
  • For minimum phase device frequency response and distortion is the major factor
Subjective opinions that I agree:
  • There are more harman and cheaper IEMs in the market people may want to looking for instead of this
  • Some headphone has pretty big preceived soundstage like HD800 for many people
  • "pinna interaction" that not included in FR may affects preceived soundstage (yes I agree it but as subjective possibility)
Subjective opinions that I did NOT agree:
  • You can understand how IEM sound exactly based on it's frequency response to the measurement rig
  • IEM doesn't follow harman target will sound bad
  • Soundstage is a researched objective term and it's not FR
  • People should buy headphones instead because they would like "big soundstage"
  • People buying this IEM is "waste their money on crap"
  • Musician using this IEM maybe "get paid for using them", and "their music is so horrible because they feel pain in the ears from this IEM"
I didn't link papers and research because I thought it's common understanding in this forum, many of us already read how Harman Target is born, how frequency response affects preceived sonic character.
Cleanly you don't understand what is Harman Target and I doubt you read any paper about it.

123.png

This is from Sean Olive's reasearch paper, you can see only about 70% people prefer harman target as is.
People have different HRTF and different preference, even for same person there is hearing loss with age, thus BA driver maker knowles published a research about their new target modified from harman.
You can get the pdf here for free: https://www.knowles.com/preferred-listening-response

Please, if you want to talk about things objectively do not mix them with your own opinion, post actual paper as source rather than links to forum thread or reddit.
And please try to respect people have different opinion or preference, insulting musician buying their product as "get paid" and "music so horrible" is too much.

Personally I have tried 64 Audio U6T, U12T and Trio in a local store, in my opinion I like them for the inoffensive tunning and the very comfort fit. The cost performance is not good to me as there are many excellent chinese IEMs in the market, but I can see why people choose their product.

Chyżwar

Has there been any scientific test that shows whether people can hear the difference between a dynamic and armature driver? Also, is there any audible difference between single and multi-driver headphones?
Anyone know of any scientific research on this?

nyxnyxnyx

Has there been any scientific test that shows whether people can hear the difference between a dynamic and armature driver? Also, is there any audible difference between single and multi-driver headphones?
Anyone know of any scientific research on this?
It's completely anecdotal so take it however you like but in my experience there were moments I listened to some IEMs that I didn't know their names or drivers configuration and I instantly got the impression like "damn it doesn't sound coherent, prob a hybrid" along with "this timbre is off" and many times it turned out to be true.

surprisingly one of the most-praised IEMs is the ThieAudio Monarch that brought me this "incoherency" impression. one extremely BA-sounding IEMs I still remember is Fiio FA7, but to be fair in both cases maybe it's not just the driver configuration but other factors too (FR, distortion, etc...)

Keith_W

Major Contributor
In the sense that the measurement of the FR shows me exactly how they will sound, yes.

Amir does not agree with you. As a reminder, he posts in every headphone review "If you think you have an exact idea of a headphone performance, you are likely wrong!". Neither does Crinacle, Sean Olive, or anybody involved with headphone measurement. Using different test fixtures will give you a different frequency response for a start, up to 10dB especially outside <300Hz and 3000Hz. This IEM, as measured on Amir's Gras 45C, has at most 5dB variation in these areas. I am sorry, but I think you are excessively dogmatic and narrow - and I think many people on this thread would agree with that assessment.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Amir is talking about headphones, not IEMs. If the measurement is done with a good seal and the certain amount of insertion, the FR will be very close to the one that comes to the ear drum, as the measurement device is very similar to the ear canal.

In that case, you should ask Amir to remove that disclaimer from the very first page of this thread where he is clearly talking about IEM's. But you are still completely wrong. Different test rigs result in different frequency responses. In your view, which one is correct?

Sean Olive posted yesterday (on Facebook) a video about "Why headphone reviewers are moving away from the Harman target", which was actually about how newer measurement rigs and techniques are making the Harman curve (which was created on a Gras systems with a KB5000 pinna) obsolete. Or rather, that the Harman curve has to be adapted for these newer rigs. I was wondering how some of the more dogmatic members of ASR would react to that. Since you think measurements are all perfect and infallible, perhaps you would like to watch this video and comment.

markanini

Major Contributor
Amir is talking about headphones, not IEMs. If the measurement is done with a good seal and the certain amount of insertion, the FR will be very close to the one that comes to the ear drum, as the measurement device is very similar to the ear canal.
You know that the same GRAS RA0402 ear canal simulator is used for measuring headphones and IEMs?

markanini

Major Contributor
The GRAS RA0402 CAN be used to measure both, IEMs and Headphones, but up to now, the measurements of crinacle are done on the EC60318-4 (711 coupler) for IEMs and the results are very similar, as it is the same standard.
The question is if it matches output of the eardrum. If that's true people should be unable to differentiate different IEMs after being EQ'ed to the same curve. I dont know of any proof to this claim.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@GaryH and from that very thread, the very guy you quote, Oratory1990 points out he tweaks Harman with his in-ear target to have "reduced energy at 3k and increased energy in the low-mids". So you can add him on the big pile of people with this exact issue with Harman IE.

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/dnliv4/_/f5p6748
Out of interest, do you know what the rationale for having the upper mids and treble in Harman in-ear boosted way over Harman over-ear? I think I understand the general rationale for more bass, "more bass is needed on in-ear headphones than on over-ear headphones in order for the perceived amount of bass to be the same"- and I do find that, for sure. But they did it with the upper mids and treble as well. And all these people who have a problem with the shoutiness of Harman in-ear don't, in general, have any issue with Harman OE. Because the over-ear target has less shout.
I've thought about this before, I think it's to tonally balance the increased bass they put into the IEM target.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

MayaTlab

I have no direct source
every serious researchers agrees that a large soundstage cannot be achieved by manipulating FR alone.

Almost everybody agrees that the HD800 has the largest soundstage of all headphones.
As I said, there is no general accepted and worked out theory for soundstage, but large and angled drivers, large cups and distance of cups and ears seem to play a major role.

This all sounds quite cognitively dissonant to me.

But I'm glad to know that I'm now qualified enough to write an AES paper and back up my conclusions with "almost everybody agrees" :D.

Although the exact mechanism for creating soundstage is not know

Question : if it is not known, how then are we even attempting binauralisation of object-oriented formats ?

What some people call "soundstage", in the context of stereo recordings, it's probably unknown indeed - if only because there is no operational definition of the term to begin with. But if the goal is to create a virtual space and make sound A appear to come from x angle at y distance, then I'm tempted to think that we know more about the theoretical mechanisms at play than about how to concretely realise it in a practical and robust way for most individuals.

it is definitely related to pinna interaction.

I was expecting that answer - and I wasn't expecting a source to back it up since it has yet to be truly evaluated to my knowledge whether or not over ears can reliably vary across individuals at higher frequencies in a way that for the most part corresponds to how their anatomy would influence loudspeakers' (or natural sound sources) response at their eardrum.

The problem I have with this idea is that it doesn't really add up with the data we already have, at least to a degree that any desirable results out of large over-ears interacting with one's pinna wouldn't be swamped by nuisance variables (including undesirable results out of the same type of interaction). I can see a few issues already such as :
- the relative difference between headphones varying inconsistently between individuals, and, in extenso, measurement rigs
- some over-ears being significantly impacted by positional and / or coupling variation - even so when you remove the pinna from the equation (flat plate).

In regards to the first point, my reasoning is as follows : pick two listeners A and B, which DF HRTF you know (we'll assume that DF HRTF + tilt or shelf is the reference for “sounds good to individual A or B”, but it could be how their HRTF influences how decent loudspeakers in a decent room measure at these individuals' eardrum, or anything else of the kind for the sake of the argument). Let’s imagine a theoretical pair of headphones that varies across listeners in a way that perfectly matches their DF HRTF differences. It then means that if you’ve measured the response in situ for listener A, you can calculate the response in situ for listener B - and don't need to measure it.

Now pick two such “ideal” headphones. It also means that, regardless of their basal FR (we’ll consider for the example that they’re different), the variation between listeners will be constant across both of them.

Now, let’s imagine that you pick a selection of six large, open over-ears, but this time you don’t know whether or not any one of them can perfectly vary across listeners in a way that matches the difference in their DF HRTF. If they all are inconsistent in terms of how they vary across listeners, then it means that at least 5 out of 6 are incapable of varying across listeners in a way that matches their variance in DF HRTF - if not all of them.

You’re none the wiser in terms of knowing which headphones captured the DF HRTF variance best (a very interesting question indeed), but you can at least rule out that this is a common characteristic, even for these large, open over-ears - and possibly even quantify how incapable they are of doing just that.

Presented differently, that presentation could possibly provide the sort of data that would allow us to evaluate just that, but some questions remain, notably whether or not all headphones were measured during the exact same sessions, without moving the mics (or if the individuals could reliably position the mics in the same place), and if all individuals wore them truly past the ear canal entrance. If we assume that this was done, then even just eyeballing the response past a few kHz it's fairly easy to see that the headphones vary inconsistently across listeners, even for the larger, open headphones :

Screenshot 2023-03-10 at 16.52.33.png

The same sort of reasoning can apply to headphones rigs : if over-ears reliably interacted with them in a way that matched how their pinnae affect the HATS DF HRTF (and / or other reference for what "sounds good"), we wouldn't see that much noise around the average when measuring the difference between one fixture and another :

rtings diff all.jpg

You'll see the same sort of noise around the average on any other test of the kind I've digitised the traces for, even when only the pinna varies.

You could tell me : yep but these ear simulators don't just have different pinnae, they also have a different ear canal, fixture geometry, etc... yep and so will humans.

What you do notice from such test fixture to test fixture tests is that some (but not all !) large over-ears tend to cluster closer to the average trend above a few hundred Hz (below the average is too influenced by leakage sensitive headphones to be a good baseline).

rtings diff select.jpg

But :
- you'd then need to know first and foremost if the difference captured by measuring a cohort of headphones on fixture A over fixture B is similar to the difference between fixture A over B's DF HRTF. Clustering closer the average difference does not necessarily mean that :D.
- some smaller over-ears, including some closed ones, or ones that deform the pinna, still tend to land quite close to the average : is it a fluke ? I'm starting to think that you'd need to test a larger sample size of fixtures and / or pinnae to know that.

I absolutely am interested in knowing if some over-ears designs are more capable than others at interacting with the individuals' anatomical features in a way that matches better the inter-individual variation with sound sources such as loudspeakers, and more capable at reducing other nuisance variables, but it's quite already clear to me that for most of them, that's not happening to a sufficient degree. Not even remotely close. And we haven't even arrived at the issue of positional variation.

Now it's true that IEMs for certain won't interact with one's pinna. But since the above should casts doubts whether or not over-ears can reliably interact with one's pinna in an exclusively desirable way, and not also if not entirely in a random and undesirable way, I'm quite skeptical that pinna interaction alone can explain whatever someone would call "soundstage".

It is definitely not a sufficiently explored subject, but what it is clear is that FR alone cannot be responsible for it. This can be demonstrated simply by two headphones with the same FR (achieved with or without EQ), which still have a differently perceived soundstage.

Ah, the classic.

How do you know that two headphones with the same FR on a measurement rig will still have the same FR on your own head (even more so when relying on measurements performed with other samples) ?

These are all headphones EQed to the Harman target according to Oratory's profiles, measured with the same blocked ear canal entrance mics on my own head (which by now I think that I can position consistently well) - please don't compare these to measurements performed at the eardrum, look only at the difference between the traces :

bc all.jpg

Only one pair of headphones in the lot is quite sensitive to leakage issues (not the red trace interestingly), hence the rather tight grouping below 1kHz.

So, what happened ? Among other potential issues :
- For a start, in the 1.5-8kHz band blocked ear canal entrance mics will introduce errors in terms of the relative difference between headphones, but it won't explain the above (If I were to re-do these measurements with open ear canal entrance mics, I'd get a similar spread). Above 8kHz the errors are too important, hence no valid data (and I think that this should possibly apply to Harman's latest presentation).
- for one pair, a volume dependent EQ, which means that the measurements on an ear simulator, quite likely not performed at the same volume as the one you'll be listening to, is not representative (yet that is not the cause of the main deviation from the rest for this model).
- for some of these traces, the profiles don't fully correct some of the nulls
- sample variation (but it won't explain the difference for all traces as the above contains several samples of the same model)
- and coupling issues.

For obvious reasons, the same presentation linked above should also put a damper on being too enthusiastic about EQing one pair of headphones to sound like another (and should make the above results unsurprising), particularly if they're anything but large open backs with tight manufacturing tolerances, and without the help of in-ear microphones (which have their own limitations to perform that task).

This is no subjective opinion, but an objective fact. You may not agree with it, but it still remains true.

It's an objective fact that at the very least passive IEMs' FR can vary quite significantly and non-linearly past 3-4kHz with insertion depth. So how do you know that the insertion depth in your ears is a match with the one used to measure them in an ear simulator ?

I've also already provided you with an interesting example when it comes to IEMs with a feedback mechanism, whether you're interested in it or not is up to you.

Now let's have a bit of fun :

This is the exact same IEM, in the exact same clone coupler from Aliexpress, measured at the exact same volume, with the exact same signal (a sweep), and the exact same seating (the IEM wasn't moved between measurements), and no normalisation. Yet I was able to consistently and repeatedly get three different results - of the kind that is consistent enough that some people would think any one of these traces would be representative of the actual FR (and in fact some reviewers have been duped by that IEM's behaviour). What happened ? How do you know which one is representative of what happens in your ears (if any) ? Hint : they're active IEMs.

MMMM.jpg

Last edited:

markanini

Major Contributor
One reason for FR uncertainty that's rarely talked about is varying pressurization:
From 4:36 a no-front vent design is discussed that's especially prone, with measurements.

mmmdc

That is exactly the claim, and while I don't have definitive proof for this, all research points to this. Even if the perceived FR varies for every individual from the measured one, two identically measured ones will generate the same FR at the ear drum of that individual.
"I don't have any proof, nor any research, but I'm just going to say that's the case and pretend this is a valid argument".

If you're so dead set on being right, maybe provide some sources. Right now it's essentially just "trust me bro".

staticV3

Master Contributor
Ok, so lets start slowly. Do you agree that two IEMs, which measure the same (including one being EQed to the other one and than both being measured), will sound the same to a specific individual (with his own ECRTF ( ear canal related transfer function)?
only if
1: the individual's ear canal's acoustic impedance is identical to that of the inner ear simulator that's used for the measrement or
2: the IEMs in question have identical stiffness (=react the same to an identical change in load impedance)

Top Bottom