• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

$55000 Nordost cables for $60.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That thread is comedy gold. They know the cables are fake, and someone even took an Odin Gold PC apart and found the shielding is just gold coloured paper.

Debating the differences in fake cables…
OTOH they could be just as good in real use. Fake as the originals were....

JSmith

Master Contributor

1675736015397.png

JSmith

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

View attachment 262970

JSmith
ROFLMAO every product is carefully auditioned.....

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No point in wasting Amir's time testing cables. Test outcomes are too predictable.

Agreed. Although note the EMI in the Nilai review and talk about how the cables are routed internally.

I believe that Paul over @ PS Audio sells an electron harvester that you can use to gather up the ones that get away and use them for other purposes. It's getting to be a very green industry, you know?

Palladium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
ROFLMAO every product is carefully auditioned.....

Gotta love how the industry is indulging in snake oil while also deriding Apple's actual innovations in audio tech as unlistenable consumer trash.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Gotta love how the industry is indulging in snake oil while also deriding Apple's actual innovations in audio tech as unlistenable consumer trash.
Not really I just think it is really sad how the industry indulges in bullshit. F**k all that do.

Last edited:

dorakeg

I have worked this out and I am going to patent it. You heard it here first.

I'm going to buy another cable and connect them in parallel with the arrows going in OPPOSING DIRECTIONS to each other therefore allowing the electrons to pick which ever cable they need to go in that direction.

Then my mate said why dont you just draw arrows on the cable going in the other direction? Surely the electrons can read? Can't they?

I'm so confused.

The purpose for having directional arrow is just to identify where the shield is terminated. It's a common practice to terminate the shield on 1 end. So, this arrow allows you to identify that end. It's usually more important for RCA cables because both ends are the same (unlike XLR).

For people who likes to DIY cables (myself included), the arrow marking is a convenience should one choose to terminate shield only on 1 side. Of course one can also use tape, marker etc to make markings.

An example would be tyres. Some tyres are directional with an arrow on the side wall to indicate direction of rotation. One might find it ridiculous that a tyre has direction. It has to do with thread pattern (esp. those with V grooves) and water dispersion in wet weather driving.

bkatbamna

Left my review on AliExpress

AliExpress Shopper
AU

Color:
AU Version Length: 1.5m Logistics: AliExpress Standard Shipping
The sound stage has increased so much my neighbor complained he had background singers in his living room. The highs were so high I can't hear them anymore. 08 Dec 2022 16:45
It isn't a real review unless your wife who is in some other part of the house says something about how much better it sounds.

DonR

Major Contributor
The purpose for having directional arrow is just to identify where the shield is terminated. It's a common practice to terminate the shield on 1 end. So, this arrow allows you to identify that end. It's usually more important for RCA cables because both ends are the same (unlike XLR).

For people who likes to DIY cables (myself included), the arrow marking is a convenience should one choose to terminate shield only on 1 side. Of course one can also use tape, marker etc to make markings.

An example would be tyres. Some tyres are directional with an arrow on the side wall to indicate direction of rotation. One might find it ridiculous that a tyre has direction. It has to do with thread pattern (esp. those with V grooves) and water dispersion in wet weather driving.
This was a power cable. There is no mistaking which end goes where.

Reactions: GDK

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Get with the times! Wife is so old-fashioned. One's partner -- heck, theymight not even be human!
:cool:
ChatGPT and i are...just friends.

dorakeg

This was a power cable. There is no mistaking which end goes where.

I am not sure what's the inner construction of the cable. Is there a braided or foil shield??

Also, do note that this is an imitation. So, what text to print on the cable is entirely up to the factory.

Btw, I just googled around for cardas golden reference power cable and there is a tinted copper shield (unsure if its braided or not). If someone purchase the cable and terminate themselves, they could choose to terminate the shield only 1 side. It also a reference for the workers building the power cable in the factory.

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there a braided or foil shield??

If this is a power lead, what would be the point:

1 - Most of what you'd want to sheild from is power wiring - too damn late for that.
2 - Even if the interference is a different source, sheilding a power lead is not going to protect the cabling inside your walls.
3 - If you are trying to protect audio cables from power EMI, then a) at a distance point 2 applies - and b) if not at a distance, separate the damn audio cables from power cables.

DonR

Major Contributor
I am not sure what's the inner construction of the cable. Is there a braided or foil shield??

Also, do note that this is an imitation. So, what text to print on the cable is entirely up to the factory.

Btw, I just googled around for cardas golden reference power cable and there is a tinted copper shield (unsure if its braided or not). If someone purchase the cable and terminate themselves, they could choose to terminate the shield only 1 side. It also a reference for the workers building the power cable in the factory.
How does directionality matter as long as the shield is attached to earth at the plug? The direction of the cable itself is meaningless,

Speedskater

Major Contributor
In the theoretical world what an AC cord's shield does and how it's connected matter.
But in the real world, it won't matter much.

dorakeg

How does directionality matter as long as the shield is attached to earth at the plug? The direction of the cable itself is meaningless,

Yes, you are right on that. Direction has no meaning at all. Apart from shield termination, it doesn't matter at all.

However, we cannot assume that it's meaningless to everyone. Let me give you an example.

When USB-C was first introduced, I observed that many people esp. those who arent tech savvy were lost at how to connect the cable to their phones.. They are so used to inserting the cable only 1 way (directional connector). Now, they no longer have to do that, they do not know which way to connect. Took them a while to finally get used to it.

Another example is in factories. I learnt that standardising and reduction in time need to make decisions could speed up production process. So, if I apply it to this cable making factory. I would say workers will likely need to assemble audio related cables of different types and models. So, having a directional mark on all the cables means that workers do not need to identify which cables are directional and which are not. I believe this will make things easier for workers.

DonR

Major Contributor
Yes, you are right on that. Direction has no meaning at all. Apart from shield termination, it doesn't matter at all.

However, we cannot assume that it's meaningless to everyone. Let me give you an example.

When USB-C was first introduced, I observed that many people esp. those who arent tech savvy were lost at how to connect the cable to their phones.. They are so used to inserting the cable only 1 way (directional connector). Now, they no longer have to do that, they do not know which way to connect. Took them a while to finally get used to it.

Another example is in factories. I learnt that standardising and reduction in time need to make decisions could speed up production process. So, if I apply it to this cable making factory. I would say workers will likely need to assemble audio related cables of different types and models. So, having a directional mark on all the cables means that workers do not need to identify which cables are directional and which are not. I believe this will make things easier for workers.
It is only meaningful on a finished cable if connectors are ambiguous and the shield is connected only on one end. For the cable itself, without connectors, it is meaningless as the shield can be attached at either end.

Top Bottom