• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

$55000 Nordost cables for $60.

egellings

Major Contributor
Best subjective description I have seen, brilliant! I am quite tempted to try this out on an Audiophile forum to see if they get it.
Soundstage was so wide that I could not hear both ends of it.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My soundstage got so big it drew a large audience. I started selling tickets!

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Seriously...can anyone explain why we're shielding a power cable? No snake oil fabrications, please.

Speedskater

Major Contributor
Seriously...can anyone explain why we're shielding a power cable? No snake oil fabrications, please.
A re-edit of another post of mine.
In the distant past, you would sometimes see shielded AC line cords on printers and desk-top computers. So that they could pass the radiated interference tests.
An AC line cord can act as an interference transmitting antenna. More-so if the component has a Switch Mode Power Supply.
To quote Jim Brown, retired Audio Engineering Society interference expert:

Antenna Action
The most fundamental cause of radio interference to other systems is the fact that
the wiring for those systems, both inside and outside the box, are antennas. We may call them
"patch cables" or "speaker cables" or "video cables" or "power cords" or "Ethernet cables," or printed circuit traces,
but Mother Nature knows that they are antennas! And Mother Nature always wins the argument.

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In the distant past, you would sometimes see shielded AC line cords on printers and desk-top computers. So that they could pass the radiated interference tests.
An AC line cord can act as an interference transmitting antenna. More-so if the component has a Switch Mode Power Supply.
Yes, that is true.

egellings

Major Contributor
To quote Jim Brown, retired Audio Engineering Society interference expert:

Antenna Action
The most fundamental cause of radio interference to other systems is the fact that
the wiring for those systems, both inside and outside the box, are antennas. We may call them
"patch cables" or "speaker cables" or "video cables" or "power cords" or "Ethernet cables," or printed circuit traces,
but Mother Nature knows that they are antennas! And Mother Nature always wins the argument.
That sort of EMI suppression would best be done in the supply itself, rather than waiting to deal with it once it's out on the power cord.

dorakeg

It is only meaningful on a finished cable if connectors are ambiguous and the shield is connected only on one end. For the cable itself, without connectors, it is meaningless as the shield can be attached at either end.

You need to think beyond the cable itself. Most of these audio related cables are manually terminated by workers on a small scale basis.

If you are the worker doing the termination, how do you know which side of the cable to use for the shield? How can you allow your customer to know which side the shield is terminated?

Btw, not all shielded cables have arrows. Manufacturers uses other methods, eg. Labelling the connectors with words like source, amplifier etc, put a small tape around the wire to indicate or a tab with word/drawing printed. There is no standard way of doing this.

lemnoc

Looks like Jay is horrified that the punters are paying $50 for a knockoff of Nordost cables instead of the full 10k retail price for the real thing. Give me a break. This dude comes right out of a comic book. Does anyone take him seriously ?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why even give that guy extra clicks? He's just another doofus on youtube.

DonR

Major Contributor
If you are the worker doing the termination, how do you know which side of the cable to use for the shield? How can you allow your customer to know which side the shield is terminated?
You attach the shield to the male plug termination rather than the female socket. It's not rocket science. If the customer can't tell a plug from a socket he has bigger problems than AC cable shielding.

Last edited:

JaMaSt

Forum Donor
Looks like Jay is horrified that the punters are paying $50 for a knockoff of Nordost cables instead of the full 10k retail price for the real thing. Give me a break. This dude comes right out of a comic book. Does anyone take him seriously ?
Hey now, I think you are being unfair. He's providing a valuable service to the audiophile community. He's showing his followers how to distinguish a genuine snake oil product from a knock-off snake oil product.

lemnoc

Hey now, I think you are being unfair. He's providing a valuable service to the audiophile community. He's showing his followers how to distinguish a genuine snake oil product from a knock-off snake oil product.
And you also should be able to hear the difference over a youtube streaming service. Apparently the differences are chalk and cheese :D LOL

dorakeg

Haha, I didn't click on the video. Cables are indeed easy to imitate. However, 1 thing which is impossible to imitate is copper purity.

I am not sure if nordost is indeed 7N copper (that's what they said but nobody knows). 6/7N is rare and expensive. So, I don't think any imitation cable will use high purity copper. I am not debating whether purity matters, just to point out that this is one area which you cannot imitate.

lemnoc

Haha, I didn't click on the video. Cables are indeed easy to imitate. However, 1 thing which is impossible to imitate is copper purity.

I am not sure if nordost is indeed 7N copper (that's what they said but nobody knows). 6/7N is rare and expensive. So, I don't think any imitation cable will use high purity copper. I am not debating whether purity matters, just to point out that this is one area which you cannot imitate.
It's mains. It carries no signal information. Purity would make no difference given the purity of the mains wiring from the meter box ;)

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's mains. It carries no signal information. Purity would make no difference given the purity of the mains wiring from the meter box ;)
Purity makes no difference whether it is mains or audio. OFC/copper purity is just another tool in the scammers box.

dorakeg

My post is just to point out that copper purity cannot be imitated, not about whether it makes a difference or not. Who knows, the wire may not be even made of copper. Unless you cut the wire and examine it, there is no way to know what metal is used to make the cable.

dorakeg

You attach the shield to the male plug termination rather than the female socket. It's not rocket science. If the customer can't tell a plug from a socket he has bigger problems than AC cable shielding.

Ah ok, you are talking only about power cable.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My post is just to point out that copper purity cannot be imitated, not about whether it makes a difference or not. Who knows, the wire may not be even made of copper. Unless you cut the wire and examine it, there is no way to know what metal is used to make the cable.
It can't be replicated, it can be imitated.

Just put "99.9999% pure copper" on the box - no customer can check for themselves - there you go, imitation.

Top Bottom