• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

$20k for dream 2.0 or 2.1 rig

mad

After some time in this hobby I would like to build out a nice stereo system. Surround is nice for movies but I don't notice a big difference.

Ideally this would just be a pair of speakers, being fed by my Benchmark DAC 3 HGC. Actives seem like the way to go for the sake of power and dollar efficiency. I would be open to passives but my total budget includes amplification. At what point does the size of the speaker matter? Can you get away with smaller and more streamlined components or do you need a massive box for full 20-20khz range? My listening space isn't enormous at maybe 3 x 4m. Thank you

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Ideally this would just be a pair of speakers, being fed by my Benchmark DAC 3 HGC
Active speakers usually contain a DSP, and therefore also a number of DACs. Your Benchmark DAC will be superfluous.

As for speakers, Genelec will have some nice options with money to spare.

SuicideSquid

Addicted to Fun and Learning
In a space like that you would likely be well served by a pair of bookshelf speakers and a subwoofer and you can get effectively "perfect" performance for well under $20k. The recently released Neumann KH120ii is basically ruler-flat from 60hz to 20kHz, and has built in DSP/room correction. Pair it with the Neumann sub and you're set. Or go with the KH150s, which will give you dead flat response down to 45Hz - low enough that you don't even need a sub for lots of music, but you can still add a sub to fill out the bottom octave.

If you want to forgo the sub and have true full-range speakers, look at the KH420, which are about $10k a pair. IMO they're overkill for that space but you can't do better.

[edit] These are all powered speakers, so you just need a preamp and you're good to go.

OP
M

mad

Active speakers usually contain a DSP, and therefore also a number of DACs. Your Benchmark DAC will be superfluous.

As for speakers, Genelec will have some nice options with money to spare.
Which Genelecs? I see several that do not have DSP. I would prefer to do that outside of the speaker.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
At what point does the size of the speaker matter?
That's hard so say, but a kitten can't roar like a lion. ;) There's a lot more to speaker design than size, but generally, it's going to take 12-woofers (or maybe a 15-inch sub) to get "realistic" bass you can feel in your body.

Sometimes it's worthwhile to go to an audio-video store even if it's just to listen and to hear what different speakers can sound like. (And they will sound different in a different acoustic environment.) Most audio/video speakers (except subwoofers) are passive so you might not fine exactly what you want in the store. Most studio monitors are active and many PA speakers are active (but you probably don't want a PA speaker where sound quality may be sacrificed for loudness.)

Surround is nice for movies but I don't notice a big difference.
With movies, the "point one" LFE channel isn't included in the stereo down-mix and without a subwoofer it's lost. (You still get the "regular bass" from the other channels.)

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Which Genelecs?
If your prepared to spend 20k on speakers, find out yourself, it’s not that hard ;)
I see several that do not have DSP. I would prefer to do that outside of the speaker.
Then you’ll compromise on quality. All of the best Genelecs are DSP speakers. Whatever you think you gain by keeping the DAC, your wrong.

Then again, the non-DSP models are still excellent speakers. The largest is the 8050B, tested here:

OP
M

mad

If your prepared to spend 20k on speakers, find out yourself, it’s not that hard ;)

Then you’ll compromise on quality. All of the best Genelecs are DSP speakers. Whatever you think you gain by keeping the DAC, your wrong.

Then again, the non-DSP models are still excellent speakers. The largest is the 8050B, tested here:

The DAC is just one less piece to purchase. I am thinking of Trinnov down the line. That wouldn't be a net gain?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The DAC is just one less piece to purchase. I am thinking of Trinnov down the line. That wouldn't be a net gain?
If the goal is home theater, yes. For stereo, it seems like a total waste. But at least you can still hook up the speakers digitally via the Trinnov. Stormaudio may have alternative options.

Last edited:

lowkeyoperations

These would be my dream for that budget.
No sub required. -3dB at 22Hz
DSP-free.
Amps built outside the enclosure.
Paired with Trinnov would be sweet.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That gets the OP most of the way there, but how would they integrate the sub?
1702422439117.png

OP
M

mad

These would be my dream for that budget.
No sub required. -3dB at 22Hz
DSP-free.
Amps built outside the enclosure.
Paired with Trinnov would be sweet.
What do you mean amps built outside the enclosure? They look to be integrated with the cabinet.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What do you mean amps built outside the enclosure? They look to be integrated with the cabinet.
Placing the amplifier inside the monitor negatively interferes with moving elements. All the electronics of One25A are housed outside the cabinet in a rigid steel enclosure, which is also removable for soffit mounting.
And also:
Active speakers typically suffer from a lack of resolution due to their complex signal paths. The One25A is free of dynamics and detail-degrading DSP and AD/DA stages, which leads to maximum resolution and performance.
:facepalm: Typical audiophile nonsense

12Many

First, if I were you I would spend some time listening to systems to see if you like a softer/wamer sound or a more detailed sound. This often depends on the type of music you like and your source material. IMO, there is no perfect system - you will either have systems which work best for a type of music or a jack of all trade - master of none system - for a 20k all in system. For an all arounder system, I would buy one of the benchmark amps $3500 to pair with your dac and the Revel F228be speakers ($8500) - maybe too big for your room. Spend about $1500 on room treatment. Then, depending on the room and your tastes a sub or two ($2500) - Rythmic F12. I won't recommend the streamer to buy so you are on your own there. This forum will tell you to buy a pi or something but you should just test out different ones to see what sounds good to you and has a user friendly interface. You have money left over for a tube amp so you have some variety and some cables from BJC. Keep us posted.

Last edited:
Top Bottom