• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

12" Klipsch Sub for $150, how bad can it be?

gvl

Major Contributor
While shopping for a big pack of toilet paper at a local Costco I stumbled upon a 12" Klipsch sub there on sale for $150 and couldn't resist... Model R12-12SW, 400W power claimed and it's a substantial and rather nice looking ported box. Klipsch and Costco is not a very promising start, bad how bad can it be? I'm just looking to reinforce low end in my 2ch system. I hooked it up and it's a bit boomy, unclear if this can be improved with better tuning or room placement or its just the way cheap subs are.

_20201119_233118.JPG_20201119_233152.JPG

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
While shopping for a big pack of toilet paper at a local Costco I stumbled upon a 12" Klipsch sub there on sale for $150 and couldn't resist... Model R12-12SW, 400W power claimed and it's a substantial and rather nice looking ported box. Klipsch and Costco is not a very promising start, bad how bad can it be? I'm just looking to reinforce low end in my 2ch system. I hooked it up and it's a bit boomy, unclear if this can be improved with better tuning or room placement or its just the way cheap subs are.
Where is it located? Against a flat wall, in a corner, set out in the room?

OP
gvl

gvl

Major Contributor
Currently it's in the middle of the room, about 1ft from the wall. Or rather in the middle of a long wall.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Currently it's in the middle of the room, about 1ft from the wall. Or rather in the middle of a long wall.
Sounds about right, can you move it away from the wall more? Moving it out should tighten up the bass a bit. Otherwise some EQing might help.

OP
gvl

gvl

Major Contributor
Sure, I will try. I'm somewhat concerned about the solidity of a $150 12" sub concept.

OP
gvl

gvl

Major Contributor
It certainly looked like a good deal. Regular price was $250, which is still less than Canadian prices.

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In the U.S., Costco sells consumer electronics that sat in the box too long at Best Buy and other retailers. Several CE manufacturers require retailers to sell merchandise that they cannot move quickly enough to Costco, at prices that are often below those retailers' cost. (This is why the TVs sold at Costco are a model year or two out of date.)

If one isn't too picky, one can get good deals there.

boselover61

In the U.S., Costco sells consumer electronics that sat in the box too long at Best Buy and other retailers. Several CE manufacturers require retailers to sell merchandise that they cannot move quickly enough to Costco, at prices that are often below those retailers' cost. (This is why the TVs sold at Costco are a model year or two out of date.)

If one isn't too picky, one can get good deals there.
Which costco do you go to? The one near me always stock the newest model for every electronics they sell. They always have the newest OLED/QLED available, anywhere from LGs to SOnys

OP
gvl

gvl

Major Contributor
My observation is Costco often sells models that cannot be found anywhere else, they are similar to those from BestBuy, etc., but with reduced feature set to allow a lower price. So even if they sometimes liquidate remaining stock from elsewhere I'd say that is not typical. This sub is on sale again btw, but for $20 more this time.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd have left it at Costco.....so much better available.

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But it was $150, and there was no wait for shipping - the OP took it home with his toilet paper.

If I were looking to add bass to a cheap system, I'd have bought three of these and then planned to spend an afternoon with a measurement mic and REW.

With careful placement and good EQ, I think even this inexpensive subwoofer will be capable of satisfying results.

Numerous ASR members have reported and measured excellent results with cheap subs.

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
But it was $150, and there was no wait for shipping - the OP took it home with his toilet paper.

If I were looking to add bass to a cheap system, I'd have bought three of these and then planned to spend an afternoon with a measurement mic and REW.

Meh. Three of them would just be a waste of $450 :)

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Meh. Three of them would just be a waste of $450 :)
Had the money been spent on Klipsch loudspeakers (as opposed to subs), I would agree with you.

There are ways to waste money at Costco--e.g., on the world's most hideous, unsellable, diamond-adorned Rolex watches, which the Costco near me stocks.

But not on a cheap sub. Using a cheap sub and getting good measured results is an ASR badge of honor.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Had the money been spent on Klipsch loudspeakers (as opposed to subs), I would agree with you.

Not a big Klipsch fan in that direction either :)....altho some of their large heritage type speakers can be fun. Some of their later releases in the RP lineup aren't horrible from what I've heard. I think they make better speakers than subs generally....I'd only consider their top of the line subs (SPL-120/150 or their predecessor R-112SW/R-115SW) at a deep discount.

boselover61

They may be "current" models, but they are not the newest and may have spent a few months in a Best Buy warehouse.

A year ago, when I was TV shopping, I noticed that the Costco near me was selling Samsung televisions with model numbers that resembled current model numbers in format, but comparing the televisions carefully to what was available at Best Buy and Amazon, we realized that Costco was selling the previous year's models.

This has been the business model for CE sales at membership warehouses for some time. Back in the aughts, I spent several months selling gear (mostly televisions) for a major CE retailer, and several times we had a mad rush to sell televisions that the store would soon become obligated to deliver to Costco/Sam's Club at fire sale prices. The prices to be paid by the membership warehouses for the old merchandise were so low that we were willing to sell the televisions at prices substantially below our store's cost.

Because you purport to be a Bose lover, I note also that the models of Bose speaker sold at Costco/Sam's Club tend to be different from what is available from the major CE retailers. When I was slinging CE, Bose made cheaper, stripped-down models for Costco and Sam's (designated by a different suffix - the more expensive models sole through CE channels had something like "GS" at the end). The fact that the membership warehouse models were different from, and presumably even worse than, what was available from the CE retailer helped me make a lot of sales of Bose systems.
I guess it varies from store to store. The guy that do the ordering at Costco tells me they usually don't let old models on the floor for more than few months at most. The moment the newest LG/Sony Oled came out they had it within around 2 weeks (he said 8 days when i asked). Then again I did get the klipsch subwoofer from costco. I've heard amp failures with these but since these practically have a "lifetime warranty" on them because costco sells them I took the risk. They are solid mid bass woofer. I took some in room measurement and they do go down to at least 20hz in my room. Had to EQ the mid bass out because it was too much boomy with it as is

OP
gvl

gvl

Major Contributor

Just needed a cheap sub to play with, the price was right. You can do much worse than this for $150.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just needed a cheap sub to play with, the price was right. You can do much worse than this for $150.

I know. I did something similar with a Klipsch RW-12d some years back. You just can't really do good subs for $150, tho.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
They may be "current" models, but they are not the newest and may have spent a few months in a Best Buy warehouse.

A year ago, when I was TV shopping, I noticed that the Costco near me was selling Samsung televisions with model numbers that resembled current model numbers in format, but comparing the televisions carefully to what was available at Best Buy and Amazon, we realized that Costco was selling the previous year's models.

This has been the business model for CE sales at membership warehouses for some time. Back in the aughts, I spent several months selling gear (mostly televisions) for a major CE retailer, and several times we had a mad rush to sell televisions that the store would soon become obligated to deliver to Costco/Sam's Club at fire sale prices. The prices to be paid by the membership warehouses for the old merchandise were so low that we were willing to sell the televisions at prices substantially below our store's cost.

Because you purport to be a Bose lover, I note also that the models of Bose speaker sold at Costco/Sam's Club tend to be different from what is available from the major CE retailers. When I was slinging CE, Bose made cheaper, stripped-down models for Costco and Sam's (designated by a different suffix - the more expensive models sole through CE channels had something like "GS" at the end). The fact that the membership warehouse models were different from, and presumably even worse than, what was available from the CE retailer helped me make a lot of sales of Bose systems.
Cosco is of the worlds largest retailers by sales volume.
They don't need second hand products.
Model numbers are often different simply to thawrt price matching. No other reason really.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Cosco is of the worlds largest retailers by sales volume.
They don't need second hand products.
Model numbers are often different simply to thawrt price matching. No other reason really.
Like the Yamaha RX-V6A vs Costco's TSR-700?

Top Bottom