• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

mission brand speakers?

davide78

I used pair of Mission 760 as my main speakers until a few months ago. I still have them, and they served me well for many years. They do need a subwoofer to excel, IMHO. You cannot ask too much from a 130mm bass driver.

Hatty

anyone have any experience with them? i can not find much information. any review about them?

which mission speaker do you guys have? which one is the best?

Hi. My first pair was 770 Freedom...They had the ability to go very loud, yet maintain absolute control.and.clarity, no matter what was thrown at them... Also had and still have a pair of 760...small.bookshelf type speaker. 99 Pounds and one of the most detailed sounds for so little.money. and on the end of a Yamaha A s2100 sound extraordinary. and with eyes closed.. you'd never believe their tiny size....I have two pairs of my favourites. Mission 782.....the sweetness, refinement and detail.is just mindblowing...have to watch for the original.midranges, which tended to fail.
but there are now replacements available, which are far superior.. I also treated myself to a pair of Mission SX4...floorstanders..in a beautifully seven times lacquered finish....They need careful partnering and a big room.to.do.justice.. If you can get a pair of 782s...I guarantee you won't be disappointed and make.sure the side firing bass units fire outwards....sounds much better...and just to convimce you maybe. i spoke at length once with a Mission technician who said....in his opinion. the 782 was the best sounding speaker Mission had ever made...

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had the Mission 731LE speakers many years ago, used them with a subwoofer, sold them when I moved to a house with a much bigger listening room.

For a small two-way they were very good and I would recommend them. The white-face 700 mentioned up thread were also a cut above,

One of my brothers has their latest stand mount model (I forget the designation) and advises me that they are very good but I have not heard them myself as cannot visit due to the pandemic.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi. My first pair was 770 Freedom...They had the ability to go very loud, yet maintain absolute control.and.clarity, no matter what was thrown at them... Also had and still have a pair of 760...small.bookshelf type speaker. 99 Pounds and one of the most detailed sounds for so little.money. and on the end of a Yamaha A s2100 sound extraordinary. and with eyes closed.. you'd never believe their tiny size....I have two pairs of my favourites. Mission 782.....the sweetness, refinement and detail.is just mindblowing...have to watch for the original.midranges, which tended to fail.
but there are now replacements available, which are far superior.. I also treated myself to a pair of Mission SX4...floorstanders..in a beautifully seven times lacquered finish....They need careful partnering and a big room.to.do.justice.. If you can get a pair of 782s...I guarantee you won't be disappointed and make.sure the side firing bass units fire outwards....sounds much better...and just to convimce you maybe. i spoke at length once with a Mission technician who said....in his opinion. the 782 was the best sounding speaker Mission had ever made...
Interestingly I also have since 30 years a pair of 760 and had a decade ago a pair of 783 (bigger brother of 782) which I regret selling as I really liked its sound.
When I bought the little and cheap 760 in the 90s I was impressed by their expedient manual writing to place them exactly 20cm from the front wall without toe-in which really worked well for me and they had better imaging then my also goold old large B&W DM 640 which I also keep in my collection till today.

Robin L

Master Contributor
I had my pair of little Mission bookshelf speakers back around 1985. It's so far back, I can't be sure of the model # but think it might have been the 70's. Not the best speaker I've owned, not the worst.

Hatty

Interestingly I also have since 30 years a pair of 760 and had a decade ago a pair of 783 (bigger brother of 782) which I regret selling as I really liked its sound.
When I bought the little and cheap 760 in the 90s I was impressed by their expedient manual writing to place them exactly 20cm from the front wall without toe-in which really worked well for me and they had better imaging then my also goold old large B&W DM 640 which I also keep in my collection till today.
Seems like we followed a similar path as I had some B & W 580s as well.as the litrle 760s....and the Missions were just better....You hardly ever see 783s come up for sale.these days...and no wonder you regret selling them...but quite a lot of good pairs of 782s still show up for sale....I never heard a pair of 783s but the 782s more than hold their own against my SX4s....in fact I listen to.the 782s as a preference...so maybe if you're in the market to retrieve the 783s sound..I can only thoroughly recommend the 782s

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I loved their pre and power with the heatsink as a cast mission sign.

Yes, that dsesign was unique and looked fabulous.

(internet pic)
1618779621098.png

Inside (internet pic)
mission 777.JPG

This is interesting:

http://stancurtis.com/M777.htm

Last edited:

TeBheag

A Small Island to the West of Mainland Europe
My pair of 700's are in the loft. I bought them with my Saturday job pay whilst still at school, late 70's. They've been with me ever since.

One of my children was fascinated by the shiny domes of the tweeters (foam covers long since gone to heaven) and pushed them back into the tweeters. He also liked to store toy cars in the bass port.

So since I still have them and they hold great memories, I might resurrect them... I've no experience with DIY speaker building so where does one start with sourcing new drivers? And is it worth it?

TBH they would probably live in the office driven by a raspberry pi set-up.

Hatty

My pair of 700's are in the loft. I bought them with my Saturday job pay whilst still at school, late 70's. They've been with me ever since.

One of my children was fascinated by the shiny domes of the tweeters (foam covers long since gone to heaven) and pushed them back into the tweeters. He also liked to store toy cars in the bass port.

So since I still have them and they hold great memories, I might resurrect them... I've no experience with DIY speaker building so where does one start with sourcing new drivers? And is it worth it?

TBH they would probably live in the office driven by a raspberry pi set-up.
Plenty of 700 series High Frequency units on Ebay... Usually cost about 20 quid each. I use a french company to source the midranges on my 782s and they are very good and they stock.SEAS high frequency units too.... Don't know if they sell a replacement for the 700 series though....but plenty of second hand units around...

TeBheag

Plenty of 700 series High Frequency units on Ebay... Usually cost about 20 quid each. I use a french company to source the midranges on my 782s and they are very good and they stock.SEAS high frequency units too.... Don't know if they sell a replacement for the 700 series though....but plenty of second hand units around...

Curses! It's doable AND affordable! Next lockdown project methinks... what's the company in La France?

DSJR

Major Contributor
Yes, that dsesign was unique and looked fabulous.

(internet pic)
View attachment 124850

Inside (internet pic)
View attachment 124851

This is interesting:

http://stancurtis.com/M777.htm

Yeah, that casework nearly 'broke' the company I believe as it was so expensive to fabricate - nice amp system as I recall...

I sold Mission from their very beginnings and looking back, I think I can say they either made great classic speakers, or absolute dreck, often on the same range at any one time...

We had half the very first 774 tonearm batch (we had twelve and 'Knightsbridge Audio had the other dozen). of this twelve, four had perfect notch free bearings, four were stiff but free enough and the final four had to go back to re-adjustment. A greatly underestimated arm though but ugly and badly finished, Mission ruined it for springy decks when they went to a very thick, stiff, 'shotgun-style exit cable. No matter, as 'we' shifted over the the Ittok launched in 1980 or so, which in actual fact, sonically ruined the matching springy Linn deck we sold it with usually, at least until the early 1990's or so :D

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Yeah, that casework nearly 'broke' the company I believe as it was so expensive to fabricate

Is that right, how interesting. :) It remains to this day a unique and relatively timeless (brutalist almost) design. I'd love a pair in my collection but I've only ever seen a few over the years, here in Australia, and they had over-heating issues- ironically.

Hatty

Curses! It's doable AND affordable! Next lockdown project methinks... what's the company in La France?
. haha yes..no excuses now. https://en.toutlehautparleur.com/. I use them as I say for Hm130z12 for my 782s... they have 100s if not 1000s of different types...and are not extortionate...61 euro for example of the uprated 782 mids...which is no more than Mission used to charge ...and of a higher quality than the originals. I haven't looked for the HFs for.the 700... Have a gander....but I just looked on EBAY and there are quite a few ...and if your hfs are pushed in but still.work....there is an ingenous method to fix them..so you may not even need to buy new ones. All.you need is the cardboard of a loo roll and some.puff !! Good luck

TeBheag

Thanks Hatty. Just going onto Ebay to spend some cash... this won't be ending well (for the wallet)

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Soft/silk domes can usually be pulled out with leaving crinkles like on hard/metal domes which cause earlier breakup frequencies.
Now about the newer Audax 78x replacement drivers I was and am still sceptical as I haven't seen some comparative measurements of them vs the original ones and also the German Mission agent couldn't provide me such. I had managed to repair mines by heating them smoothly up with a hairdryer as I think the problem was the liquid of the membranes which ran into the voice coils.

TeBheag

You hardly ever see 783s come up for sale.these days...and no wonder you regret selling them...but quite a lot of good pairs of 782s still show up for sale.
Just out of interest (nothing to do with looking on ebay and thinking of redesigning the office as a listening room... honest) - what sort of price is decent for a pair of 738's and 728's..? A pair of each available locally apparently - I mean just out of interest :eek:

Hatty

Soft/silk domes can usually be pulled out with leaving crinkles like on hard/metal domes which cause earlier breakup frequencies.
Now about the newer Audax 78x replacement drivers I was and am still sceptical as I haven't seen some comparative measurements of them vs the original ones and also the German Mission agent couldn't provide me such. I had managed to repair mines by heating them smoothly up with a hairdryer as I think the problem was the liquid of the membranes which ran into the voice coils.
Never been able to repair mine..as the liquid tended to corrode......the haut parleur site does show measurements on their speakers... I can't speak of course for their veracity... but as an example. ••••••
Screenshot_20210419_095910_com.android.chrome.jpg

TeBheag

Yup I tried this when they poked them in about 10/15 years ago (my memory is going) and it kinda-worked... but as they needed packing away from little fingers I took it no further. Interestingly the youngest also poked in the woofer dome on the little Eltax Monitor III's a couple of years ago when he was 12, did both of them just to make sure... bless

Top Bottom