• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mission ZX-2

Buckster

wondered if anyone has tried these and what their opinion was please ?

one of my rear heights (a Tannoy Eyris R) it is over 25 years old) seems to have failed, therefore looking for replacements. It was being used as an Atmos height - so was looking to directly replace that with something like a KEF Q150 or move the pair of JBL A130s at front, and replace those

price range is only around £300 so options are fairly limited, as I said I was looking at KEF Q150 (£300 here in the UK), or Q Acoustics 3030i etc - but stumbled across the Mission ZX-2s for £349 which seem a lot of speaker for the money.

Too long a drive to demo unfortunately. Wondered if anyone had heard them, any measurements online anywhere (couldn't find any). My only option may be to test myself and see how they measure.

they certainly look the part in their D'appolito configuration

many thanks

Penelinfi

Here's a measurement of a previous model

The MTM will probably have a little narrower vertical dispersion but it should be symmetrical.
Ring radiators seem to narrow in dispersion on higher frequencies too.
I'd suspect that the ZX measures ok, but with some dispersion mismatches, that hopefully they tailor to make the in room response somewhat even.

Would be interesting to see how that woofer surround cover affects things

Then again if they are Atmos height speakers I'd definitely be checking the speaker first as maybe it could be a fixable issue

OP
B

Buckster

thanks very much for the link and for taking the time to reply - much appreciated.

if I was to buy these ones they would be used as Front Left/Right and I'd move my JBL A130s to height duties. When I say I'm using a pair of speakers as heights I'd like to clarify they are not exactly positioned perfectly for heights but they do at least give some impression of heights. I have the height speakers on top of existing very tall bookcases, so these heights are about 5 inches from top of speaker to ceiling. It seems to work ok it does elevate the field of sound for sure.

If was replacing specifically as a height speaker I'd go for the KEF Q150s as I think Dual Concentric drivers would work well as heights. They would make good front Left/Rights too I'm sure but I'm concerned even crossed over to whether they'd be dynamic enough for home cinema purposes at higher volumes.

the Missions just dropped a bit more in price - they are now about same price as the KEF Q150s give or take. They seem a lot of speaker for the money from initial look. The QX range seemed to be well reviewed and these are one product line above

GhostMotley

Hello @Buckster, just wondering if you went ahead and got the Mission ZX-2 speakers?

They are still £349 at various retailers (Mission ZX-1 even cheaper at £249) and there are very few reviews for either of these speakers.

OP
B

Buckster

Hello - I didn't go ahead in the end.

The speakers seem fantastic value (I think were even cheap with Ebay discounts), parts seemed very high quality for the money (crossover looked great, drivers looked great) - unfortunately for me though as much of a bargain they seemed

OP
B

Buckster

Hi @GhostMotley - to note these are even cheaper at the moment new via Ebay (20% off) - takes them to something like £289

One thing that made me less tempted (but still am) is that if they didn't work for me as fronts, I have some very very old speakers as rear heights, I could move my rear surrounds to be heights, and use the Missions as rear surrounds, but I think with D'appolito speakers it may be more difficult position wise if I was to use them as rear surrounds ?

OP
B

Buckster

these are even cheaper now - less than £250 a pair !

Top Bottom