• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

mission brand speakers?

anyone have any experience with them? i can not find much information. any review about them?

which mission speaker do you guys have? which one is the best?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I sold Mission for some years. Many of the sales peeps had good success selling Mission and the customers seemed happy. I've seen lots of examples still operating and in working condition up for sale as used. What model of Mission are you thinking about?

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The current and some previous generations of Mission loudspeakers are developed by Peter Comeau who is a long time experienced loudspeaker designer and also responsible for all later Quad, Wharfedale and Castle Acoustics loudspeakers.

I used to have a small budget pair of 760 in the early 90s and a pair of expensive 783 in the 2000s and they were both competitive.

Soundstage

A couple were measured by Stereophile, one at the bottom of their range, the other at the top (a long time ago now):

https://www.stereophile.com/content/mission-m71-loudspeaker-measurements

https://www.stereophile.com/content/mission-pilastro-loudspeaker-measurements

I briefly owned a pair of the M71 many years ago. They were good for a small budget speaker.
So did I. I then moved on to the LS50. The M71 can be found these days for a cheap price in second hand.

raif71

Major Contributor
Currently using Mission MX1 Desktop which I bought around 8 years ago. Still doing well as a setup with full hd 55" tv with yamaha receiver

1604399616260.png

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have 20 year old Mission M5DS Bipolar rear surround speakers in my living room...

1604403163514.png

https://www.hifix.co.uk/mission-m5ds-bipolar-speakers

They have a relatively high WAF value due to their colour and the flush fit back against the wall (I ran cables behind the drywall into a box that's hidden by the speakers)

My introduction to Hi-Fi came in the early 80's from my older brother who saved up some of his first pay packets to buy a setup consisting of a Dual CS-505 turntable, NAD 3020a amplifier and Mission 700 speakers like these...

1604403505235.png

Last edited:
OP
C
I sold Mission for some years. Many of the sales peeps had good success selling Mission and the customers seemed happy. I've seen lots of examples still operating and in working condition up for sale as used. What model of Mission are you thinking about?

oh man their are so many of them. 701.. m 73i .. 760i .. m72.... and m60i all for simillar price second hand. which one would you recommand? thanks a lot!

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Just buy whatever sounds the best to you. I've never been a Mission follower or push it when selling and so I have not memorized all the models from over the years. They are good speakers I simply had other things on the go.

Blank Verse

anyone have any experience with them? i can not find much information. any review about them?

which mission speaker do you guys have? which one is the best?
When I was a kid (30 years ago) I had a Luxman HiFi system (Amplifier, Tape Deck, CD, Radio Tuner) in my room that my dad bought, which was connected to different rooms in our house. In my room it was connected through two Mission monitor speakers and they were excellent. They still are, but the amplifier module needs service. I remember thinking back then that it was hard to believe the sound those Mission speakers made based on their relative small size.

holbob

oh man their are so many of them. 701.. m 73i .. 760i .. m72.... and m60i all for simillar price second hand. which one would you recommand? thanks a lot!

M73i were my first hifi loudspeakers and the only floor standers I've ever owned. I think of them fondly :cool:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I've got a pair of M-53 floor standers here in my speaker wall from around 2004. Very solidly built and impressive performers.

Mine are black. Here's an internet pic of the beech version.
1618732709205.png

I probably should connect them up and blow the cobwebs out.

Vini darko

Major Contributor
I have two sets of mission floorstanders. 733i and m35i both heavily modified. Have been considering picking up the current QX2 as it's an intresting little speaker and fairly cheap here in the UK.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I have two sets of mission floorstanders. 733i and m35i both heavily modified. Have been considering picking up the current QX2 as it's an intresting little speaker and fairly cheap here in the UK.

When I bought my M-53s (2nd hand but mint and only a few months old at the time), they were missing the unusual triangular LF-HF tie bars for the bi-wiring terminals. I emailed Mission in the UK asking to buy a set and received a lovely reply from an employee and two complete sets of the terminals sent to me in Australia for free.

These (internet pic):
1618732961727.png

Very soon after, IAG bought out Mission. (2005?) I often wonder what happened to their wonderful support staff in the UK.

Vini darko

Major Contributor
When I bought my M-53s (2nd hand but mint and only a few months old at the time), they were missing the unusual triangular LF-HF tie bars for the bi-wiring terminals. I emailed Mission in the UK asking to buy a set and received a lovely reply from an employee and two complete sets of the terminals sent to me in Australia for free.

These (internet pic):
View attachment 124724

Very soon after, IAG bought out Mission. (2005?) I often wonder what happened to their wonderful support staff in the UK.
That's decent of them to send to OZ :D I don't know what the state of customer service is currently like.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
That's decent of them to send to OZ :D I don't know what the state of customer service is currently like.

Yes, you never forget excellent customer service do you. Maybe a small thing to them, but an awesome gesture to someone on the other side of the world. It's one of the reasons I still own them, because of the interaction with Mission in the UK.

I bought the M-53s on a whim, as I was living in an enormous warehouse loft apartment conversion and my normal speakers were in long term storage. I paid about AU$900pr when they were AU$1899-$2099 new. The small standmounts I had taken up with me were simply a waste of time in a big space, and the DCM Timewindow 1as just didn't work either. Didn't want to unpack my storeroom which was 75km away just to get a decent pair of speakers out.

They seriously impressed me, filling the void-like space (35ft raked ceilings on 45 degree angles) with a big sound. I ran them pretty hard several times on my big Sony N77es amps and they never missed a beat. Then I bought a pair of Jamo 507ii and the Missions got retired for a bit (or ran on speakers B).

simbloke

Forum Donor
When I was young they seemed to be everywhere, like B&W, now I never here of them. Wonder what happened. Did their electronics become Cyrus?

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The brothers that started Mission used consultant engineers for the designs and were pretty thorough iirc, one of my friends was one of the consultants. They eventually split things up and sold bits of it - for a while their operation just licensed technology - it was their company that came up with NXT and BMR technology and patented it. This company was dissolved about 5 years ago - maybe they sold the patents?
I had a Mission arm on my Thorens TD125 TT (my daughter still has it) and imo it was one of the best thought through arms around at that time.
I loved their pre and power with the heatsink as a cast mission sign. Cyrus was originally one of the model names but it transmogrified into a company name with one of the sell offs, I believe.
I remember going to listen to some of their prototype BMR and NXT drivers around 20 years ago.
I do have some of the cardboard NXT speakers with chip amp which they used to sell to show off the technology - they are impressive, but perhaps because they work at all!

Top Bottom