• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ICEPower 125ASX2 Class D Amplifier Review

EB1000

So I found what looks like v2 on EBay shipping from no other than Wuhan. $150 shipped (to Canada). The unit arrived and it works. It really looks like a real v2 from pics and the explainer video someone posted here. Here are pics of the v2. And this is the v1.

I never heard of a V1 or V2. I've checked with profusion.com - the official ICE distributor, and they are not aware of a new version:

https://www.profusionplc.com/parts/icepower125asx2

Also no such info about different versions on the Icepower site:

https://icepower.dk/products/amplifier-power-modules/asx-series/

Who told you about a v2? If it's the seller on Ebay, then it could be him trying to prevent you from noticing that the module looks different from the genuine one...

lightrush

I never heard of a V1 or V2. I've checked with profusion.com - the official ICE distributor, and they are not aware of a new version:

https://www.profusionplc.com/parts/icepower125asx2

Also no such info about different versions on the Icepower site:

https://icepower.dk/products/amplifier-power-modules/asx-series/

Who told you about a v2? If it's the seller on Ebay, then it could be him trying to prevent you from noticing that the module looks different from the genuine one...

It was posted in this thread a few pages back:

I'm using the same terminology. There are differences in the caps, bridge, aux power and the input section. The unit in the Yamaha WXA-50 uses the "v2" version. Most units on EBay are the "v1" version.

You can spot a lot of differences on the boards. "v2" is on the left and "v1" on the right.
PXL_20210129_174028832.NIGHT-COLLAGE.jpg

Last edited:

EB1000

It was posted in this thread a few pages back:

I'm using the same terminology. There are differences in the caps, bridge, aux power and the input section. The unit in the Yamaha WXA-50 uses the "v2" version. Most units on EBay are the "v1" version.

You can spot a lot of differences on the boards. "v2" is on the left and "v1" on the right.
View attachment 109566
OK. Not sure if V1 is genuine, but all modules from Profusion are v2 only. I suspect that the V1 is non genuine module from China...

lightrush

OK. Not sure if V1 is genuine, but all modules from Profusion are v2 only. I suspect that the V1 is non genuine module from China...

Yeah, or an earlier obsolete version. 125ACX2 is at least a decade old module so it makes perfect sense for multiple iterations to exist. The majority of the stock on EBay is the old version. But this one seller I linked in my original post ships the proper one for $150. I was in fact very surprised it really was a v2. I thought their pics were probably wrong, but no, it's the real thing.

lightrush

BTW, for proof that there was an earlier version, look no further than the picture in the official datasheet. The unit pictured in it is *not* the "v2" layout. It's the older one, like the ones from EBay.

EB1000

The v2 sounds great in BTL mode, way better than the internal amp on both of my Denon A4400X and Yamaha A2700 from my experience. However, even in BTL mode, the maximum continues power is 100W @ 0.01% THD. However, testing the module in BTL using the Dyno AD-1, dynamic power before clipping has reached 375W, so it has plenty of reserve, despite the very small caps of the switching power supply.

lightrush

It's very likely that Amir tested a v1 unit in the Ghent box. I'm really curious to see if that could explain the differences in measurements of the unit he tested and the Yamaha WXA-50 which uses a v2.

naviivan

I have the V1 Ebay version -Used it for around 6months and now I have 1 channel that keeps shutting down after around 15mins.
The times when it was working it sounded great.

EB1000

I have the V1 Ebay version -Used it for around 6months and now I have 1 channel that keeps shutting down after around 15mins.
Cheaper usually costs more. I have 7 V2 modules working in BTL over 2 years now. No issues. I'm sure the V2 sounds better as well

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm sure the V2 sounds better as well
That is not what the video summarized. I believe the changes are more in reliability than in sound performance. Remember that v1.0 was used in the measurements of the datasheet after all.

summary.jpg

EB1000

That is not what the video summarized. I believe the changes are more in reliability than in sound performance. Remember that v1.0 was used in the measurements of the datasheet after all.

View attachment 109854
If both sound the same, it's a clear proof that caps don't matter. Either way, I would avoid the V1 due to serious reliability issues.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If both sound the same, it's a clear proof that caps don't matter. Either way, I would avoid the V1 due to serious reliability issues.
Reliability and parts availability are both valid reasons for a board revision. It does not have to be all about performance.

lightrush

Haha, one of the two v1s I have died just last week. The power light (Ghent box) started blinking in what is most probably some troubleshooting code pattern.

JoostE

Damn that is a pitty. I just replaced mine by some other amps (linn), if you are in Europe, I can sell one to you?

MenloBob

I have a bunch of V1 boards, some from ebay and some salvaged from vocopro amps when they were steeply discounted. Haven't had a single failure in bridged mode. I do use larger cases than the Ghents that I found cheap on ebay. I wonder if heat dissipation is an issue in smaller cases.

lightrush

Mine run in the 50s °C in Ghent with *covers off* at 25°C ambient temperature. I've ordered some Noctua low profile fans that I'm planning to install to move air. I'm pretty sure the temps are going to drop dramatically then and longevity is going to increase. Caps running at 30°C are much happier than caps at 55°C.

EB1000

Mine run in the 50s °C in Ghent with *covers off* at 25°C ambient temperature. I've ordered some Noctua low profile fans that I'm planning to install to move air. I'm pretty sure the temps are going to drop dramatically then and longevity is going to increase. Caps running at 30°C are much happier than caps at 55°C.

Caps rated at 105°C don't really care if it's 55°C or 25°C

lightrush

They do actually. I believe the rule of thumb was half the lifetime every 10°C up. So while they can and will operate at 105°C, they will only do so for several thousand hours at that temperature, which is the typical lifetime rating of electrolytic capacitors. Conversely, their life doubles every 10°C down from their rating. So if the rating is 2000 hours at 105°C, you get 4000 hours at 95, 8000 at 85, 64000 at 55 and 250000 hours at 35°C. If you keep them on 24/7/365 like I do, then running them at 105°C, they'll be dead in less than a year. At 55 they'll last 7 years and at 35°C - 29 years. In my case I don't plan on changing the amps in 7 years so bringing the temp down would extend their life beyond that.

IowAudio

Forum Donor

Ellisr63

Does anyone know how many volts are needed to drive the 125asx2 to full power... I am trying to setup my MiniDSP DDRC88A and I need to set the output gains to match the 125asx. My choices are 4v or 8v.

Last edited:
Top Bottom