• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Okto dac8 stereo DAC Review

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I used to connect my Schiit Gungnir via USB to the USB port on the front of the x4700h (I asked Denon directly if it was possible and they confirmed). Am I missing something here then? Thanks.
Sorry, you lost me here. I see that the Gungnir has a USB input. Are you saying that you were able to get a USB audio output from your AVR?

Sorry, I’m not a HT guy... I only do stereo with subs (2.2). I believe if you want surround sound you will need a device or software to decode and provide the appropriate signal for each channel. I guess it would depend on your priorities whether you want to optimize for music or HT. For music, go minimal with the best SINAD you can get, that has been my philosophy so far.

Have a read at the equipment reviews Amir has published.
I understand. My priority is my 2.1 setup at the moment. A center speaker will come later, after I'm decided on a quality combo. I've read many of the @amirm reviews; he's one of the major reasons I returned my x4700h. I'm really interested in the Okto for the higher dynamic range.

Sorry, you lost me here. I see that the Gungnir has a USB input. Are you saying that you were able to get a USB audio output from your AVR?
I'm not sure of the proper audio terminology but I was told that an external DAC could be used as the primary DAC for the DENON AVR when plugged into the receiver directly from the front USB port (or RCAs) since it is asynchronous. I asked them directly during their live 2020 Denon AVR line-up rollout conferences.

EchoChamber

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I understand. My priority is my 2.1 setup at the moment. A center speaker will come later, after I'm decided on a quality combo. I've read many of the @amirm reviews; he's one of the major reasons I returned my x4700h. I'm really interested in the Okto for the higher dynamic range.
I think you might find that a 2.1 or 2.2 setup is all you need. You'll get a good center image with a good system and decent speaker placement. I'd keep it simple. In my current set up I get a wide sound stage beyond the edges of my speakers (depending on the music played of course). And movies have a big presence, no surround effects, but I don't really miss it, and that also keeps the system more manageable.

I think you might find that a 2.1 or 2.2 setup is all you need. You'll get a good center image with a good system and decent speaker placement. I'd keep it simple. In my current set up I get a wide sound stage beyond the edges of my speakers (depending on the music played of course). And movies have a big presence, no surround effects, but I don't really miss it, and that also keeps the system more manageable.
I completely agree. When I had the x4700 with just my 2.0 setup it was impactful enough for me, with music, games, movies, etc. I seek simplicity as well, that's why this device's SINAD score inticed me so much.

Labjr

Major Contributor

I've installed a few surround systems over the years. And they still call me with issues. Some of them can't even turn their equipment on. They probably need to hire a projectionist everytime they want to watch a movie. I don't use surround myself. No room for all of that. It's neat but some of the audio seems greatly exaggerated for cinematic effect.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not sure of the proper audio terminology but I was told that an external DAC could be used as the primary DAC for the DENON AVR when plugged into the receiver directly from the front USB port (or RCAs) since it is asynchronous. I asked them directly during their live 2020 Denon AVR line-up rollout conferences.
I have no idea what you are talking about. Do you mean analog out from your dac into the analog in of the AVR?

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
I completely agree. When I had the x4700 with just my 2.0 setup it was impactful enough for me, with music, games, movies, etc. I seek simplicity as well, that's why this device's SINAD score inticed me so much.
Yes, and so far IME, the SINAD is a big indicator of sound quality. Even between my D90 MQA and Modius I can tell the D90 has a small edge over it in clarity. So I became a little obsessed with the SINAD and the Octo dac8 Stereo is possibly the best DAC ever designed and produced for home use to date.

Last edited:

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
I've installed a few surround systems over the years. And they still call me with issues. Some of them can't even turn their equipment on. They probably need to hire a projectionist everytime they want to watch a movie. I don't use surround myself. No room for all of that. It's neat but some of the audio seems greatly exaggerated for cinematic effect.
I'm with you. I think the Sonos model is the way of the future for high end audio. It eliminates so many variables and possible mismatches and issues. My dream system would be something similar to what Genelec offers with the 8300 series speakers but fully wireless and DSD native. One could add speakers as needed for stereo or surround systems.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
USB input from the Gungnir directly into the front USB audio port on the x4700h.
That’s an input to input. Have you tried this?
To address your situation more broadly if you want just 2.0 only then you will need a DAC8 stereo and a good amp like a hypex, puriFi, our Benchmark. I don’t see any way to support subwoofers with crossovers with one DAC8 stereo.

Last edited:
That’s an input to input. Have you tried this?
To address your situation more broadly if you want just 2.0 only then you will need a DAC8 stereo and a good amp like a hypex, puriFi, our Benchmark. I don’t see any way to support subwoofers with crossovers and on DAC8 stereo.
That I understand, the Denon representative assured me it would work. I did and could hear the audible difference (with other witnesses); again he said something about the connection being asynchronous. I believe I saved the chat text from that day somewhere. Not sure how it all works; and not trying to confuse. Thanks for the recommendations. So with one of those amps, connected directly to the DAC8 stereo, I can power my Triangle speakers (2.1) for both music (pc / roon) and my TV (Xbox)? Would I have subwoofer support? Or should I go the Denon AVR (HDMI) / DAC8 stereo route? I just need to be able to listen to my Xbox as well. Thank you.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That I understand, the Denon representative assured me it would work. I did and could hear the audible difference (with other witnesses); again he said something about the connection being asynchronous. I believe I saved the chat text from that day somewhere. Not sure how it all works; and not trying to confuse. Thanks for the recommendations. So with one of those amps, connected directly to the DAC8 stereo, I can power my Triangle speakers (2.1) for both music (pc / roon) and my TV (Xbox)? Would I have subwoofer support? Or should I go the Denon AVR (HDMI) / DAC8 stereo route? I just need to be able to listen to my Xbox as well. Thank you.
The DAC8 stereo does not support subwoofer integration . There is no point in using it with an AVR unless it’s an either or situation where you use only the AVR for movies and only the DAC for music with a mechanical or relay switch. I don’t think this product is right for your situation.

The DAC8 stereo does not support subwoofer integration . There is no point in using it with an AVR unless it’s an either or situation where you use only the AVR for movies and only the DAC for music with a mechanical or relay switch. I don’t think this product is right for your situation.
I see. Which mechanical / relay switch would you recommend and would it be able to retain the higher sound quality? I could buy both soon (Denon AVR / DAC8 stereo), would that fit both my needs?

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I see. Which mechanical / relay switch would you recommend and would it be able to retain the higher sound quality? I could buy both soon (Denon AVR / DAC8 stereo), would that fit both my needs?
I’m trying to figure out the switch situation myself. I think I’m going to try an ARX rs-1. Again, I don’t see a solution for you using the DAC8 stereo with a sub. I’m going to try the DAC8 pro with a DSP crossover in front.

I’m trying to figure out the switch situation myself. I think I’m going to try an ARX rs-1. Again, I don’t see a solution for you using the DAC8 stereo with a sub. I’m going to try the DAC8 pro with a DSP crossover in front.
I looked into it and can see why. If it does what it says it sounds ideal. Please let us know the results, if you end up doing it. It sounds like it makes logical sense.

AudioStudies

Again, I don’t see a solution for you using the DAC8 stereo with a sub
Some subs are equipped with crossovers to allow feeding audio to the sub first, and then back out to the other speakers.

Top Bottom