• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Okto dac8 stereo DAC Review

Vasr

Major Contributor
Thinking a combination of the following would be really interesting and give state of the art performance for 2 channel audio with subs while allowing for HT bypass

MiniDSP SHD Studio , AES out for L+R plus 1 or 2 sub channels
Okto Dac8Pro
ARX RS-1 with trigger controlled by AVR or DAC8

For multichannel audio a PC could be hooked up to the Okto DAC8 Pro USB port directly

I would really like to see the ARX RS-1 measured to verify that its just a relay with no signal degradation.

Wayne

If you are going to hook up a PC, why not just use Okto 8Pro for everything instead of the expensive and complicated solution above? Whatever MiniDSP SHD does can be done within the PC including Dirac that will work now on both HT and Music.

I posted detailed instructions to get set up for just that scenario in this thread.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ring-a-pc-as-a-8-ch-pre-pro-experiment.14785/

If you want to use multiple subs, you can do 5.2 without anything else. You can also do 7.2 if you don't need to do separate EQ on each sub.

If you want to do 7.1 AND 2.2 AND you want to eq the subs separately, then you need a more complicated set up.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you are going to hook up a PC, why not just use Okto 8Pro for everything instead of the expensive and complicated solution above? Whatever MiniDSP SHD does can be done within the PC including Dirac that will work now on both HT and Music.

I posted detailed instructions to get set up for just that scenario in this thread.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ring-a-pc-as-a-8-ch-pre-pro-experiment.14785/

If you want to use multiple subs, you can do 5.2 without anything else. You can also do 7.2 if you don't need to do separate EQ on each sub.

If you want to do 7.1 AND 2.2 AND you want to eq the subs separately, then you need a more complicated set up.
I do not use nor want to use a PC. I use a streamer with digital output and an AVR for HT bypass as my only sources.

From your thread: "It is really not a satisfactory replacement for an AVR because you cannot have a convenient IR remote for everything, content with DRM can be a problem and the new codecs with more than 8-ch are out of the scope. "

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Thinking a combination of the following would be really interesting and give state of the art performance for 2 channel audio with subs while allowing for HT bypass

Okto Dac8Pro

For multichannel audio a PC could be hooked up to the Okto DAC8 Pro USB port directly

I would really like to see the ARX RS-1 measured to verify that its just a relay with no signal degradation.

Wayne
The ARX RS-1 is stereo only, 2 inputs. I just bought one of these: https://www.zenproaudio.com/coleman-audio-7-1sw

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yikes. (Drool). I looked into building something similar from scratch - parts cost (qty.1) came out just under that.
Very nice. Assume you will report back on it, tho I'd just expect it to Work. (Clicks, noise on switching, etc.)
Thanks Kal!!

Vasr

Major Contributor
I do not use nor want to use a PC. I use a streamer with digital output and an AVR for HT bypass as my only sources.

From your thread: "It is really not a satisfactory replacement for an AVR because you cannot have a convenient IR remote for everything, content with DRM can be a problem and the new codecs with more than 8-ch are out of the scope. "

Sure. I mentioned that option only because of your earlier statement

I didn't realize you were only talking about music content from the PC.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The ARX RS-1 is stereo only, 2 inputs. I just bought one of these: https://www.zenproaudio.com/coleman-audio-7-1sw
1) I actually only need one stereo switch as my subs (JL-F113V2) have two inputs, can use the rca from the AVR and XLR from DAC
2) 2 ARX RS-1s are cheaper than one coleman unit, with other subs I might need 2, havent seen the need for more channels (maybe if using a prepro)
3) can the coleman unit be controlled by a 12V trigger? If so it could work for me. need something that just works when my family pushes watch a movie on the harmony remote.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Someone had posted his solution (I cannot remember which thread) for the above issue using a pre-amp with HT bypass using this

https://www.parasound.com/200_Pre.php
My Anthem STR Preamp actually does everything I need without needing any external switches. Just around 100dB SINAD instead of the 118dB that I long for (not saying I can hear the difference, the engineer in me just strives for the state of the art measurements).

Also, if I ever get into multichannel PC based music an 8-channel DAC would be nice.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Yikes. (Drool). I looked into building something similar from scratch - parts cost (qty.1) came out just under that.
Very nice. Assume you will report back on it, tho I'd just expect it to Work. (Clicks, noise on switching, etc.)
I bought it with assurances that the switching is silent from both the manufacturer and the seller (who used it).
3) can the coleman unit be controlled by a 12V trigger? If so it could work for me. need something that just works when my family pushes watch a movie on the harmony remote.
I assume it can be adapted to something like that but not out of the box. From the manufacturer:
1. Is the switching silent or are there transient noises?
The switching is silent
2. Is the switching “make-before-break?”
It’s not make before break since it is a relay
3. What is the physical switch? Relay-based?
All switching is relay. I use an Omron relay that was used as the record relay in the Otair tape decks back in the day. It’s just a ground closure that triggers the relay.

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That pair has similar issue as the Okto pair even if they are not in the same league as Okto. If you want volume control and source switching, you get only stereo. If you want multi-channel, you don't get switching and you don't get volume control (unlike Okto). Like Okto, these also leave you wishing for a mashup of the two.
Unfortunately that is the state of things now: if you are not happy with those subpar AVR/Ps, you are on your own and must solve 100s of issues like that by yourself. Proper multichannel without an AVR/P is a serious world of pain.
And the multichannel/movie/music/etc industries do everything they can to keep it that way.

haraldo

Okto Dac8Pro

Wayne

Guess you could daisychain the MiniDSP studio for more channels

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Guess you could daisychain the MiniDSP studio for more channels
Really no need for me as I'm a stereo music listener and multichannel movie watcher

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1) I actually only need one stereo switch as my subs (JL-F113V2) have two inputs, can use the rca from the AVR and XLR from DAC
2) 2 ARX RS-1s are cheaper than one coleman unit, with other subs I might need 2, havent seen the need for more channels (maybe if using a prepro)

I asked some questions to ARX on the RS-1, here are the responses, looks promising:

1)What is the difference between RS-1 and RS-2? RS1 switches inputs (female XLRS) RS2 switches outputs (male XLRs)
2) Are there any active circuits in the signal path or is it just a relay? No active circuitry, just DC blocking capacitors
3) Any maximum signal level, SNR, or distortion specs? In practice no.
4) Would a consumer AVR 12V trigger work to switch? Yes, should work fine.

Hello everyone. I'm new here, and have limited knowledge on audio products so I'd like to hear your opinions on something: Would getting a cheaper AVR (for example: Denon S960h) to pair with a Okto dac8 stereo be "better" (for both HT / 2.1 "bit-perfect" audio better than getting a higher-end AVR (such as a Denon x2700 or x3700) which have the Audyssey MultiEQ / XT functionality? Additionally, for a 2.1 / 3.1 system in a small-to-medium sized living room space (similar to @amirm's) realistically, how much of a benefit would the Audyssey system work? Does it even matter if you're pairing the AVR with such a great stereo DAC like the Okto? Thank you in advanced.

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
Hello everyone. I'm new here, and have limited knowledge on audio products so I'd like to hear your opinions on something: Would getting a cheaper AVR (for example: Denon S960h) to pair with a Okto dac8 stereo be "better" (for both HT / 2.1 "bit-perfect" audio better than getting a higher-end AVR (such as a Denon x2700 or x3700) which have the Audyssey MultiEQ / XT functionality? Additionally, for a 2.1 / 3.1 system in a small-to-medium sized living room space (similar to @amirm's) realistically, how much of a benefit would the Audyssey system work? Does it even matter if you're pairing the AVR with such a great stereo DAC like the Okto? Thank you in advanced.
Hi, welcome to ASR!

If you are looking to use eq, you can use a source computer and/or Roon to give you that functionality through software. And you could use the Okto to drive powered speakers or an amp and passive speakers (that last arrangement is where I intend to Okto dac8 stereo). For optimal SINAD, all analog connections need to be balanced.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
AVRs don’t pair with external DACs as AVRs don’t have digital audio outputs(spdif or toslink). For home theater you would need a switch to bypass the dac .

Hi, welcome to ASR!

If you are looking to use eq, you can use a source computer and/or Roon to give you that functionality through software. And you could use the Okto to drive powered speakers or an amp and passive speakers (that last arrangement is where I intend to Okto dac8 stereo). For optimal SINAD, all analog connections need to be balanced.
Thank you for the quick reply and information overall! This is my current setup: LG C9 --> 8K cable --> Xbox One X (for HT). My speakers are a pair of Triangle Comete EZs using BlueJean locking banana plug cables that USED TO connect to my Denon x4700H. My priority is the best musical output; when I used my x4700h I would hook up my PC via HDMI (which I know is digital and still has the 8 channel bug), so if I could use Roon for EQ, it shouldn't really matter what AVR I get? I mentioned the S960H because it still has 8K for gaming so can I pair that with the Okto? Again, for HT would you recommend this combo for great sound via my Xbox for a 3.1 system? Thanks again.

AVRs don’t pair with external DACs as AVRs don’t have digital audio outputs(spdif or toslink). For home theater you would need a switch to bypass the dac .
I used to connect my Schiit Gungnir via USB to the USB port on the front of the x4700h (I asked Denon directly if it was possible and they confirmed). Am I missing something here then? Thanks.

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
Thank you for the quick reply and information overall! This is my current setup: LG C9 --> 8K cable --> Xbox One X (for HT). My speakers are a pair of Triangle Comete EZs using BlueJean locking banana plug cables that USED TO connect to my Denon x4700H. My priority is the best musical output; when I used my x4700h I would hook up my PC via HDMI (which I know is digital and still has the 8 channel bug), so if I could use Roon for EQ, it shouldn't really matter what AVR I get? I mentioned the S960H because it still has 8K for gaming so can I pair that with the Okto? Again, for HT would you recommend this combo for great sound via my Xbox for a 3.1 system? Thanks again.
Sorry, I’m not a HT guy... I only do stereo with subs (2.2). I believe if you want surround sound you will need a device or software to decode and provide the appropriate signal for each channel. I guess it would depend on your priorities whether you want to optimize for music or HT. For music, go minimal with the best SINAD you can get, that has been my philosophy so far.

Have a read at the equipment reviews Amir has published.

Top Bottom