• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Vidar Amplifier Review

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

raindance

Major Contributor
I understand that this amp uses a sliding bias scheme that is quite complex to keep the weight and size down.

digicidal

Major Contributor
Totally agree. In itself the Vidar is OK I guess, but then you have this competition which just betters it significantly for similar price and more convenient (lighter, cooler).
That's why I stick with the "horrible compromises of Class-D amps" according to those who will likely chime in eventually. And at least thus far... no melted tweeters in anything I've connected them to. ;) I definitely prefer the aesthetics of the Schiit amp... just not enough to sacrifice everything else.

blodsbror

Poseidons Voice

Forum Donor
As I read it, the Schiit Vidar is “good enough” for the price. And that’s about it. Other than power output which is a small factor for those with efficient speakers, it doesn’t raise any eyebrows whatsoever. One step above a headless panther.

By comparison the Jeff Rowland 535 should be a headless panther. It has a terrible value other than the pretty chassis.

And a THD vs. frequency would be nice to have along with IMD measurements.

Best,
Anand.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there any reason to go with the Vidar over something like this, for a similar price ? Of course, it's not comparing apples to apples techincally - but if clean/strong amplification is all you want (which I can somehow think is most people), then cosmetics aside - the below, seems very good value.

https://www.nordacoustics.co.uk/product-page/nord-one-se-mp-nc500-stereo-power-amp-in-silver
The Nord One SE MP NC502 class D gives clean output power, cool running, efficiency and it's also a good looking unit.
The class AB Schiit Vidar is inefficient comparatively, runs hotter but is easily serviced with most components commonly available off the shelf. If you have ever serviced a complex SMD PWM power supply and associated class D amp circuitry too you'll see that it's much more difficult to service and the parts are not as common if available at all. I would expect the plate amp assembly would simply be swapped out. Otherwise they are both great units.

Colonel7

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Is there any reason to go with the Vidar over something like this, for a similar price ? Of course, it's not comparing apples to apples techincally - but if clean/strong amplification is all you want (which I can somehow think is most people), then cosmetics aside - the below, seems very good value.

https://www.nordacoustics.co.uk/product-page/nord-one-se-mp-nc500-stereo-power-amp-in-silver
Nice to see the Schiit do fine but as others have stated there is Crown at a lower price with more power, and higher NC and other performers at similar price range. Does Schiit usually do 5 year warranty? Besides form factor maybe they are trying to differentiate that way too.

The field is crowded

Poseidons Voice

Forum Donor
“Otherwise they are both great units.”

Other than the fact that the aforementioned Nord unit would obliterate the Schiit Vidar in all objective performance metrics and from personal experience also sounds subjectively excellent ;)

Best,
Anand.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
“Otherwise they are both great units.”

Other than the fact that the aforementioned Nord unit would obliterate the Schiit Vidar in all objective performance metrics and from personal experience also sounds subjectively excellent ;)

Best,
Anand.
The specs on the Nord One SE MP NC502 are kinda vague but they do claim a massive amounts of power output but at what frequency response and what distortion? Obliteration would cease to exist at the very first issue that the Nord One SE MP NC502 has due to it being surface mount devices, pulse width modulation power supply with proprietary class D componentry. They really are so different it's not even a comparison other than bang for buck wattage off the line and even at that I have not seen definitive specs on the Nord One SE MP NC502.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
LOL... Yes, of course I can repair a class AB amp. I've repaired some thousands of them, some thousands of PWM power supplies. SMD and through hole are both in my repertoire. I would not suggest that the SMD class D is a dog repair unless it where true. From trying to acquire parts to working the PCB it's a pain in the ass especially for noobs. It's a swap item... board swap not repair.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
LOL... Yes, of course I can repair a class AB amp. I've repaired some thousands of them, some thousands of PWM power supplies. SMD and through hole are both in my repertoire. I would not suggest that the SMD class D is a dog repair unless it where true. From trying to acquire parts to working the PCB it's a pain in the ass especially for noobs. It's a swap item... board swap not repair.
IMO the best thing about class D modularity is that is trivial for any end user to remove a damaged board and just replace it with a new one. Yes, a little wasteful, but this is our 21st century culture of disposable items.

digicidal

Major Contributor
It's a swap item... board swap not repair.
For some of us, that's not necessarily a distinction as they would both be a "swap item" situation out of warranty. Although if I knew it was just a single component that was bad I could probably hold the iron steady enough to give it a try... as to figuring out which? If I don't see the magic smoke escape, I'm pretty much stabbing in the dark. :p

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
IMO the best thing about class D modularity is that is trivial for any end user to remove a damaged board and just replace it with a new one. Yes, a little wasteful, but this is our 21st century culture of disposable items.
I agree. It's progress. Frankly I'm warming up to the whole class D thing.

digicidal

Major Contributor
With the nominal resources involved, and depending on weight, size, and country of origin - likely the disposal waste is only slightly greater than shipping and other factors. At least as long as the modules themselves are made it's not throwing everything in the dumpster - so there's a bit of a gain perhaps. Not like the majority of consumer goods (especially electronics) are environmentally friendly regardless. On the other hand, just sitting in a grass hut and meditating all day gets a bit monotonous IMO. :cool:

wwenze

Major Contributor

Well yea, if the JR 535 spoils, the replacement class D module costs less than 10% of the product cost.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well yea, if the JR 535 spoils, the replacement class D module costs less than 10% of the product cost.
Agree, but then, it is not a problem caused by the class D modularity but rather a very questionable value proposition of the brand. :)

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Why does this simple, basic power amplifier have what appears to be a microprocessor in it? What is there to microprocess?
:oops:

1587041788887.png

Top Bottom