• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anyone else just not bothered by home theatre?

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Room is 13' 3" (4.04 m) wide by 17' 7" (5.36 m) deep (long) by 8' 6" (2.59 m). It has floating walls and ceiling, floor is concrete (basement), and has its own mini-split for HVAC, so is isolated from the rest of the house. Heavily treated though I have pulled some down to slide the Salon2's a little more forward (they are deep).

It's a very modest room and the speakers sort of dominate but it's my room so I don't care... I did get opinions from Floyd and Kevin at Harman, mainly to be sure the sound would coalesce when I was fairly close, and they agreed it would be fine. They disagreed on whether I should get them or something else (Floyd favored Gem2's mounted higher), but this was a few years ago when they had a run of blems and I got a fantastic deal.

Interesting. I expected a much larger area. And, if memory serves, you have Rythmik subwoofers in there too. :) I'm impressed that it all works well.

I totally get the "it's my room so I don't care" aspect. My music-only system (the one with Salon2s) is in our living room, and while I get some comments from various people about why the speakers have to be out from walls so far, or why so many cables need to be visible, and I get a few sneers when I tell them it's because that's the way I wanted it. Or why the sectional sofa has to be in a seemingly odd position, because I wanted to sit in a certain position relative to the speakers and away from the back wall. Some people just have different priorities than I do.

When some folks have asked why I don't use surround speakers in our HT room, I've answered that because it's only 16'x14' there isn't enough room for anything but 2.0 or 2.1. I guess I'll have to come up with a new reason, like I just didn't want to.

Last edited:

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not obsessive over it, I don't think there's anything in any movie or tv show which really requires or deserves first class reproduction; I do like the intelligibility that a good center channel offers, and the ambience provided by surrounds is quite nice. Beyond that, I'm just not enticed. There's not much art in the soundtrack of a video source in my opinion, perhaps I'm just a philistine.

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you’ve never heard a nice/properly set up MCH DVD-A or SACD music disc, you really are missing out.

I'll buy that, having heard a few in other peoples' homes and at dealers, but isn't the choice of audio content rather limited?

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Interesting. I expected a much larger area. And, if memory serves, you have Rythmik subwoofers in there too. :) I'm impressed that it all works well.

I totally get the "it's my room so I don't care" aspect. My music-only system (the one with Salon2s) is in our living room, and while I get some comments from various people about why the speakers have to be out from walls so far, or why so many cables need to be visible, and I get a few sneers when I tell it's because that's the way I wanted it. Or why the sectional sofa has to be in a seemingly odd position, because I wanted to sit in a certain position relative to the speakers and away from the back wall. Some people just have different priorities than I do.

When some folks have asked why I don't use surround speakers in our HT room, I've answered that because it's only 16'x14' there isn't enough room for anything but 2.0 or 2.1. I guess I'll have to come up with a new reason, like I just didn't want to.

Some pretty poor pix here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ght-our-current-setups.564/page-6#post-102730 -- need a fisheye lens or just to take more time to give a better perspective.

You could certainly do 5.1 but if you don't care why bother? OTOH you may be missing out. As for priorities, see e.g. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...havent-done-this-fun-thread.8053/#post-197491

PolkFan

Forum Donor
If I want to experience joy and the sound of birds all around, I go outdoors. :p

As a PC+Audio guy the out doors is to 90's

VR with dolby atmos+ Ray Tracing

right now in the US everyone is telling us to stay inside lol

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll buy that, having heard a few in other peoples' homes and at dealers, but isn't the choice of audio content rather limited?
Yes, to some extent. I wish it would have caught on more but it is what it is.
BluRay audio is another option.

I only have 5.1 (2 subs) and listen to 2 channel (pure direct) as well. I enjoy both and sometimes listen to music via ProLogic II Music or DTS NEO:X Music

My 2 channel only rig is more basic

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Some pretty poor pix here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ght-our-current-setups.564/page-6#post-102730 -- need a fisheye lens or just to take more time to give a better perspective.

You could certainly do 5.1 but if you don't care why bother? OTOH you may be missing out. As for priorities, see e.g. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...havent-done-this-fun-thread.8053/#post-197491

Pretty amazing set-up. Experiencing it would be fascinating.

As for 5.1 in the HT room, I wouldn't bother, especially since my wife is the big video watcher in the family, and she's never asked for it. But every male friend I have who sees the HT room tells me about their 5.x to 9.x system and wants to know why I'm such a luddite, so I need an excuse. Your room proves my space argument is BS, so I just need another excuse to keep from having a philosophical discussion about it with a few friends. Discussions like that are easier in an internet forum with made-up user names than they are in person with casual friends.

ezra_s

Forum Donor
My first experience with 5.1 was in a cinema here in Spain called Kinepolis, they had been certified THX and they had Dolby Digital, probably one of the few if not the first in Madrid with DD and good quality to enjoy it.

There I went to watch Studio 54, not for the effects or anything, I had no idea what I was getting there. (edit: the correct title is "54", it was in 1998, link to movie in imdb -> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120577/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1)

Thing is... after I got out I got amazed not that much for the movie, which has great music, but also the quality of the the sound of the music in that movie and since then I tried to recreate that kind of sound quality at home for movies.

The special thing i felt with DD is it "surrounds" you and the sound was strong and impressive.

Stereo and hi-fi are a totally different thing, you try to play the music which has been recorded in all sorts of forms and sources and you try to reproduce it faitfully as it was recorded, while DD and other formats are made to "modify" or "improve" the source, not to be faithful to it or at least, that's the impression I get (I am ignorant about how it is made nor I worried too much about it).

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
How good is the upmixing nowdays, and are there any options besides bloated AVRs?
A. Better but not great, imho.
B. Yes. File playback from server.

Lbstyling

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have a 65 inch OLED TV and had all the surround kit you can shake a stick at, but the truth is, I much prefer my laptop and a pair of (ridiculously good!) 1More triple driver earphones EQed flat using Jriver player. My 3 year old uses the telly.

SimpleTheater

Forum Donor
Yes, unless you are interested in concerts on blu-ray. I never liked going to rock concerts because of the cost, crowds and driving back and forth. Surround sound for a concert, if done well, can make you feel as if you’re in the crowd. While some may call this a gimmick, I’m planning on buying four scent-a-roma’s that pipe in cigarette and marijuana smells so you really feel like you’re there.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you really were "fussy" about your music, you'd have a quality multich system.

Spoken like a multichannel dogmatist. ;):p

One can be fussy about two channel or multichannel music. Clearly.

The vast majority of music is produced in stereo. If one were being "fussy" about hearing the original mix, one would listen to the original
stereo presentation (rather than, say, distort the mix, changing it to an upmixed surround version).

Otherwise...you've abandoned the goal of fideity (accuracy)...to change the sound for your subjective preference. ;)

Foxenfurter

When I got my first HD large screen TV, I was planning on getting the full shebang HT system, but I got a fairly cheap soundbar subwoofer as a stop-gap. 7 years later and I don't really feel the need to change.
The grief I would get about cables and sound inputs not working etc. simply not worth it. I learned my lesson, when I tried switching from our Sky subscription, to a cheaper better quality more choice alternative. She who must be obeyed was not happy, as it was more tricky to use. I was back on Sky within a month - humbling....

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
One thing I'm glad mostly went away in home theater was the "High End Video Cable" stuff, which mirrored the high end audio cable business.
Before HDMI, reviewers (and home theater enthusiasts) used to wax rhapsodic about "richer color, deeper black levels, higher contrast, sharper, more dimensional" images coming from uber expensive boutique cables (once the cable makers saw another market opened up to take advantage of). So there was subjectivist approach even in home theater.

Which I found even weirder than in the audio realm. Because any of the purported visible benefits described between a cheap cable and expensive cable were well in the realm of the measurable - measurable by just the type of equipment any decent calibrationist would own. So it would amaze me that a video reviewer, who could also calibrate displays, would NEVER provide any calibration graphs showing the boutique cable had produced deeper black levels and richer color etc. (Nor of course did the manufacturers who promised those visible results).

It was such a strange disconnect in the video world.

(And, yes, it did continue a little bit in to the digital realm, with silly reviews about the visible differences between HDMI cables. But those mostly died out).

M00ndancer

Forum Donor
I tried my first home surround system about ten or fifteen years ago. A 5.1 system that cost about $3,500 all together. Was more than I wanted to spend, and was really disappointed by the sound quality. To the point where I was ready to believe it when I read that digital sound is filled with artifact, and all analog is a better way to go. Years and many dollars later, I found it really was the speakers holding the whole thing back all along.

I was in a similar situation. Not that expensive though. My old 5.1 VideoLogic DigiTheatre DTS system didn't work properly so I got a 5.1 system with a AVR and Harman Kardon HKTS 7 speaker system. Worked ok for movies but was really bad for stereo content even when using it as 2.1 system.
Upgraded the speakers and now it's a LOT better than before both the center channel and the stereo (2.1) performance. I never watch TV. Some few Tv-series. I also prefer to get the movies I really want to see on disc. Seldom go to concerts, but I try to get the live music I want on multichannel disc. When it's good is really good, but there a a lot of "multi-channel" disc that basically sucks. Still listen to the Hell freezes over DVD from the Eagles MTV concert. Chills...

PolkFan

Forum Donor
One thing I'm glad mostly went away in home theater was the "High End Video Cable" stuff, which mirrored the high end audio cable business.
Before HDMI, reviewers (and home theater enthusiasts) used to wax rhapsodic about "richer color, deeper black levels, higher contrast, sharper, more dimensional" images coming from uber expensive boutique cables (once the cable makers saw another market opened up to take advantage of). So there was subjectivist approach even in home theater.

Which I found even weirder than in the audio realm. Because any of the purported visible benefits described between a cheap cable and expensive cable were well in the realm of the measurable - measurable by just the type of equipment any decent calibrationist would own. So it would amaze me that a video reviewer, who could also calibrate displays, would NEVER provide any calibration graphs showing the boutique cable had produced deeper black levels and richer color etc. (Nor of course did the manufacturers who promised those visible results).

It was such a strange disconnect in the video world.

(And, yes, it did continue a little bit in to the digital realm, with silly reviews about the visible differences between HDMI cables. But those mostly died out).

Was all so silly as most still had the standard composite cables which suck i was almost sad that S-video didn't take off to replace it. Which offerred superior image quality. Main reason why component cables didn't see more usage was probably over DRM.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Having said all that, if I really just had my heart set on building a system using only two speakers, I would, as who cares what anyone else thinks, right? But I wouldn't kid myself that sound quality would somehow be optimal just because it is a really old and well known configuration.
Amen, that's the super short of it.

My quirk is that I don't watch TV. I almost hate saying it because for so many years that was a sort of virtue signal - TV being some crass "idiot box" that people who had "better things to do" didn't watch, the individual diverting from the herd. I'm actually embarrassed by the fact I don't watch TV (or very, very little of it) because I know this is a true golden age of television in terms of quality. I'm missing out on tons of it.
Very true Matt, I have always got a kick out of the many folks that post "I don't watch TV" as if it's some kind of badge of honor proving they have better taste or are better educated or just plain superior to the rest of the world around them. Yes there's tons of crap on TV, just like there's tons of crappy books written and BS technical "white papers" released. On the other hand you can catch all sort of educational programs, great musical programs on both PBS and other channels, and documentary's like HBO's Chernobyl series. Like the internet, TV is a universe full of the good and the bad.

I feel that perhaps anything above 5.1 might be a gimmick but i mean i play games and such and miss hearing things like a car moving from top left to my rear left speaker. Makes the whole room feel like its in the game or something, same can be said for movies.
I don't game, but in no way is the Atmos type of overhead immersive experience a "gimmick". While difficult for many to properly install it does add a whole new dimension to the sound experience from good source material. In reality sound is 3D with sources coming from not only around us but overhead too. I've also heard that some of the new games written in Atmos sound can be very exciting to experience.

something I have appreciated since that old vinyl Pink Floyd album and Radio Shack decoder I had ca. 1976 or so, and I have been slowly building my SACD collection. (Most of the good stuff Kal recommends is unobtanium, thus "sneaky devil".)
I first got into multich with a Marantz 2440 quad adapter/amp as a add-on to my 2270 receiver around 1976. Using sources such as vinyl with SQ, QS, and CD4 decoders. Lots of great quad stuff was being released back then. Things have really greatly improved today, sad some of the market has become a bit greedy with asking prices on a lot used recordings going thru the roof along with the prices of used Oppo disc players. :mad:

If I want to experience joy and the sound of birds all around, I go outdoors.
Be careful, sooner or later they'll crap on your head. :p

I have friends "all-in" on stereo who deride my multichannel system -- until they hear it.
I had to laugh at the post urging you not to "cheap out" on your center channel, obviously he didn't know you. ;) I've had to make some compromises with my system due to both budget and room size but when we start talking about systems at your level the fact is that there's nothing even the most expensive 2 channel rig can do that your multich wouldn't totally blow out of the water. SOTA stereo is available to you with a push of a button, disabling the rest of the channels if that's what you'd prefer at the moment.

I've always liked the idea, but it never seemed worth it when 99%+ of the content is stereo.
How good is the upmixing nowdays, and are there any options besides bloated AVRs?
100% of the time for me.
Very, very good. As Ron states, he and myself upsample near 100% of the time. And then there's none other than the highly respected audio engineer Floyd Toole who feels the same. I believe we're all using mostly Auro 3D for upmixing currently but yea there are other options besides the 3 or 4 currently included with most AVR's. There are a number of stand-alone upmixers out there, off the top of my head only SpecWeb 2.2 comes immediately to mind. The limited experience I have with it showed it to be a very well done program.
Do take a minute to read what Floyd had to say on upmixing here.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...standards-setup-thoughts-etc.3295/post-236411

My final thoughts here on the subject are that I do have a hard time understanding how the OP and others who supposedly are here because they have an interest high quality sound reproduction can dismiss an interest and denigrate it in any form of it outside their limited 2 channel music world? Sound is sound, and I want the best I can accomplish from all sources of entertainment media. But that's just me and I understand that, but why then start a post to put us down? The intolerance of others towards our expanded interest is confusing. I believe it's highly possible they push back under the fear that other forms of high fidelity systems puts theirs at risk of being revealed as inferior.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
While some may call this a gimmick, I’m planning on buying four scent-a-roma’s that pipe in cigarette and marijuana smells so you really feel like you’re there.
Why not just roll yourself a fatty and enjoy the real thing? :)

Top Bottom