• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anyone else just not bothered by home theatre?

Tom C

Major Contributor
To those who have tried a powered speaker driven by an AVR. I’m having a devil of a time with hum. RCA pre outs on the AVR are connected to XLR input on JBL’s by male RCA to male XLR cable (Hosa). Any thoughts/suggestions/tips?

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
To those who have tried a powered speaker driven by an AVR. I’m having a devil of a time with hum. RCA pre outs on the AVR are connected to XLR input on JBL’s by male RCA to male XLR cable (Hosa). Any thoughts/suggestions/tips?
I've had spotty results with the Hosa adapters. Sometimes (quite often), they are fine but sometimes they are noisy. I do not think it is just a question of "quality." Could be something in the wiring. Try some others. I've had better results with Cardas and Kubala-Sosna.

Putter

Forum Donor
This.

90% of the movies I watch were probably recorded on a rented Nagra III in glorious mono, so my 2.1 hifi system is more than adequate for the task. Not that I don't take my 'home theatre' experience seriously – I spend more than I care to admit on blu-rays – not only due to the fact than none of the streaming services have anything actually worth watching. But my house is small and I have a lot of um ... stuff, so I simply don't have room for 5 or 7 or more speakers anywhere.

And while I have nothing philosophically against multichannel audio I've never actually heard a movie soundtrack where the surround effects added anything to the experience other than mild annoyance. The amount of worthwhile music available in multichannel is so vanishingly small that it's not worth bothering with either. I find it all a bit childish really – somewhat akin to the 3D craze that seems to reappear every decade or so and thankfully disappears just as fast.

Incedentally, I live in the well-to-do end of one of the richest countries in the world yet I have honestly never met anyone with what I would call a 'home theatre'. Sure there are plenty of 50, 60 or even 70+ inch TVs about but I am not acquainted with anyone or even heard of anyone who has even a subwoofer, let alone a multichannel 'HT' setup or dedicated room. The most advanced I've seen is a soundbar under the 65' TV. I do have a colleague who's former husband had a 5.1 setup in the cellar a decade or so ago, but he was an industry professional so that really doesn't count.

There's plenty of quality multichannel music available. Most symphonies benefit from multichannel, Steven Wilson has made several acclaimed remasters of various classic rock acts (Yes, Gentle Giant, Jethro Tull) some of which I have and enjoy. Almost all concert dvd's are in multichannel and the better ones bring you right to the concert.

The argument that would you rather spend x amount of music on a home theater system vs. a stereo system is sort of like asking would you spend $100,000 on a luxury car when you can buy 2 cars for $50,000. It depends on your priorities.

Tom C

Major Contributor
It’s interesting how strong the opinions are on the topic of this thread. I tried my first home surround system about ten or fifteen years ago. A 5.1 system that cost about $3,500 all together. Was more than I wanted to spend, and was really disappointed by the sound quality. To the point where I was ready to believe it when I read that digital sound is filled with artifact, and all analog is a better way to go. Years and many dollars later, I found it really was the speakers holding the whole thing back all along. I still have and use that old AVR, and now that I have a good set of speakers, the dialog is clear and the sound is pretty satisfying, even at moderate volume. Used to keep turning the volume higher and higher to try and decipher the muddy dialog, but that never worked, and having a center channel didn’t fix it.
Occasionally, a TV series comes along that’s pretty engaging. One personal favorite was the AMC series Turn, about Washington’s spy ring during the revolutionary war. But most of what we watch is from long ago. Really like Eddie Muller’s Noir Alley. Regardless of how old or new the film is, the soundtrack can significantly benefit from a good sound system.
Got started on multichannel again mostly because of what I read here. So, I used to have the point of view of the OP. For me, it was because the sound quality of the system I had made me think home theater and multichannel wasn’t worth the time, expense and trouble. But then put together a system for multichannel music that’s working out much better, so why not use it for movies too, since the gear is there.

Tom C

Major Contributor
I've had spotty results with the Hosa adapters. Sometimes (quite often), they are fine but sometimes they are noisy. I do not think it is just a question of "quality." Could be something in the wiring. Try some others. I've had better results with Cardas and Kubala-Sosna.
Thanks Kal. I do probably need to try a different cable.
BTW, did you ever build your XLR switch box? Could a patch bay get the job done?

PolkFan

Forum Donor
I started all this when i was just a kid with my dad and watching some sweet horror movies that i probably shouldn't have lol hearing zombies behind me and having rumble in movies like deep impact and war of the worlds is just so amazing. To me HT setups replaced the movie theater when it came out.

Now a days i don't get to have that so instead i get the best pair of cans that i can afford for a amazing sound stage and just do that its almost as good to me for sure cheaper :)

Also i HATE tinny sounded crap to death which is all we have on smart TV's older TV's at least had more room to get down to 100hz or so now we are lucky if it hits 200.

Sound bar is essential at the very least. I find it sad that this industry as a whole is dying i kind of blame audiophiles for it.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Thanks Kal. I do probably need to try a different cable.
BTW, did you ever build your XLR switch box? Could a patch bay get the job done?
Nope. I cannot get up to speed on the project although I've done a fair amount of preparation. I think it comes down to the effort involved in making the final physical product without a machine shop. What I have settled on is a set of 8 channel XLR-to-DB25 snakes and a db25 coupler that lets me swap sources to the amps in less than 30 seconds.

PolkFan

Forum Donor
Exactly.

I could certainly afford the money, time and effort to set up a good multi-channel setup in my living room, but I simply cannot see the value of doing so. I have a perfectly fine stereo setup with two well-integrated subwoofers, going multi-channel over that holds absolutely no value nor interest for me, because I have no particular interest in hollow flashy junkfood movies.

The picture is in front of me, I'm perfectly fine with the sound also coming from in front of me. Sound quality matters, not the number of speakers.

Multi-channel is a gimmick, just like 3D. It adds flash and no substance.

I feel that perhaps anything above 5.1 might be a gimmick but i mean i play games and such and miss hearing things like a car moving from top left to my rear left speaker. Makes the whole room feel like its in the game or something, same can be said for movies. But i do agree with others here i'd ALWAYS start with 2 amazing speakers and then slowly add more.

direstraitsfan98

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
How's this for an idea.

Two JBL Studio 590 for front mains
One JBL Studio 520C center channel
Two JBL Studio 530 for rear left and rights

I don't know what sub you would/could get but there's a lot out there. Grab two. Maybe two SVS subs.

For amps I would probably get a Emotiva XP2 or the Monolith by Monoprice 2 channel amp, to power the front 590's. A Denon AVR (mid tier latest model) would function as your AVR/Dac/Pre/processor, power the center and rear channels, and also handle bass management to your subs.

I think all of this would run under $3500 after I ran the numbers, assuming you bought the JBL stuff on sale from the website.

Thoughts? I am pretty sure this would yield a state of the art home theater if you did this. Along with having the traditional neutral sound signature JBL is known for, it would make for an excellent hifi system as well. Not only that you but are free to upgrade as you please later on, either by getting a better amp, home theater processor, or better JBL fronts, like the 1400 Array.

Newk Yuler

No, bro. It's a Dell XPS 15 with a 15+ inch rich 1080p screen two feet from my face. I agree with Lynch about the iPhone but that would be just as huge by anyone who watched a movie a few inches from his face on a smart phone. I know a couple of people who are that extremely near sighted. And the resolution would be similar because the manufacturers have convinced users they need to keep upgrading their phones, in this case to get 1080p or higher resolution on a truly dinky screen. So Lynch is actually wrong for super near sighted people who do that.

It's getting obvious folks are cooped up, bored, and getting snippy with this lock down.

direstraitsfan98

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I was just kidding around. I love having an excuse to share that video.

Also, Lynch is an absolute MASTER of sound design. Watching Eraserhead or Mulholland Drive with a proper subwoofer is a surreal, wacky experience, and without one you are robbed of emotion and atmosphere of the scene. The entirety of Eraserhead is filled with ominous LFE that never really goes away. The diner scene in Mulholland Drive (you know the one) is 10 times more tense and terrifying with the low rumble that Lynch slowly amps up as the scene progressing, until it's a crescendo of LFE. I almost felt like the character in that scene the first time I watched it with my sub, and that was my SECOND viewing and knew what was coming!

Last edited:

PolkFan

Forum Donor
I'm sure you have a nice setup that is the envy of everyone you know. You seem very invested in it, to the point of jumping to defend its virtues to "non-believers", which I'm sure is rather divisive in normal conversation.

You know what, you win. I'm too old to care about gadget wankfests.

All do respect this seems a bit much. I mean i get your point i really do. But i mean this is audio science after all and i'm pretty sure most here care quite a bit about audio in a objective matter. Out of all the comments someone said to you i actually only agreed with one the most and that is the guy who makes the content himself. Being a major movie nut i have to agree with him.

That said i do think things get a bit over blown i mean i think we are at 11.2 or something now lol can you even think about having that many speakers in a typical livingroom. I shake my head and i'm a major geek.

My grandma still enjoys her content in good old mono on her 21.5 inch TV and i say good for her she will save a lot of $$$. Blame my dad for getting me into this stuff anyways. Lived my whole life with it and pretty much feel it replaced the movie theater as a whole.

Last edited:

PolkFan

Forum Donor
Could this be another strawman; the implication that I somehow force my enjoyment of audio gear and home theater upon others, clueless to any discomfort this might cause?

Do you really need to do that?

Have you noticed that you are in a forum mainly devoted to discussing *gadgets* (gear)?

You seem simply unhappy with other people enjoying the gear you don't enjoy, to the point of continually using derogatory language like "gadgets" for the ones you don't like and "wankfests" for those who dare like them. Do you see the very long threads with people going in to fine detail in the speaker/amp/dac review forums to be "wankfests?" Why are you here if you don't like the site of people getting in to equipment talk?

Perhaps with even more advancing age will come the wisdom to not be so insulting towards what others like that you may not.

Again: if you don't like surround sound and are perfectly happy with 2 channel for movies...no one is telling you not to enjoy it.
We all have our own interests, things that excite us, and no one is telling you not to follow your own muse.

Cheers.

It would be like me at linustechtips site posting about how much i don't care about having fancy graphics in my game and my GTX 750Ti is just fine :)

PolkFan

Forum Donor
Same here. I have nothing against people who don't care about the home theater experience. I totally get it. I have friends who are all about elaborate coffee-making, with their expensive coffee-making machines. I'm "whatever, just gimme a cappuccino, whatever." But I'm happy they have an enthusiasm for it even if I don't care. I have watch-fanatic friends; I wear the cheapest old digital Casio I could find. We all have our things.

As I mentioned: I often go over to friend's houses to watch movies. None of them, whether I'm watching an old CRT or whatever, need apologize for their set up. I don't care. Truly. I am completely in to it because I'll always take watching movies with friends over a more technically impressive version watching solo.

My quirk is that I don't watch TV. I almost hate saying it because for so many years that was a sort of virtue signal - TV being some crass "idiot box" that people who had "better things to do" didn't watch, the individual diverting from the herd. I'm actually embarrassed by the fact I don't watch TV (or very, very little of it) because I know this is a true golden age of television in terms of quality. I'm missing out on tons of it.

But there is just something about content made for TV - TV series in particular - that doesn't grab me. I can still see all the incentive-driven moves in the script/editing etc, that make it "TV" vs "A Film." It's a residual film-snob thing I'm sure, but I have such a hard time being grabbed by a TV show. Tried Breaking Bad, tried Game Of Thrones, tried Mad Men, tried others, just couldn't hook me. (And the thing is I know that being hooked by a TV show is a great thing, it's a fantastic experience!)

Man if breaking bad couldn't grab you i'd cancel my TV subscription immediately lol

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor

There are a bunch of RCA ground isolators on Amazon, Monoprice, Parts Express, etc. E.g. https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=rca+ground+isolator&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

Another alternative for low-power components is a powerline ground isolator like Ebtech's Hum-X: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HumX--ebtech-hum-by-ground-loop-hum-exterminator

HTH - Don

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
On HT: Back in 1987-1988 when I was auditioning speakers I first heard a home theater setup. It was pretty crude back then but sounded impressive. I did not jump on the bandwagon until maybe 2007 or so when we finished our basement and I got my very own little media room. I (and the family) like the more immersive experience and I gradually went to larger screens (65" now) for a more movie-like experience. That said, I am much more tolerant of audio when watching a movie, since the focus is mainly on the screen. But as I have slowly upgraded I have found the experience improves with better speakers and "stuff". That sneaky devil @Kal Rubinson led me to multichannel music, something I have appreciated since that old vinyl Pink Floyd album and Radio Shack decoder I had ca. 1976 or so, and I have been slowly building my SACD collection. (Most of the good stuff Kal recommends is unobtanium, thus "sneaky devil".) That was mainly what drove my desire for more capable surround speakers to where my L/R, surrounds, and rears are all the same now. Cheaped out on the center because there's not room for a big floor-stander in front of the TV, and I am now planning to add some "high" speakers in an Atmos setup. Assuming the market goes back up before I retire. Although, if it doesn't recover at least fairly decently, retire won't be in my lexicon...

I find myself using one of the surround modes about half the time even for stereo CDs (the horror!) And I am well aware of how many folk at the dawn of "hi-fi" advocated for at least three channels (e.g. the Klipsch Heresy was designed to be a center speaker).

FWIWFM - Don

PolkFan

Forum Donor
@DonH56

Ah man don't cheap out on the center man that's where 70% of the audio comes from according to Polk Audio(Yes that is where i got my name from love polk audio speakers, not much else from them)

You can grab some decent smaller center if space is a major concern and generally it is for the center.

Top Bottom